Global Weekly Update January 20, 2014
This Week's First Action: Complete Your 2014 Planning and Catch up on the January Conference Call!
Were you on January's national grassroots conference call? It was a great one, thanks to the inspiration and wisdom of our friend Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH). If you missed it, take a few moments to check out what was said on the call via our notes and the call audio. Then, either with your group or as a free agent, put the finishing touches on your 2014 planning and turn in your materials by January 31. Individual plans completed by free agents and group plans completed by RESULTS groups have begun coming into the office, and it's clear that we will be up to big things in 2014!
And Your Second Action: Schedule Face-to-Face Meetings
Developing relationships with those who represent us takes time and intentional effort. Begin that work now for 2014 by scheduling face-to-face meetings. Congressional recesses are the perfect chance for you try meeting with your legislators in person at home. Make a call now to your legislators' offices and ask for an appointment in the home district/state during the next recess opportunity. Then follow up until you get an answer. Use this month's action sheet for tips on how to make the meeting happen, and take a look at the December/January laser talk for help with following up on your scheduling request.
Key Updates You Might Not Have Seen
1. FY14 Appropriations Update. Late on January 13, House and Senate leaders unveiled a 1500-page, $1 trillion omnibus spending bill to fund the government for fiscal year (FY) 2014. The bill largely protects key poverty focused foreign aid accounts, and provides increases for several priority issues. What are the details? What are the victories, and what does it mean for our work going forward? Check out our blog for all the details.
2. REAL Change Fellowship. REAL Change has historically been an exciting way to bring new, young dynamic advocates to the International Conference. We’re building on this to launch REAL Change as a year-long fellowship. We’re looking for 18-28-year-olds who can commit 3-6 hours a week to our work, who can come to the International Conference, and who are interested in creating political will to end hunger and the worst aspects of poverty. Rolling applications are due March 21 at 5 pm ET.
3. RESULTS Expanding in Iowa. Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager, will be conducting a global poverty group start workshop on January 28, 6 pm local time at the Ross Hall 5th Floor Library at Iowa State University in Ames. Do you know anyone in Ames or Des Moines who might want to attend? Do you know someone who knows someone? Spots at the event can be reserved by contacting Madeline Becker.
Set Calendars for Fundraising
As you set goals and dates for your 2014 activism, please make a plan for fundraising and reach out to us so we can help! Whether you are a group partner or a free agent, we can help you hold an event or personal online fundraiser (like a birthday request or race challenge). Contact fundraising coaches Jen DeFranco or Cindy Levin for assistance. Thank you to Portland, Chicago, Houston, and St. Louis groups for reaching out to us already! Also, check here next week for information about our "Valentine's Day Date-Night IN" online fundraiser which is fast approaching.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
— Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
(For a complete calendar, see our website.)
1. First House and Senate Recesses of 2014: January 20-24. Schedule face-to-face meetings!
2. January 24, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
3. January 27, 8 pm ET. How You Can Help Expand Congressional Coverage. RESULTS has a goal of expanding into 69 new Congressional districts with global coverage, and starting 20 new global chapters. We'll need the help of existing groups to expand into at least 20 of the new districts. Join this introductory webinar to discuss some of the best practices for starting new RESULTS groups and recruiting new activists. To join from your computer or mobile device, copy this link into your browser: http://fuze.me/22423683. To join the audio, call (201) 479-4595 or (855) 346-3893. If prompted, enter the meeting number 22423683, then press #.
4. January 28, 1 pm ET. We Get RESULTS Talk Radio Show, hosted by RESULTS activist Mary Albertson. Tune in for an hour focusing on women in poverty in the U.S.
5. February 8, 2 pm ET. First RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Focus: Appropriations. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
6. February 10, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
7. February 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
8. February 18, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (267) 507-0370, passcode 4471061. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
9. March 21, 5 pm ET 21. REAL Change Fellowship Applications Due.