Global Poverty Weekly Update October 21, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Yesterday I watched a bipartisan group from Congress stand on stage, addressing a room full of world leaders focused on the fight against AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. The message from Congress? Exactly what we’ve been pushing for all year.”
-Joanne Carter from the Global Fund replenishment conference in France
What’s Next for Our Advocacy?
Though the US made a pledge to the Global Fund, we must still ensure the US delivers on it. Here’s the plan:
- Close the Loop with Others. Celebrate the success of the pledging conference and the US pledge of $4.68 billion over three years by closing the loop with anyone who took action, heard about the Global Fund from you, or has contributed financially to RESULTS. And continue to persist in building momentum for Global Fund support.
- Let fellow advocates know that our advocacy has worked and that they are part of the success! Share the highlights using our blog post.
- Use our Global Fund congressional online action as a tool to request cosponsorship on Global Fund resolutions H. Res. 517 and S. Res. 318 (which are still open) or to thank members for cosponsoring.
- Invite Others to Step Up. Identify a handful of people in your personal and/or RESULTS network who are inspired and could take their advocacy to the next level with some support. Offer them an opportunity to take a transformational action. Let them know you’ll support them. And take action with them. Folks can . . .
- Publish a letter to the editor highlighting the Global Fund success, bipartisan cooperation, and what it means for the world. Use our October Action Sheet or our quick online action.
- Contact a representative or senator to ask for nutrition resolution cosponsorship via our online action, an in-district, or perhaps a conference call meeting. Even as we catch our breath, we will be moving forward with our nutrition campaign in advance of key nutrition moments next year.
- Make a Plan. Let us know your plan to grow via our online group planning form for the third trimester. And watch for more information to come on our Virtual Thanksgiving Feast online fundraising opportunity.
Input Requested Regarding National Webinars
As RESULTS approaches our 40th year, we are looking for ways to streamline how we inform and support our volunteers who advocate on U.S. poverty, global poverty, or both while still maintaining the high quality of their effectiveness and impact. Our monthly national webinars are a key tool in supporting our grassroots. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts through this latest survey – we are seeking your input on our monthly webinars and how we can improve them to meet your needs.
The survey will be open through Tuesday, November 12.
Is your advocacy reporting up to date? Now’s a great time to catch up.
Save the Date! The next RESULTS International Conference (celebrating our 40th birthday) will be June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC.
November. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Online Fundraising Campaign.
Action Network Community of Practice. November 6, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? Then join the Action Network Community of Practice. This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm ET. Join in at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. November 9, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
New Advocate Orientation. Wednesday November 12, 12 pm. ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on next steps. Sign up here.
Global Free Agents Webinars. November 18, 1 or 8 pm ET. Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. If these times don’t work for you, contact Ken Patterson for support.
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report Your Actions – Keep Up to Date!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.