Global Poverty Weekly Update October 30, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of October 30, 2017
Quote of the Week
"Education is the best weapon we have to fight poverty, ignorance and terrorism."
– Malala Yousafzai, Nobel Peace Prize winner, in the Guardian, June 24, 2014
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S.Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
There's Still Time to Invite: November 11 Webinar with Julia Gillard
November 11, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Our guest will be Julia Gillard, Chair of the Board Directors for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) and former Prime Minister of Australia. We've invited RESULTS Canada, UK, and Australia to join us.
Use this ready made opportunity for outreach! Customize this invitation and send it to a few new folks via email and/or social media, and utilize a recent action sheet to create an empowering event. The webinar/conference call will be shortened to allow ample time for the group to gather, participate, take action, and be inspired. Through mid-September, you've reported a terrific 262 outreach activities with 58% group participation! Can we take advantage of November 11 to reach 90% group participation?
Leading with Action: The Global Partnership for Education
November is here! Let's maximize use of this month to garner support for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE).
1. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286 opened for co-sponsors in October 5, World Teacher Day. This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer.
2. House Resolution 466. As of October 26, there are 51 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington State) – including 14 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans, by early December?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bost, Brady, Capuano, Carson, Clay, Cole, Conyers, Davis (S.), DelBene, DeSaulnier, Dingell, Donovan, Doyle, Engel, Eshoo, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Johnson (E.B.), Kaptur, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lewis, Lofgren, Lowey, Lujan Grisham, Messer, Napolitano, Peters, Pocan, Rooney, Ross, Ryan, Sessions, Slaughter, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Wasserman Schultz, Welch, Wilson, Yarmuth, Young, Zeldin
3. Media and Other Resources for our GPE work.
Important Note on the Reach Act
Save the date of Friday, November 3 for a call-in day to Congress in support of the Reach Act. Check your email the evening of November 2 – we'll have what you need to call your senators and representatives.
The Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Kicks Off Soon
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Friends and Family Fundraising Campaign will be held from November 13 through November 28. This online, peer-to-peer fundraising campaign is an opportunity to share your RESULTS work with your friends and family, grow your group, and help raise needed funds to support our work. Mark your calendars for the campaign and the kick-off campaign kick-off and training for grassroots fundraisers participating in the annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast peer-to-peer fundraising campaign on November 9, 8:30 pm ET. Join to review materials, hear tips for success, and ask questions. Log in at http://fuze.me/35823900, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35823900. Can’t join or have questions? Contact Ben McGarry at (202) 783-4800 x141 for one-on-one support. Then keep on the watch for more support materials.
Don't Let RESULTS Be a Best Kept Secret
1. Bending the Arc. Many of you saw the film Bending the Arc at this summer’s International Conference and, like us, you were moved and wanted to share it with others. For those who haven’t yet seen it yet, Bending the Arc is a documentary about a team of young people—Paul Farmer, Jim Yong Kim, Ophelia Dahl—whose medical work 30 years ago lit a fire under governments to do more. They helped inspire the global health movement and have pushed further and faster than anyone thought was possible.
Good news! The filmmakers are making it available for screenings beginning this month. Click to our blog for more information on how to arrange or attend a screening of Bending the Arc in your community this autumn. You can use the film to help draw more people in your community into advocacy with your local group.
2. Master Advocacy Trainers. Did you know there are fellow advocates trained to present an in-depth advocacy 101 training (using our global poverty campaigns as the centerpiece) in your city, to help buoy your outreach efforts and recruit new members? Get in touch to find out more about this training curriculum or to see if if a trainer can come to your area.
3. Are You In a Town With No RESULTS Group? Then we are outreach-ing to you! November 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Come along to a RESULTS Global Free Agents webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902. Come along for an inspiring call about how you can commit to taking action with us on a regular basic and be part of the RESULTS network more thoroughly. Know someone who might be interested in this call? Don't hesitate to invite them!
4. RESULTS Action Network. RESULTS groups are busily collecting up names and contact information of people who might not be ready to be part of a RESULTS group but who would like to take action twice a month. Are you one of those people? Contact Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate, for details on how to start receiving those timely actions.
Upcoming Learning and Action Opportunities
November 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer for people newly interested in RESULTS. Contact us with any questions and have folks RSVP for the call
November 9, 8:30 pm ET. Campaign Kick-off and Training. Join this kick-off for grassroots fundraisers participating in the annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast peer-to-peer fundraising campaign. Review materials, hear tips for success, and ask questions. Can’t join or have questions? Contact Ben McGarry at (202) 783-4800 x141 for one-on-one support. Log in at http://fuze.me/35823900, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35823900.
November 11, 2 pm ET. Outreach-Friendly National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Featuring Julia Gillard, Chair of the Board Directors for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) and former Prime Minister of Australia. We've invited RESULTS Canada, UK, and Australia to join us. Begin creating your inviting list for this terrific chance for outreach and learning.
November 13. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising Campaign Begins.
November 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902.
November 20-24. Senate/House Recess.
December 31. Last Day for Leaders for Action. We have had a group of generous donors step up to create our Leaders for Action Matching Fund. All donations made through the end of 2017 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $100,000 thanks for Leaders for Action! Donate today.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference. Enjoy videos from the great 2017 gathering, or review resources related to the workshops held at the 2017 conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2017 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.