U.S. Poverty Weekly Update April 8, 2014
I know what we get when we feed hungry kids at school; what I want to know is what we get for giving ‘free lunches’ to multimillionaire CEOs through tax loopholes.
— RESULTS Columbus volunteer Rachael Dorothy in a April 3 letter to the editor in the Columbus Dispatch
New and Urgent in This Week's Update (Two-Ten-Twenty Actions)
- Got Two Minutes? Save the Date for RESULTS Tavis Smiley Event (April 29); No U.S. Poverty National Conference Call This Weekend (April Action)
- Got Ten Minutes? Start Planning for Tavis Smiley Outreach Event on April 29 (April Action)
- Got Twenty Minutes? Start Inviting People to the April 29 Event with Tavis Smiley (April Action)
Latest from Washington, DC
- Put in Face-to-Face Requests for April Recess
- RESULTS International Conference – One Week Left to Get Early Bird Discount and Apply for REAL Change
- Outreach Successes and Upcoming Events
- Quick News
Got Two Minutes? Save the Date for RESULTS Tavis Smiley Event (April 29); No U.S. Poverty National Conference Call This Weekend
As mentioned last week, this April is outreach month at RESULTS. To help you grow your local groups and action networks this month, we are hosting a national outreach event with radio and television talk show host Tavis Smiley. This “virtual town hall” is set for Tuesday, April 29 at 8:00 pm ET. Use this opportunity to reach out to new people in your community to learn more about RESULTS.
So you can focus all your efforts in having a great outreach event, there will be no RESULTS U.S. Poverty National Conference Call this Saturday, April 12 at 12:30pm ET.
TAKE ACTION: Take two minutes to mark, underline, highlight, emoji, and flag Tuesday, April 29 at 8:00 pm ET in your calendar for the RESULTS Tavis Smiley Virtual Town Hall Event. Save that date and start planning how you can use this event to grow your local group and local action networks (see more below). We will have details on how to access the call soon. Because of this event, there will be NO RESULTS U.S. POVERTY NATIONAL CONFERENCE CALL THIS SATURDAY (but the RESULTS Global Poverty National Conference Call will happen as scheduled at 2:00 pm ET). Our next regular U.S. Poverty National Conference Call will be on Saturday, May 10.
Got Ten Minutes? Start Planning for Tavis Smiley Outreach Event on April 29 (April Action)
RESULTS is excited to announce that National Public Radio host and anti-poverty advocate Tavis Smiley will be holding a national “virtual town hall” event with RESULTS this month! Mr. Smiley is currently the host of the late-night television talk show Tavis Smiley on PBS, as well as The Tavis Smiley Show and Smiley & West both from Public Radio International (PRI), and the daily radio program, Tavis Talks, on the Tavis Smiley Network (TSN). He is also the author of 16 books, including his latest The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto, co-authored with Dr. Cornell West of Princeton University. We are thrilled that Mr. Smiley can share with us his insights and inspiration on the work to end poverty in America (note: Mr. Smiley will also be speaking in-person at the RESULTS International Conference).
We now have the date for this event – Tuesday, April 29 at 8:00 pm ET. This event is a perfect opportunity for you to do outreach in your community. Mr. Smiley’s national reputation will help attract new people to RESULTS, making it easier for you to grow your local groups. With only three weeks until the event, start planning now!
TAKE ACTION: Take ten minutes to start planning for the virtual town hall with Tavis Smiley on April 29. Here are things you can do now to get ready:
- Choose an event that best suits your group. For the Tavis Smiley Virtual Town Hall, what kind of outreach event works best for your group? A house party? An event in a larger space? Choose the location that can accommodate all the people you expect to attend and that is easy to find. You’ll want to make sure it has enough parking and/or is accessible to public transportation. Finally, you will need access to a speakerphone and possible the internet for the event (more details later), so please plan accordingly.
- Draft an agenda for your local event. Draft an agenda that builds in time to tell people about your local group and how to get involved. You can use this extra time to share your group’s recent activities, highlight a current RESULTS issue, and/or take an action. You’ll also want to reserve time at the end to invite people to get involved with your local group (have RESULTS Participation Forms available). We’ll have sample agendas available on our National Outreach Event page later this week.
- Talk with your local group. Even though there is no RESULTS U.S. Poverty National Conference Call this weekend, we encourage you to meet with your groups in person or over the phone in the next week to coordinate your efforts. This will help you better plan your outreach event and avoid duplicating tasks. For U.S. Poverty Free Agents, we will discuss planning for the outreach event on next Tuesdays Free Agents calls.
If you need help brainstorming ideas or planning for your event, please contact Jos Linn ([email protected]) or Meredith Dodson ([email protected]).
Got Twenty Minutes? Start Inviting People to the April 29 Event with Tavis Smiley (April Action)
The RESULTS Virtual Town Hall with Tavis Smiley is a unique event for RESULTS and we want to make the most of it. We are always looking to help you grow and strengthen your local groups and our national network of volunteers. National outreach events like this give us the opportunity to reach out to a whole new group of people. Many of you talked about wanting to recruit new members for your group as part of your 2014 Group Planning. Perhaps your group wants to add 2 or 4 or 6 members this year. Or perhaps you’re looking to expand your local action network. The Tavis Smiley event could help you accomplish your outreach goals in one fell swoop.
How can you make sure your event is successful? Personal inviting. Personal inviting is the key to any successful event. You can have the best venue, the best agenda, the best materials, but they won’t mean anything if no one shows up. That’s why personal inviting is so important. While mass e-mails and Facebook invitations are easy and convenient, they are not enough. Americans are inundated with digital information and ignore most of it. But a personal invitation – a conversation, a phone call, a personal e-mail followed by a phone call – that breaks through the noise. RESULTS has known this for years and it has been the secret to our success. We know that if you want to get someone’s attention, be it a member of Congress, a local media contact, or potential new volunteer, you have to make it personal. Think about it: if someone sends you a mass e-mail about an event, you might read it or might not. But if someone you know reaches out to you individually and personally and invites you to that event, you are more likely to come. It’s that simple.
TAKE ACTION: Take twenty minutes to start inviting guests for your upcoming outreach meeting as part of the April 29 Virtual Town Hall with Tavis Smiley. Here are some tips to help you:
- Make a List of People You Want to Invite. Personally invite friends, colleagues, and acquaintances to attend. Even if they’ve come to events before and never gotten involved, invite them again. You never know when someone is ready to get engaged. Also include coalition allies and others you’ve connected with through RESULTS and other local efforts. Be sure to compare your list with the list from other members of your local RESULTS group so as to avoid duplication.
- Cast your net as wide as possible. Invite people outside your local area to attend the event. We want as many people as possible participating so invite people you know in other cities and other states to register at: www.tinyurl.com/TavisSmileyEvent. If there is a local RESULTS group in their area, we’ll connect them. If not, they might want to help get one started.
- Start Inviting Now. Even if you don’t have the logistical details of your meeting set up, reach out to the people on your list, ask them to “Save the Date”, and urge them to attend. With only three weeks until April 29, you’ll want to get started now; otherwise people’s schedules will fill up. Use our Virtual Town Hall Outreach Flyer and our Outreach Laser Talk to help get the word out. Also, our National Outreach Event page has a sample e-mail you can cut, paste, and personalize (at the bottom of the page).
- Encourage New People to Register for the Event. When inviting new people to your local event, please have them RSVP for the April 29 event online. This will help us get their contact information for follow-up after the event. They can register at: www.tinyurl.com/TavisSmileyEvent.
The April Action will have helpful tips and advice to make your event a success (this will be available once all the details of the April 29 event are confirmed later this week). In the meantime, our National Outreach Event page these and other resources available to help you. If you have questions about the April 29 event, please contact Jos Linn ([email protected]) or Meredith Dodson ([email protected]) for assistance.
Put in Face-to-Face Requests for April Recess
Starting at the end of this week, Congress will be on recess for two weeks. This is a great opportunity to meet with your members of Congress while their home. This is an election year and if we want expanding economic mobility in America to be a major topic of conversation during this election cycle, we need to be talking to our representatives and senators now. See our U.S. Poverty Campaigns Summary for an overview of our 2014 issues.
We know these meetings can be hard to schedule, but we also know they are essential in reaching our goal of ending poverty in America. Congressional staff rate face-to-face meetings with constituents as the most effective way to sway a member of Congress’ opinion on an issue. And you won’t be alone. RESULTS staff will help you prepare, answer your questions, and send you materials before you even walk out the door for your meeting.
TAKE ACTION: Please submit your requests now for face-to-face meetings during the next two weeks. Contact schedulers today (names can be found on our Elected Officials page) so you can get on their schedule as soon as possible. Use our downloadable meeting request letter or our online version to make your requests. Be sure to put in requests for all the representatives your group covers and both senators in your state. Also, please ask the scheduler about any public events or town halls your members of Congress may be holding during the recess and plan to attend to ask a question.
Once you get a meeting or town hall scheduled, please contact Meredith Dodson ([email protected]) for individualized coaching on what issues and messages to use in your meeting. Also, plan to take a copy of our Economic Mobility and Early Childhood lobby request sheets to your meetings.
RESULTS International Conference – One Week Left to Get Early Bird Discount and Apply for REAL Change
This week’s RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund 2014 International Conference update is short and simple – don’t be late!
On April 15, the Early Bird conference registration fee of $165 will expire. After that, the registration increases to $240. The deadline will not be extended. If you’re planning to attend this year’s conference, now is the time to register. This is going to be our biggest and best conference yet so don’t miss out.
Register for the RESULTS International Conference TODAY!
In addition, the deadline to apply for the REAL Change Fellowship also expires on April 15. If you are between 18 and 28 years old and want to learn how you can end poverty, apply today! If you have questions, please contact Carly Pildis at [email protected].
Outreach Successes and Upcoming Events
We are excited to announce that we’ve started two new RESULTS U.S. Poverty groups! Last Tuesday, Jos Linn met with about 20 guests at a RESULTS event in Gig Harbor, WA. It was a great meeting with great conversation. Six people signed up to form a new U.S. Poverty group with the potential for several more to join in the coming weeks. The group begins its “RESULTS Basics” training next Wednesday, April 16 at 10:00 am PT. Jos also met with potential advocates in Portland, OR and members of the new RESULTS group in Spokane, WA. If you’d like to more information about RESULTS’ work in Washington State and Oregon, please contact Jos Linn at [email protected]. Welcome, Gig Harbor and Spokane!
Then on Thursday, RESULTS Organizer Kristy Martino held an event on Portsmouth, NH. Ten people attended the meeting and all ten signed up to form a new group covering southern NH and ME. This was Kristy’s first group start meeting and she’s already batting .1000. The new “Sea Coast” group starts their RESULTS Basics training this Friday, April 11. For details to get connected to the new Sea Coast group, contact Kristy at [email protected]. Welcome Sea Coast!
Here are some upcoming RESULTS outreach/training events. If you know people in these areas, please invite them to attend or contact the designated point person to get them connected.
- April 10: RESULTS Outreach in Boston, MA. 6:00 pm ET in the 9th floor conference room at ABCD, 178 Tremont St. in downtown Boston. Contact Meredith Dodson ([email protected]) for details.
- April 10: RESULTS Global group start meeting in Burlington, VT, 5:30 pm ET. University of Vermont Library. Contact Kristy Martino ([email protected]) for details.
- April 13: RESULTS Spokane new group training, 2:30 pm PT. 1022 W. Shannon in Spokane, WA. Contact Jos Linn ([email protected]) for details.
- April 14: RESULTS Global group start meeting in Boise, ID, 7:00 pm MT. First Congregational UCC, 2201 Woodlawn Ave in Boise. Contact Lori Saltveit ([email protected]) for details.
- April 26: RESULTS Southern California Regional Conference, 9:30 – 5:30 pm PT. Laguna Woods Village, Clubhouse 1, 24232 Calle Aragon, Laguna Woods, CA. Contact Jos Linn ([email protected]) for details.
- April 29: RESULTS Outreach in Denver, CO. Contact Meredith Dodson ([email protected]) for details.
- April 30: Meredith Dodson presenting at the Circles USA conference in Fort Collins, CO. Contact Meredith ([email protected]) for details.
- April 30: RESULTS Outreach in Evansville, IN. Contact Myrdin Thompson ([email protected]) for details.
Witnesses to Hunger Event a Big Success. As noted last week, Witnesses to Hunger held several events in Washington, DC to educate members of Congress about the real impacts of poverty in America. The events were very successful, drawing the attention of key congressional leaders (see the RESULTS Facebook page for a picture of Witnesses meeting with Reps. Paul Ryan (R-WI-1) and Barbara Lee (D-CA-13). RESULTS International Conference speaker Shearine McGee was one of the Witnesses who attended and spoke. Thank you to everyone who reached out to your congressional offices urging them to attend these events. If they attended, be sure to thank them.
For updates on all our U.S. Poverty Campaigns, see our U.S. Poverty Campaigns Summary page on the RESULTS website.
Attend the RESULTS Intro Call Tomorrow Night. Our next bi-monthly RESULTS Introductory Call will be held tomorrow, April 9 at 9:00 pm ET. If you want to learn more about RESULTS and how you can get involved, plan to attend the call and/or invite a friend to call in too. You can register for this or another upcoming call at: https://www.results.org/take_action/become_a_results_activist/.
Join RESULTS Free Agents Calls Next Tuesday. The RESULTS U.S. Poverty Free Agents will be meeting next Tuesday, April 15 at 1:00 pm and 9:00 pm ET. If you live in an area with no active RESULTS U.S. Poverty group, please join us for this monthly call to support you in taking action. To participate, dial (443) 453-0034, passcode 703096.
Join the RESULTS Media Call Next Tuesday. The RESULTS Media Team will be meeting for their monthly support call next Tuesday, April 15 at 8:00 pm ET. If you want help in generating media in your community about ending poverty, plan to join this informative discussion. To participate, dial (712) 775-7399, passcode 954747#.
Give Feedback to Grassroots Board Members. The four RESULTS Grassroots Board Members (Heide Craig, Lydia Pendley, Ginnie Vogts, and Beth Wilson) would like to hear from you if you have questions or ideas about RESULTS and our work. Send your questions or suggestions to Heide at: [email protected].
RESULTS Activity Calendar
(See a complete calendar on the RESULTS website)
Upcoming Congressional Recesses: House and Senate: April 14-25. Request face-to-face meetings.
Wednesday, April 9: RESULTS Introductory Call, 9:00 pm ET. Register for this or another Intro Call at https://www.results.org/take_action/become_a_results_activist/.
Tuesday, April 15: RESULTS Media Support Call, 8:00 pm ET. (712) 775-7399, passcode 954747#.
Tuesday, April 15: RESULTS U.S. Poverty Free Agents Calls, 1:00 pm ET and 9:00 pm ET. (443) 453-0034, passcode 703096.
Saturday, June 21 – Tuesday, June 24: RESULTS International Conference, Washington, DC. REGISTER TODAY!
RESULTS Contact Information
Main Office: (p) (202) 783-7100, (f) (202) 466-1397, 1101 15th St NW, Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20005. If mailing a donation to our DC office, please address the envelope to the attention of Cynthia Stancil.
RESULTS U.S. Poverty Legislative and Grassroots Support Staff:
Meredith Dodson, Director of U.S. Poverty Campaigns, (202) 783-7100, x.116, [email protected].
Jos Linn, Grassroots Manager, U.S. Poverty Campaigns, (515) 288-3622, [email protected]
Myrdin Thompson, U.S. Poverty Grassroots Organizer, (502) 295-1315, [email protected]
Kristy Martino, U.S. Poverty Grassroots Organizer, (603) 531-7486, [email protected]
Ann Beltran, U.S. Poverty Volunteer Lobbyist, [email protected]
Cindy Changyit Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, (773) 236-7758, [email protected]
The RESULTS U.S. Poverty Update is sent out every Tuesday via email to RESULTS volunteers and allies all over the country. The purpose of these updates is to inform and activate RESULTS activists to take action on our U.S. poverty campaigns.