Global Weekly Update July 29, 2013
Top Action for Tuesday: Invite Your Congressperson to a Critical Meeting on August 1
Co-chairs of the Congressional Caucus on Effective Foreign Assistance and the Global Health Caucus have arranged a pivotal meeting with Dr. Jim Kim, President of the World Bank, for August 1, 8:30-9:30 a.m. in Room H-137 in the U.S. Capitol.
The topic? Ending extreme global poverty.
We need your congressperson to be there to discuss the dream and goal of significantly reducing the number of people living on less than $1.25 a day.
Here are the steps to take to make sure your congressperson is in the room for this meeting:
2. Call your key congressional foreign policy aide and the office scheduler separately to make sure the invitation was received and to find out the RSVP status. Keep going until you get a clear "yes" or "no." (You can find phone numbers for congressional offices through our website.)
3. Follow up, especially on a "yes" RSVP, on Wednesday, just to make sure your member of Congress has every opportunity to attend.
4. Send your member of Congress' RSVP status to Crickett Nicovich, Senior Policy Associate.
Our persistence will pay off. We will help fill the room with members of the House so that an important and influential conversation about the end of extreme poverty can take place.
Need help? Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate.
Thrilled to Have Dr. Jeffrey Sachs on Our National Grassroots Conference Call on Saturday, August 10
Gather those in your action network and other allies in your community who are interested in global health. Then dial in to (888) 409-6709 a bit before 2 pm ET on Saturday, August 10 to be inspired! In August, we'll hear again from economist Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, a bold champion for the end of extreme poverty. When you gather, many of you can share exciting stories about the International Conference; you will invigorate others with tales of your courage and initiative. Why don't we try to get 400 people on the call?
In anticipation of the call, take action with our August action sheet. Write a letter to the editor urging the U.S. to be a leader at the Global Fund replenishment this fall, and ask those who listen to the August conference call with you to write as well!
P.S. Have you shared the great advocacy tips former Senator Bob Bennett (R-UT) shared during our July national grassroots conference call? Check out the podcast and share it!
The International Conference Lives On!
Almost 500 powerful voices for the end of poverty gathered in Washington, DC, last week for a time of learning, celebrating, advocating, and moving toward a world free from the scourge of poverty. Be on the watch for photos, reports, and more. And thank you to those who dialed in to lobby meetings to "be present" from afar, who followed the action on Twitter, and who sent along advocacy letters to be hand-delivered to the members of Congress.
So, what's next?
1. Report on your Lobby Day meetings! We use the information about your meetings in a number of ways; please report before too much time passes!
2. Follow up on your meetings, both by inquiring about the requests you made and by offering thank yous for both the meetings and for attendance at the Lobby Day reception. Remember that if you don't follow up on a meeting, it's like it didn't happen. Keep building those relationships!
3. Didn't get that face-to-face meeting you were seeking with that certain a member of Congress? Take advantage of the August recess and book a meeting now! Perhaps your senator or representative will be back in your area and can meet with you.
4. Consider reaching out to your community about your conference experience! Write a letter to the editor (think "Local Advocate Goes to Washington") or gather those in your action network and other allies in your community who are interested in global health and the Global Fund to join the August national grassroots conference call! Dial in to (888) 409-6709 a bit before 2 pm ET on Saturday, August 10 to hear economist Dr. Jeffrey Sachs. When you gather, many of you can share exciting stories about the International Conference; you will inspire others for sure.
5. Peruse some of the International Conference materials (legislative information, PowerPoint presentations for some popular sessions, etc.) we have online for you.
6. Save your pennies so you can come to the International Conference in 2014!
Get Great Coaching from Former Congressman Lee Hamilton on August 26
Dial in at 1 pm ET on August 26 for a special mid-day gathering of the Building Bipartisan Champions Cohort. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
This particular call will feature special guest former Congressman Lee Hamilton (D-IN) who served Congress for 34 years. Call in for insightful remarks and a Q&A session with this legislator who has dedicated his post-Congressional career to cultivating an interest in civil civic dialogue. Congressman Hamilton will be our guest for the first half of the call, and then we'll pick up the conversation by discussing opportunites for bipartisan champion-building that we discovered at the International Conference and during August recess in-district meetings.
The Building Bipartisan Champions Cohort meets every other month to brainstorm ways to move the needle on our issues in more challenging Congressional contexts. We hope you'll be part of this cohort in August – mark the call on your calendars!
"We are at an auspicious moment in history, when the successes of past decades and an increasingly favorable economic outlook combine to give developing countries a chance — for the first time ever — to end extreme poverty within a generation. Our duty now must be to ensure that these favorable circumstances are matched with clarity of purpose and resolute action to realize this historic opportunity."
— Dr. Jim Kim, President of the World Bank
1. August 10, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join! Special guest will be Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, and discussion will be about Global Fund replenishment.
2. August 14, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
3. August 19, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
4. August 20, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
5. August 23, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
6. August 26, 1 pm ET. Building Bipartisan Champions Cohort Call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 for this special daytime call. This cohort meets every other month to brainstorm ways to move the needle on our issues in more challenging Congressional contexts. This call will feature a special guest, former Congressman Lee Hamilton (D-IN). Call in for insightful remarks and a Q&A session with this legislator who has dedicated his post-Congressional career to cultivating an interest in civil civic dialogue.