Global Weekly Update June 2, 2014
Top Action: Use June Action Sheet to Help Generate Media on the Global Partnership for Education
We have an audacious, yet reachable goal of 25 editorials, 30 op-eds, and 125 letters to the editor on the Global Partnership for Education, and we are in the final three weeks of this push we began in late winter.
Haven't gotten a piece in your local media market yet? It's not too late! Here are some options.
1. Use the June Action Sheet to Write a Letter to the Editor and Engage Others to Write, Too. Use the June Action sheet to write a letter to the editor and use our new Education & Action guide to create an outreach meeting to help get others writing! There are almost unlimited writing hooks in papers on education: Malala Yousafzai, the Nigeria crisis, teacher salaries, Common Core, charter schools, education budgets, etc.
3. Pitch an Editorial. Contact the editor of a newspaper and ask them to write an editorial on the current crisis in education and the opportunity we have to right things on June 26 at the pledging conference for the Global Partnership for Education. Use our media toolkit to prepare for and make your pitch.
Find a collection of other support resources on our website.
- Updated editorial packet, with new pitch angles and hooks to help you persuade your local writer or newspaper to cover GPE!
- Recording of the May Global National Conference Call on the Global Partnership for Education featuring Sarah Brown
- RESULTS Report: Greater Impact Through Partnership: 8 Reasons to Invest in the Global Partnership for Education
- A tip sheet to help you make the case to your local community of "why education, why now?"
- General help securing a meeting with your editorial board
- A sample meeting request you can customize
June 14 National Grassroots Conference Call to Feature Rep. Jan Schakowsky!
After securing 69 signers in 2011 and 70 signers in 2012 on similar letters, our global groups worked diligently to secure 81(!) signatures on a letter led by Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) calling on President Obama and USAID to pledge $250 million over two years at the June 26 Global Partnership for Education pledging conference in Brussels. Join us on our national conference call on Saturday, June 14 at 2 pm ET to hear from Rep. Schakowsky and put into context the important work we've been doing on GPE. Gather with others and dial in to (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before the call begins.
(By the way, the final list of letter signatures is on our website. Marvelous work, as this letter will send our message loud and clear.)
International Conference: Just Three Weeks Away!
*New Guest Speaker Announced* Seth Berkley, CEO of GAVI Alliance, will be joining us at this year's conference!
1. Preparation Checklist! Want to get ready for the conference? Can't attend this year but want to be part of the action from home? This checklist is what you need!
2. Lobby Day Meetings on Tuesday, June 24. Now is the time to book your Lobby Day meetings on Capitol Hill! It's going to be a powerful day as we descend on the Hill to make our case for the end of extreme poverty. Coming with others from your state? Get in touch with your fellow advocate attendees and work together to secure face-to-face meetings for that day with your senators. Coming solo or for the first time? Get in touch with Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for assistance with your Lobby Day bookings. And check out our best advice on securing a meeting. Can't attend the conference this year? Why not secure a face-to-face during August recess or make plans to dial via conference call into meetings being held by your fellow advocates on Tuesday, June 24?
IMPORTANT: Then, don't forget to report your meeting bookings. Let us know the details in our online form.
3. Legislative Handbook. Review, print, and bring to the conference the Legislative Handbook, a great primer on our issues.
4. Lobby Day Preparation. Once you have your Lobby Day meetings booked, schedule a group lobby prep session! First, check with your group to see how you best want to gather for a meeting. (Also, consider if you will be holding some meetings with U.S. poverty advocates or, in the case of the Senate, with other groups in your state). Check out your legislators' recent voting history by taking a look at the 113th Congressional Scorecard. Once your group is ready to request a time slot, e-mail Crickett Nicovich, Global Policy Associate, with the following information:
- Two preferred time slots for the meeting
- Who will be joining the call
- Preferred method of connecting for the call (Skype, direct line, etc.)
- Members of Congress with whom you'll be meeting and some relevant background on those members
And if you're coming to the conference on your own for the first time, please contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroot Associate, if you could use a hand!
5. Lobby Day Reception. Here is a sample invitation template for the June 24 evening reception. Invite your members of Congress!
6. Submit Photos! We are collecting photos from your groups and communities to put into a slide show during the International Conference. Please e-mail your photos to our office. For those who will not be with us in DC, be with us in spirit! Put a message about how YOU are helping end poverty or the positive change you wish to see in the world and include it in your photo.
7. Ask Questions! Do you have a question you'd like to submit to one of our main conference speakers? Submit your question online!
8. Agenda. Check out agenda updates online.
Virtual Dash and Vaccines Campaign Information
1. A Speedy Way to Fundraise! Everyone is invited to be part of our 2nd Annual Everyday Hero Virtual Dash. This a virtual event to raise money to support you and invite others to be heroes with us. It's a fun run or walk that you literally can do anywhere: your neighborhood, a track, even a treadmill. If you are coming the International Conference, join us at the DoubleTree Hilton in Crystal City on June 21 at 7 pm, and we'll head out together (some of us in superhero costume) for a 1 mile or 5K run/walk.
It's easy to participate!
- Register on our website for just $25.
- Choose a date between June 1-30, 2014.
- Walk. run, or even bike a distance meaningful to you: one mile, a 5K, 10 miles . . .
- We'll mail you our 2nd Annual "Everyday Heroes Medal" This year's is blue, so it’s different from last year's if you’re building a collection! If you are onsite for the run/walk, you will receive your medal at the International conference.
Perhaps gather a group of friends to walk/run together and make it a fundraising event or set up your own personal fundraising page and ask friends and family to donate online in support of your challenge!
2. Issue Call on Vaccines. Join us on June 10 at 9 pm ET for GAVI Replenishment: What's Next for our Vaccine Work. Dial in and learn more details about the primary campaign we'll be working on in the second half of the year, the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisations (GAVI) replenishment conference.
To join online: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/24803875
To join by phone: Dial (201) 479-4595, meeting code 24803875#
A $250 million U.S. contribution to the Global Partnership for Education would support quality education for over 29 million of the world’s poorest children, especially girls. That’s an investment we could all be proud of.
– Pattie Hofland; Raleigh News & Observer; May 20, 2014
For a complete calendar, see our website.
1. Next House and Senate Recesses of 2014: The week of the 4th of July holiday.
2. June 10, 9 pm ET. GAVI Replenishment: What's Next for our Vaccine Work. Dial in and learn more details about the primary campaign we'll be working on in the second half of the year, the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisations (GAVI) replenishment conference.
To join online: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/24803875. To join by phone: Dial (201) 479-4595, meeting code 24803875#.
3. June 11, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. June 14, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Campaigns. Join the call at (888) 409-6709. Guest speaker: Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL). Topic: The Global Partnership for Education.
5. June 16, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
6. June 17, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (712) 775-7300, passcode 954747. Get great tips, encouragement, and support from fellow advocates so that you can achieve powerful, effective media work.
7. June 21-24. 2014 RESULTS International Conference in Washington, D.C.
8. June 27, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.