Global Weekly Update March 30, 2015
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | March 30, 2015
Maternal/Child Health and Nutrition Campaign Kicks Off
1. Join us for a maternal/child health issue briefing on April 1 . . . no foolin'! As our appropriations work winds down, our maternal/child health and nutrition work will soon ramp up. Gather with other advocates for a briefing on Wednesday, April 1 at 9 pm ET that will provide a great overview of the campaign and will give you powerful information for any Easter recess face-to-face meetings you're booking with your representatives and senators. To join the meeting on April 1, go to http://fuze.me/28221138. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595 and enter meeting ID 28221138. And a comprehensive collection of support materials are forthcoming – stay tuned.
2. Raj Shah, fresh off his post as head of USAID, will be our special guest on the National Grassroots Webinar for our global campaigns on Saturday, April 11 at 2 pm ET. With a deep interest in issues of maternal and child health, Shah will undoubtedly bring some interesting insights as we pivot to our maternal/child health and nutrition campaign in earnest. Register yourself or your group online, settle in a few minutes early for the webinar, and prepare for a powerful hour. (Can't log in? Dial in! Call 201-479-4595, meeting ID 28404070.)
P.S. Keep your eyes peeled for information on limited scholarships as well as an International Conference "incentive" related to media advocacy for our maternal/child health campaign. (Hint: You could possibly win a small scholarship for the conference just by getting published!)
Appropriations Round-Up: Magnificent Work
Amazing work, friends. After your hard work asking your members of Congress to submit appropriations requests, you followed up by asking them to sign onto letters of support for our issues across the board. And boy, did you! Check out the impressive list of signatures on our blog.
Then, use this success to focus on thanking your member(s) of Congress for any and all conversation and leadership they showed during this process. Schedule those face-to-face meetings during this current spring recess. Our RESULTS Baton Rouge group, who is still very much in training, secured a face-to-face meeting with their representative only a few weeks in to the life of their group so they could share their stories and experiences and build him in to a champion for global poverty issues. They are grounded in the vast experience of our grassroots history and propelled forward by the potential that we can continue building and working together to end preventable child deaths in our lifetime! That's the power of what we do, and that's the power you bring with you to every face-to-face meeting with Congress.
Outreach: The Two Dollar Challenge and Where We're Growing
1. RESULTS, Two Dollar Challenge, and Oxfam USA are teaming up for the Two Dollar Challenge the week of April 6-10. The Two Dollar Challenge is an attempt to put us a bit closer in touch with what it feels like to live with seriously restrained resources, as do over 2.2 billion people in the world who live on less than $2 per day. We know that we will never understand completely, but a simulation like this could help us and others bridge the “empathy gap” that Nick Kristof, co-author of A Path Appears, talked about in his recent webinar with us. Check out our comprehensive guide to creating your Two Dollar Challenge.
Planning to participate? Let us know via our sign-up form.
2. From Amanda Beals, Global Grassroots Expansion Manager: I was one of those people, growing up in a small town of 400 people where most people wouldn’t imagine a global poverty advocate would ever exist. At RESULTS we know that there are people out there, both in our communities that already have RESULTS groups and in communities where we haven’t had the opportunity to reach out to yet, who are waiting for the chance to contribute to the world in a meaningful way. Getting involved with RESULTS has helped connect me with the person who I want to be in the world and I'm sure most of you feel the same. The RESULTS Global Expansion Team has been working to find other passionate advocates, waiting for their invitation to get involved, who will continue building our powerful community and help us create a world that we are proud to live in. 2015 is a crucial and exciting year and we’re happy to report that we started off strong.
We welcome new group RESULTS Phoenix as well as new groups in training in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Tucson, Denver, and Des Moines. Plus, hot new leaders are working with RESULTS staff in the following areas to get new groups started over the next several months. If you know people in these areas, please reach out to them and tell them about the opportunity they have: Huntsville, Flagstaff, Memphis, Nashville, Boulder, and Fort Worth as well as the states of Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Wyoming.
As we continue to reach out and find our new generation of volunteers to move this work forward, we welcome you to get involved with RESULTS expansion by reaching out to your friends, families, and networks and sharing this opportunity to make a difference.
Time to Do Quarterly Reporting, Then Get Ready for July on Capitol Hill
1. Why Report Your Advocacy This Quarter? We can't have the full grasp of your impact to share with the world were it not for the task of reporting. Report your 2015 advocacy with these (streamlined and relatively painless) updated reporting sheets:
2. Did you hear that Dr. Jim Kim of the World Bank will join us at the International Conference again this summer? Dr. Kim will headline the conference's annual congressional reception on the evening of Tuesday, July 21. You can register for the 2015 International Conference, to be held in DC July 18-21, today.
3. The RESULTS International Conference: What’s In It For You? April 16 at 8 pm ET and April 17 at 1 pm ET. Know someone who might be interested in coming to the International Conference but has questions? Bring that guest to this quick preview of the big event of 2015! Join online meeting: http://fuze.me/28157166, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28157166.
4. Nominations Open for the 2015 Cameron Duncan Media Award. This award is given each year to a journalist who has demonstrated outstanding reporting on issues related to poverty. The award is named in honor of Cameron Duncan, a former associate executive director of RESULTS who devoted his life to fighting poverty. While there is no requirement for the journalist to accept the award in person, we hope the winner will join us for the International Conference this July. Along with a short nomination letter/email (2-3 paragraphs), please submit links to relevant clips from the past 12 months that demonstrate the journalist's dedication to our issues. Please send all nominations and direct any questions to Colin Smith, Director of Communications. Nominations are due Friday, April 24.
5. Could a REAL Change Fellowship be in Your Future? Help us get ready for the REAL Change 2015-2016 class. This is a fabulous learning opportunity for young emerging leaders ages 18-30. But don't wait around; we've already gotten 44 applications for only 100 spots! Check out the qualifications and expectations of a REAL Change Fellow and consider applying.
6. Stories for our 35th Anniversary. Did you receive your postcard inviting you to share a RESULTS story for our 35th Anniversary celebration going on this year (and particularly at the International Conference)? Send it in! Don't have a postcard? Submit your story to [email protected]!
7. It's a bird . . . it's a plane . . . No, it's a RESULTS Everyday Hero! Grab your cape and running shoes and plan to join us at our 3rd Annual Everyday Hero Dash 5K/1-mile Fun Run on Sunday, July 19 at 6:30 pm ET. Don’t miss your chance to help us celebrate our everyday superheroes, and see all our RESULTS runners come out the hero when they finish. Advance registration is now open and will guarantee you a medal at the event. Race event tech shirts will also be available for purchase but will need to be purchased in advance. Click to register.
Going on Now. Applications being received for the REAL Change 2015-2016 class.
April 1, 9 pm ET. Maternal/Child Health and Nutrition Briefing. To join the meeting, go to http://fuze.me/28221138. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595 and enter meeting ID 28221138.
April 6-10. The Two Dollar Challenge.
April 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
April 11, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar (Global Campaigns). Register at https://www.fuzemeeting.com/webinar/register/1064566, gather your fellow advocates and new RESULTS friends, log in early, and enjoy our great guest speaker, former USAID Administrator Raj Shah. Need to join by phone? (Can't log in? Dial in! Call 201-479-4595, meeting ID 28404070.)
April 13, 8 pm ET. National Conversation on the Two Dollar Challenge experience. What did you learn from the Two Dollar Challenge? How do we use the experience to expand our reach and impact on global poverty? Meeting URL: http://fuze.me/28107954 or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28107954#.
April 16, 8 pm ET. The RESULTS International Conference: What's in it For You? Do you know someone who's interested in the International Conference but has questions? Bring that guest to this quick preview of the big event of 2015! Join online meeting: http://fuze.me/28157166, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28157166.
April 17, 1 pm ET. The RESULTS International Conference: What's in it For You? Do you know someone who's interested in the International Conference but has questions? Bring that guest to this quick preview of the big event of 2015! Join online meeting: http://fuze.me/28157166, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28157166.
April 24, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
April 27, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. To join, go to http://fuze.me/27781074 or (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 27781074. Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly gathering.
July 18-21. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Registration is open, and soon there will be news of support to help you invite and recruit others to attend!
Resources at Your Fingertips
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2015 Advocacy
2015 Global Congressional Scorecard (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Background on the New(est) Members of Congress
Quote of the Week (Don't miss this one!)
"This award is really dedicated to the RESULTS volunteers . . . "
– Dr. Joanne Carter, speaking of RESULTS advocates worldwide upon receiving a special TB Champion award. Watch the inspiring event online. (Dr. Carter's comments begin just after the one-hour mark.)