Global Weekly Update August 26, 2013
The RESULTS DC office has moved! The new address is 1101 15th St., NW, Ste. 1200, Washington, DC, 20005.
Actions You Can Take Today: Get Your Reps. to Act on Education for All and Nutrition Resolution
While our focus lately has been largely on the upcoming fall replenishment of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, we don’t want to leave behind other powerful actions that we’ve been working on this summer. The August congressional recess may be your moment to get that elusive face-to-face meeting or town hall encounter! Or you might book one now for the upcoming September and October recesses. As you meet with your legislators and aides, ask for cosponsorship of two important items in the House — the Education for All Act of 2013 (H.R. 2780) and H.Res. 254 which supports child nutrition. Utilize our comprehensive blog post on both pieces of legislation to get briefed on the issues, and make cosponsorship requests of your representatives.
- 5-minute Action: Send a letter to your Rep. requesting he/she cosponsor the Education For All Act or the Child Nutrition Resolution. (Remember to personalize your letter.)
- 15-minute Action: Read the action sheet on the EFA Act or Child Nutrition Resolution, then call the foreign policy aide and ask that your representative cosponsor. Use the Congressional Switchboard number (202 224-3121), or find the number here.
Training Call Tonight (August 27): Engaging Returned International Volunteers
TONIGHT! Engaging Returned International Volunteers. On August 27 at 9 pm ET, Zahara Heckscher, author of How to Live Your Dream of Volunteering Overseas, will be leading a webinar for RESULTS folks on how to engage returned international volunteers in our groups. Alumni from international volunteer programs like the Peace Corps are “prequalified” to become RESULTS activists because they already care about the issues. But how do you find these returned international volunteers In your community? How do you engage them and bring them up the RESULTS ladder of engagement? The webinar will answer these questions and prepare you for successful recruitment and outreach for the September 21 Reclaiming Our Democracy book re-release event with Sam Daley Harris, Joanne Carter, and Dr. Muhammad Yunus. The strategies shared will also apply to other outreach target populations and future events. To join, cut and paste http://fuze.me/21005003 into your browser for the webinar portion. For the audio portion, dial (347) 817-7654, pin 0# or dial in via Skype to “fuzemeeting” and then 0#. Also, you may want to have the webinar companion guidebook on hand.
Amazing Upcoming Calls
September 7 National Conference Call. Join us for the rescheduled September National Grassroots Conference Call for global poverty advocates on Saturday, September 7 featuring Partners in Health co-founder Dr. Paul Farmer. Gather fellow advocates and dial (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before 2 pm ET to join! You won’t want to miss this. Use our customizable flyer to share the word and invite others to be part of the call.
September 21 Outreach to Celebrate Reclaiming Our Democracy. Another exciting opportunity coming in a few weeks is the celebration of the release of the 20th anniversary edition of Reclaiming Our Democracy by RESULTS founder Sam Daley-Harris. Dr. Muhammad Yunus will join Sam Daley-Harris and RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter on a conference call that can serve as a centerpiece for a book party in your community. The call will be held at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT on Saturday, September 21. Check out our new guide to creating a book party, which includes the details on how to join the call and on how to purchase book copies. (There is an e-version of the book, too!) Our goal? 35 groups hold book parties and inviting 250 new people to join RESULTS!
Grassroots News You Can Use
Fall 2013 Youth Advocacy Training. The Global Campaign on Education, U.S. invites young leaders to learn how to advance Education for All legislation! The training will take place November 1–5, 2013, and the application is due September 27, 2013. Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of the training, must permanently reside in the U.S., must be able to attend the entire training (from dinner on November 1 to departures on November 5), and must complete the entire application and submit a letter of recommendation from a person that can speak to their involvement on campus or in their community. The training will culminate in Capitol Hill visits and a reception on Monday to advance the Education For All legislation. Engage youth in your community; this is a great opportunity.
RESULTS Listserv. The RESULTS listserv is a virtual water cooler! Beyond the Weekly Updates and online actions you receive, this listserv is a beehive of Ideas, media hits, questions . . . all of these are traded and shared in this Googlegroup. Want to subscribe? Send an e-mail to [email protected]
RESULTS Action Network. Do you know someone who’d like to receive RESULTS Weekly Updates, monthly action sheets, and timely action alerts? Direct them to our website so they can sign up!
Ever Think of Being a Regional Coordinator? RESULTS Regional Coordinators are critically important RESULTS volunteers who help support a region of chapters, staying in regular contact with that region’s group leaders, to coach for more effective advocacy. Want to know more about what it means to be a Regional Coordinator? See the position description and contact Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager.
Celebrating? Turn it into a Celebration that Helps End Poverty!
Feeling in the mood to celebrate? Your group can keep an eye out for a mailing from the DC office that will contain about 20 RESULTS Celebration donation envelopes to help you and your group do some fundraising in honor of a great occasion or to honor someone! You and those in your action network can honor someone with a donation to RESULTS, and you can let that someone special know what you’ve done. So keep watch for the celebration envelopes coming soon, and if you don’t receive envelopes but would like to, please contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate.
Thank you to Myrdin Thompson, Grassroots Expansion Agent, who raised $408 for her birthday this month! Check out her celebration page as an example of how you can do this for your own birthday, anniversary, graduation, or any other celebration. Contact Cindy Levin if you’d like help setting up an online campaign.
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela
1. August 27, 9 pm ET. Engaging Returned International Volunteers. Zahara Heckscher, author of How to Live Your Dream of Volunteering Overseas, will be leading a webinar for RESULTS folks on how to engage returned international volunteers in our groups. Webinar access: http://fuze.me/21005003. Dial in for audio to (347) 817-7654, pin 0#. You can also have this companion guidebook for the webinar. Zahara covered this topic at the International Conference and is excited to bring it to those who missed her workshop.
2. House and Senate are back in session September 9.
3. September 7, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
4. September 8. World Literacy Day.
5. September 11, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
6. September 17, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going. The Cameron Duncan Media Award is given to a deserving journalist at the annual International Conference, and we want to create professional media champions worthy of this award! This month, we'll share highlights from the Media 101 workshop at the International Conference; also, bring your stories of success to share! Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
7. September 21, 8 pm ET/5 pm PT. Outreach Conference Call to Re-launch Reclaiming Our Democracy. To celebrate the release of the 20th anniversary edition of Reclaiming Our Democracy by RESULTS founder Sam Daley-Harris, Sam will be joined on a conference call with Dr. Muhammad Yunus and RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter. Use this call, and the companion planning guide, to creating a great book party for outreach in your community.
8. September 23 (special date), 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
9. September 27, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
10. October 5. World Teacher Day.