Global Weekly Update October 28, 2013
Top Action: Get Published on the Global Fund!
New Tools & Talking Points
$15 billion in international pledges at the December pledging conference for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria will save 5.8 million lives in the next three years (10 million lives over the full life of the Global Fund strategic plan). This is why we are in a full-court press to generate Global Fund media in advance of the conference. We must use this unique chance to ensure that the U.S. shows up with a $5 billion, 3-year pledge in order to leverage the other $10 billion needed.
Fresh Talking Points. Check out our blog for new talking points on the impact that a $15 billion pledge to the Global Fund could have. You'll also find information on the astonishing achievements of the Global Fund since its inception, and why now is a critical moment in history.
Really Powerful Action: Help us Land at Least a Dozen Editorials Nationwide. A full editorial packet on the Global Fund is here! Find papers in your area here. Use our laser talk to pitch the editorial packet to your editor today. You can't generate an editorial if you don't pitch it!
Powerful Action: Write an Op-ed. You can use the material in the editorial packet to craft a compelling op-ed! Contact Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager, or Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for support in getting published.
Quickest Action: Write a Letter to the Editor. Use our latest action sheet to write yours, and share our online version of the action to share with a friend who might want to write, too! Encourage them to personalize the letter.
Increase Chances of Getting Published: Hold an Education and Action Meeting in Your Community. Adapt our "meeting in a box" sample agenda and build your own powerful E&A meeting in support of the Global Fund, a meeting that generates a number of letter to editor submissions will also showcase RESULTS in your town!
Did You Miss the October 12 National Conference Call Focusing on Global Fund Replenishment? We welcomed special guest, RESULTS ally Carol Nyirenda, Executive Director of CITAM+ of Zambia. Listen to a recording of the call on our website.
And Did You Miss the October 3 Call Which Provided an In-Depth Global Fund Update/Overview? Don't worry; it was recorded! You can access a recording of the call, plus the companion PowerPoint, on our blog.
Cameron Duncan Media Award Winner to Be National Conference Call Guest November 9
The focus of our November Global National Conference Call call will be our media campaign on the Global Fund replenishment conference and the historic opportunity we have to end of the scourges of these three diseases. To help us, we will welcome special guest Jeff Gerritt, Deputy Editorial Page Editor at the Toledo Blade. Dial (888) 409-6709 at 2 pm ET on November 9 to join, and prepare to gain valuable insights into how the editorial-writing process works as well as how we can shape our hooks, messages, and pitches to achieve more media success.
Media Support, and Celebrating Dynamite Fundraising, and Reclaiming Our Democracy
1. Media Support Call. Mark November 12, 8 pm ET on your calendars! Want to be part of the on-going community of practice that’s available to support you to reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly call to share inspiration and ideas to keep you going. The special guest panel this month will consist of RESULTS media champions, partners who have worked thru the maze to achieve an editorial. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
2. Fundraising Event Season is Officially in Full Swing! Huge thanks to Bernardsville, Houston, Austin, and Bremerton/Kitsap for hosting fundraisers this past week. The numbers are not all in yet, but Austin well exceeded their goal and brought in over $20,000 and Bremerton/Kitsap has raised $27,000 so far. If you know anyone in the following cities, please invite them to our fundraisers this weekend:
Our thanks also go to our Virtual Thanksgiving Feast fundraisers: Liz Clerkin and Tanya Oemig. You can join them by registering your own personal fundraising page to ask your friends support our domestic and global nutrition campaigns during this Thanksgiving season of plenty to help children who don't know when their next meal will be. Contact Cindy Changyit Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, if you need assistance.
3. Reclaiming Our Democracy Tour Continues. Sam Daley-Harris, founder of RESULTS, is celebrating the 20th anniversary edition of his book Reclaiming Our Democracy. He is currently touring the country to talk about his book and the power of RESULTS. Check out the most up-to-date listing of his tour stops online, and check out a recent with Sam featured in the Pachamama Alliance newsletter. (P.S. Have you read the re-release of Sam's book? Post a review online!)
Grassroots Board Member Voting
From Board Chair, Dr. Scott Leckman. Vote today for a new board member to represent the grassroots on the boards of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund. This is a very important decision, and we have great candidates. Now we just need your vote by midnight ET on Wednesday, November 6th.
RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund is looking to fill one grassroots board position to serve a term of three (3) years beginning in November of 2013. There are four grassroots board seats in total. Grassroots board members represent the volunteer body on the Board of Directors and on the Executive Committee of the Board. It is the responsibility of the Board of Directors to work with the Executive Director in shaping the direction of RESULTS, and to advise on major policy for the organization, as well as providing fiduciary oversight. Thank you to all who nominated dedicated volunteers as candidates to serve on the board, for your nomination was recognition of their commitment and leadership skills. And thanks to the nominees who agreed to be considered. We’re honored!
Our grassroots board candidates include Frank Gilbert, Roger Hudson, and Lydia Pendley. You may vote for one candidate. Remember voting ends Wednesday, November 6 at midnight ET.
Candidate bios and statements are online. Read and consider them, and then click here to vote. Please share this with other active RESULTS members. For assistance, particularly if more than one person is voting from the came computer, contact Jack McLaughlin at (202) 783-7100.
"We are sitting and watching a ticking bomb . . . The [recent] WHO report shows that quality TB care can save millions of lives, but we are advancing far too slowly. Let me be clear about what we are facing. At the current rate of progress, we will not eliminate TB as a public health threat until 2170."
— Dr. Lucica Ditiu, Executive Secretary of the Stop TB Partnership
1. November 9, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. The November focus will be on the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Will we get the U.S. to make a $5 billion, 3-year pledge? Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
2. November 12, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
3. November 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. November 18, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
5. November 22, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.