Global Weekly Update January 13, 2014
Top Action: Finish Your 2014 Planning and Catch up on the January Conference Call
We had a great start to the new advocacy year thanks to the inspiration and wisdom of our friend Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH). Take a few moments to check out what was said on the call via our notes and the call audio. Then, either with your group or as a free agent, complete your 2014 planning materials and turn them in by the end of January. Individual plans completed by free agents and group plans completed by RESULTS groups have begun coming into the office, and your aspirations for the year are wonderful!
Next Action: Schedule Face-to-Face Meetings
Have you resolved to be powerful in your advocacy this year? It's the ideal time to begin scheduling face-to-face meetings with your legislators. A number of Congressional recesses are coming up in the months ahead, and they are the perfect opportunity for you try meeting with your legislators in person at home. But don't wait until the recesses to schedule; make a call now and follow up until you get an answer. Use this month's action sheet for tips on how to make the meeting happen, and take a look at the December/January laser talk for help with following up on your scheduling request.
Grassroots News You Can Use
1. FY14 Appropriations Update. Late on January 13, House and Senate leaders unveiled a 1500-page, $1 trillion omnibus spending bill to fund the government for fiscal year (FY) 2014. The bill largely protects key poverty focused foreign aid accounts, and provides increases for several priority issues. What are the details? What are the victories, and what does it mean for our work going forward? Check out our blog for all the details.
2. Fundraising. Make 2014 a year for celebration! You can commemorate special moments in the lives of your loved ones with a gift to RESULTS and add to the joy of the occasion by helping people in poverty have their own milestone celebrations. The person you honor will get a note from our DC office telling them that you've made a donation in their name. Birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, or a completed new years resolution are all causes for celebration. So, celebrate with our cause! If you would like to send in your donation by mail, check with your group leaders for special Celebration envelopes that were mailed out to groups last year or contact Jerusa Contee, Senior Development Associate, to have some delivered to you. Or you can make your gifts online and select the option to make your contribution "in honor of" your special occasion.
3. REAL Change Fellowship. REAL Change has historically been an exciting way to bring new, young dynamic advocates to the International Conference. We’re building on this to launch REAL Change as a year-long fellowship. We’re looking for 18-28-year-olds who can commit 3-6 hours a week to our work, who can come to the International Conference, and who are interested in creating political will to end hunger and the worst aspects of poverty. Rolling applications are due March 21 at 5 pm ET.
U.S. Senate Calls for Political Reform, Defends Grameen Bank in Bangladesh
In the wake of violence and protests following Bangladesh’s elections on Sunday, the U.S. Senate raised its voice, passing a bipartisan resolution led by Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL), Mike Enzi (R-WY), and Chris Murphy (D-CT) calling for political reform in Bangladesh and the restoration of independence for the groundbreaking microfinance institution Grameen Bank. Read more on this important development on our blog.
RESULTS is the greatest citizen’s lobbying organization in the history of Western civilization.
-Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
(For a complete calendar, see our website.)
1. First House and Senate Recesses of 2014: January 20-24. Schedule face-to-face meetings!
2. January 21, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (267) 507-0370, passcode 4471061. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
3. January 24, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. January 27, 8 pm ET. How You Can Help Expand Congressional Coverage. RESULTS has a goal of expanding into 69 new Congressional districts with global coverage, and starting 20 new global chapters. We'll need the help of existing groups to expand into at least 20 of the new districts. Join this introductory webinar to discuss some of the best practices for starting new RESULTS groups and recruiting new activists. To join from your computer or mobile device, copy this link into your browser: http://fuze.me/22423683. To join the audio, call (201) 479-4595 or (855) 346-3893. If prompted, enter the meeting number 22423683, then press #.
5. January 28, 1 pm ET. We Get RESULTS talk radio show, hosted by RESULTS activist Mary Albertson. Tune in for an hour focusing on women in poverty in the U.S.
6. February 8, 2 pm ET. First RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Focus: Appropriations. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
7. February 10, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
8. February 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.