Global Poverty Weekly Update April 15, 2019
Quote of the Week
“At the end of the day, coming to the Hill is one of the most exciting things you can ever do.”
~ Manilan Houle, RESULTS Advocate ~
Click for 30 seconds of encouragement to consider attending the International Conference this year!
Appropriations: Crunch Time in the Senate
We have four appropriations requests across our issues, and the Senate Subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations has a deadline for receiving appropriations requests of April 26, which means individual congressional offices will have earlier deadlines. Act now. Use this link for all four appropriations memos, as well as this laser talk and the April action sheet. Make a call to your senators, ask for the foreign policy aide, and take those requests to the Senate if you haven’t already!
Senate Sign-on letters for FY20
Details for each letter, including how to sign on, are on our website.
- Maternal and Child Health/Gavi/Nutrition Letter. The deadline to sign on is April 19.
- Basic Education and Global Partnership for Education Letter. The deadline to sign on is now April 22.
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria/PEPFAR Letter. The deadline to sign on is April 23.
- Bilateral Tuberculosis letter is April 24 at 12 pm ET.
Check on our main FY20 Appropriations tracking page for details on who has signed on.
Two More Weeks to “Set the Agenda” in Congress
Our “Set the Agenda” campaign finishes after the current two-week recess set for mid- to late-April . . . a great time for more meetings!
You and your groups can ask yourselves the “Set the Agenda” questions. Have you . . .
- Met with each congressional office you cover?
- Had at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress?
- Made an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting?
Don’t let us miss knowing about your achievements. Let us know through your reporting.
Invest in Yourself: The International Conference
- 2019 International Conference Earlybird Registration is Open. Earlybird rates are in effect until May 15. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in Washington, DC. You can also book your hotels through the conference site.
- What’s Fresh This Year? Check out the emerging schedule and make your plans! And watch this brief video which talks about the value of the IC in the words of past attendees!
- Enlist Your Community to Help You Get to the IC. Now is the time to start saving and start raising travel funds with this helpful sample letter. This letter is designed to help you garner funds locally due to the fact that your experience at the IC will be a benefit to your community. When you bring back what you’ve learned to your community, you widen the impact of the International Conference and engage in outreach. It’s a way to keep the power of the IC going, and it’s a way you demonstrate your leadership in your circles. A winning combination!
- Bob Dickerson Award. For more than 15 years, Bob Dickerson of Seattle was an inspiring RESULTS grassroots volunteer leader – tireless in his advocacy, unstinting in his encouragement and support of other activists, and a generous financial supporter of RESULTS’ work. At the IC, we seek to honor his spirit, found in our memories of him and found in the actions and attitudes of so many of our advocates. Nominate a fellow advocate today. Details are online, and the deadline to nominate is June 22.
Quick News . . . A Lot Going On!
- Call-in/Call-out Webinar. Tuesday, April 16, 8:30 pm ET. What should you do when you hear racist language? How should you respond to sexism? How can you be a good ally to traditionally marginalized groups? Moreover, what are the practices of “calling in” and “calling out”? How do they aid us in holding each other accountable for anti-oppression behaviors and a culture of inclusion, respect, and on-going learning? Find out with this important webinar led by Carly Pildis, Senior Associate, Advocacy and Organizing. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/934667610 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 934667610.
- Grassroots Board Nominations. Would you like to take a leadership in the governance of our RESULTS community? Do you know someone who you think would be a strong voice for guiding our national organization? We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting nominations for the RESULTS & RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member election, which will be held this summer. You can nominate someone who you think would be a strong voice representing RESULTS volunteers or you can nominate yourself if you want to take a bold new step in leadership. For all the details, go to our blog. Nominations will close on Sunday, May 12.
- Global Fund Advocacy Resources. At your next RESULTS meeting or gathering, you can make plans to pitch your paper with our new Global Fund editorial packet. Also, before you write, get inspired with this powerful piece by PBS NewsHour marking World TB Day.
- RESULTS Marketing Materials. Ever wish for print-at-home materials for your local outreach? Check out our marketing materials page.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Accepting Applications. The time to apply is winding down. Consider the online application for this leadership program for young leaders aged 18-30.
- Spring Friends and Family Campaign. More on that to come.
- June 4, 8 pm ET. Special all-advocate webinar on organizing with Dr. Hahrie Han. More details soon.
- Just Faith Engagement Program. Our friends at Just Faith are unveiling new program for advocates who are driven by their faith to engage in social action. Through the lens of the Christian faith, Just Engagement is an eight-week course that helps you to look at different ways to engage in your own grassroots advocacy efforts and create social change. Over the years, RESULTS volunteers have participated in Just Faith and found it complementary to their RESULTS work. If you’re interested in this new program. learn more and register here.
Congressional recess now until the end of April.
April 16, 8:30 pm ET. Call-in/Call-out Webinar. What are the practices of “calling in” and “calling out”? How do they aid us in holding each other accountable for anti-oppression behaviors and a culture of inclusion, respect, and on-going learning? Find out with this important webinar led by Carly Pildis, Senior Associate, Advocacy and Organizing. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/934667610 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 934667610.
April 17, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
April 18, 9 pm ET. Quiet Leadership. Continuing on the third Thursday of each month up until the International Conference, Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch is hosting an encore of the book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. You can find the syllabus online. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
May 1, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
May. Spring Friends and Family Campaign. More to come.
May 11, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Featuring Sibu Sibaca, international Global Fund advocate. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
May 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
June 4, 8 pm ET. Special all-advocate webinar on organizing with Dr. Hahrie Han. More details soon.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and register before the May 15 earlybird deadline!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.