Global Poverty Campaigns Weekly Update February 12, 2018
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of February 12, 2018
Quote of the Week
"Lawmakers need to hear how the policies hashed out in the halls of Congress affect real people across the country."
– RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter, reflecting on the mobilizing power of the #LettersGetLOUD campaign. Read more on our website.
Take Action: Write a Letter to the Editor Rejecting Cuts to Foreign Assistance
Leading with Action: FY19 Appropriations
Sitting at your kitchen table to make a budget, you prioritize the things that are most important for your family – providing daily meals, maintaining the roof over your head, ensuring your kids grow up healthy, and giving your kids every opportunity to succeed. Each year, every member of Congress has the opportunity to weigh in on our nation’s priorities through the appropriations process. Moreover, each year, RESULTS weighs in as well. This appropriations season, urge Congress to voice their support on issues that build the foundation to end poverty – health, education, and economic opportunity.
Speaking of our Support of the Global Partnership for Education . . .
#LettersGetLOUD Campaign Kicks Off!
RESULTS is kicking off the #LettersGetLOUD campaign to grow our movement and make our voices heard in 2018. We are organizing our communities to write letters to members of Congress about ending poverty, and then we’ll hand-deliver them as we meet with our members of Congress. We'll also hear your voices through the reading of these letters via videos shared on social media. (Check out the hashtag #LettersGetLOUD on Twitter.)
Go to our #LettersGetLOUD page for complete support materials, including a campaign guide, tips on reaching out to your community, materials you can order to enhance your outreach/letter-writing meeting, and other helps.
Now is the time for Congress to hear from us about how the decisions being made in Washington, D.C. affect all of us. Now is the time to get LOUD!
News to Use
1. Complete Group Planning. Please work with your Regional Coordinators or staff to complete your 2018 group planning. Planning helps groups achieve their goals. Dream and scheme about your stretch goals and make sure you have your foundation set for a powerful year. Please work to complete and submit your group plans as soon as possible. As part of your group planning, you'll be invited to reflect on the anti-oppression and inclusion work we continue to engage in as an organization. Check out the robust reading and resource list we're compiling for your use.
2. March 10, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Our special guest will be Dr Jennifer Furin of the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School.The topic will be our TB advocacy in 2018. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
3. International Conference 2018 is Coming Up July 14-17. We're striving for every group in our network to be represented – including one new attendee from each group – and a healthy representation from our free agents advocates. Register today! Then print and share our newest promotion flyer. Share with others this great list of reasons why to attend. Or share this fabulous new promo video on social media.
4. Right to Education Index Update. 2018 RTEI partners announced. Read on!
Upcoming Opportunities and Calendar Items
February. Official launch of #LettersGetLoud campaign.
February 19-23. Senate and House Recess.
February 21, 9 pm ET. Tuberculosis and Poverty: Our Work as RESULTS Advocates. Make plans to join this informative overview webinar led by TB Advocacy Officer David Bryden. Log in to http://fuze.me/36496102 or (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 36496102.
March 10, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Guest speaker: Dr. Jennifer Furin of Harvard Medical School. Topic: Tuberculosis.
March 19, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35703902.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2018 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.