Global Weekly Update December 2, 2013
U.S. Will Match Global Fund Contributions, Up To $5 Billion Over Three Years
As John Fawcett, Legislative Director, has stated, "[W]e’re thrilled to be able to share this statement from Joanne Carter applauding the President’s announcement [Monday] that the U.S. will contribute up to $5 billion to the Global Fund over the next three years . . . " Sources have told us that this pledge was not a foregone conclusion, that there was pessimism the pledge would be made, and that RESULTS and ACTION were virtually the only groups calling for the $5 billion specifically. Did your fantastic media work prior to the replenishment conference in Washington, DC, make a difference? Absolutely.
Take a look at the phenomenal list of nationwide media you produced, and then be sure to share it via Twitter (#bethegeneration), Facebook, and e-mail. Make sure your legislators receive copies as well. Then we'll look ahead in 2014 to helping support and transform this pledge into reality, as talked about by RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter in The Hill. (Also, take a look at a bipartisan, bicameral letter sent by members of Congress to the Obama Administration in support of PEPFAR and the Global Fund in the run-up to the replenishment.)
Celebrate #GivingTuesday Today!
Try these 3 simple steps and help RESULTS participate in this national day of giving!
1. Make a donation to RESULTS or RESULTS Educational Fund through our Annual Campaign link.
2. Take an "un-selfie" with your camera phone, a picture of yourself holding a sign saying you gave to RESULTS for Giving Tuesday.
3. Post your un-selfie to Facebook or Twitter and invite others to donate as well. Be sure to use the hashtags "#unselfie" and "#GivingTuesday" in your tweets!
Ending Strong in 2013, Looking Ahead to 2014
1. December Action Sheet: Protect Foreign Aid. The good news? For the most part, the poverty-focused development programs in the International Affairs budget for which RESULTS advocates have been spared major cuts, though there have been reductions. The bad news? U.S. investments in the International Affairs Budget have been cut by 19 percent since 2010, and more cuts could be on the way as Congress wrangles to come up with a 2014 budget deal that both parties can agree upon.
So we must do what we do best. We must raise our voices to protect live-saving poverty-focused foreign aid for next year and beyond.
Grab the December 2013 Action Sheet, grab a pencil or a laptop, and take a stand. Then ask a friend or your RESULTS group to do the same. As Senator Johnny Isakson (R-GA) has said, "We ought to make sure we are making investments in the people of the world, making investments in peace and security and democracy, and seeing to it that there is no hunger, seeing to it that there is more opportunity, seeing to it that there is clean water, that there is basic education for the people of the world.”
2. December National Grassroots Conference Call on Saturday, December 14. Mark your calendars for our final national grassroots conference call of the year! It will be a joint call with our U.S. poverty advocates around the country. It will be a great hour of information, encouragement, and celebration! Dial (888) 409-6709 at 2 pm ET on Saturday, December 14 to join.
3. 2014 Advocacy Planning Materials. Be on the watch for 2014 campaign information, individual and group planning sheets . . . all you need to kick off 2014's advocacy year right. And mark your calendars for our first national grassroots conference call of the year on January 11 focusing on new year planning! More soon.
4. Introductory Calls = A Great Way to Meet RESULTS. Do you know someone who heard of RESULTS at a recent fundraiser, or through conversation with you, and is curious to know more? Invite them to a 30-minute introductory call. Our quick, casual calls are great ways to hear from other interested folks, meet a RESULTS staffer, and get basic questions answered. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for an upcoming call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. Report Before 2013 Ends! We are barrelling toward 2014; have you reported all your advocacy actions and lobby meetings? Now's the time to use our handy online forms! Report 2013 advocacy actions and lobby meetings today!
Reclaiming Our Democracy Fall Tour Finishes Well
Sam Daley-Harris, founder of RESULTS and author of Reclaiming Our Democracy: Healing the Break Between People and Government, has just completed a fall tour of lectures and appearances showcasing the 20th anniversary re-release of his book. On many stops, RESULTS advocates were able to be present and share with attendees some information about getting involved with RESULTS; sister organization Citizens Climate Lobby was also able to be present throughout the tour. Read more about it, and view/hear interviews with Sam himself along the tour route, on our blog.
"We will stand with you every step of this journey until we reach the day that we know is possible, when all men and women can protect themselves from infection; a day when all people with HIV have access to the treatments that extend their lives; the day when there are no babies being born with HIV or AIDS, and when we achieve, at long last, what was once hard to imagine—and that’s an AIDS-free generation."
(For a complete calendar, see our website.)
1. Current Congressional Recesses: Senate: November 22-December 8.
2. December 4, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
3. December 13, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. December 14, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. This call will be a joint call with our fellow advocates working on domestic poverty advocacy! Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
5. January 6, 8 pm ET – CORRECTED special date. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
6. Next Monthly Media Support Call (updated) – Date is TBD for 2014. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
7. January 11, 2 pm ET. First RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Focus: Planning, dreaming, and scheming for impact in 2014!