Global Poverty Weekly Update October 19, 2015
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | October 19, 2015
RESULTS is Expanding in Pennsylvania . . . Stay Tuned for News!
World AIDS Day Outreach: Make Your Plans and Commitments Now
The Reach Act: At Work in the House, Senate, and Media
1. Work on House Bill Cosponsorship. A bipartisan bill introduced in the House of Representatives on October 7 aims to put a stop to the unnecessary deaths of mothers and children globally. The Reach Every Mother and Child Act of 2015 would enshrine important development reforms into law, ensuring the U.S. does its part to help countries to end preventable child and maternal deaths by 2035. It would help make certain that mothers and children can not only survive, but thrive.
The Reach Act, H.R. 3706, led by Representatives Dave Reichert (R-WA), Betty McCollum (D-MN), Barbara Lee (D-CA), and Michael McCaul (R-TX), is grounded in the global consensus that the end of these preventable deaths is possible. It builds on the recommendations of a Blue Ribbon Panel of experts that identified important reforms for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and its work supporting countries to save the lives of mothers and children.
Use the brand new October Action Sheet to get your representative(s) signed on now! And take a look at this recent press release from the American Academy of Pediatrics; it's a great example of how we are working on this important maternal/child health legislation in coalition.
2. Get Published. The September Action Sheet is available to help you write a letter to the editor calling for Congress to get behind support of maternal/child health (MCH) and the Reach Act. Annual data on the world's progress in tackling maternal/child health is now out, thanks to UNICEF's annual release of their child survival data.
For help writing a letter to the editor, you can also use our action alert highlighting UNICEF data. Share the hyperlink with others who might want to write as well. Share what you've gotten published, too, so others can share and respond to it . . . and so on!
Our MCH media toolkit can help you hone local hooks and insert other relevant MCH facts . . . but the most valuable component is your unique voice, used to craft a personal piece that makes the case for the maternal/child health legislation on which we've been working so diligently. Take advantage of these fall days and get writing!
3. Talk to Your Senators. The August Action Sheet is designed to help you bring S.1911, the Reach Every Mother and Child Act in the Senate, to the attention of your Senate offices. S.1911 works for the end of preventable maternal, newborn, and child deaths around the world. We now have 6 senators, in an even bipartisan split, on the legislation! Phenomenal! Let's keep the momentum going. The bill text is online, and you can also track progress on cosponsorship. (We're first wanting to get 25 cosponsors, 10 of them Republicans, by the end of the year.) Don't hesitate to get into action!
Fall Fundraising: Can We Make It To $100,000? Absolutely.
We want to thank all of the groups and individuals who have raised funds for RESULTS already this year, whether through events or Friends and Family Campaigns! To the groups who have pledged and committed to events and campaigns in the coming months: keep up the great work! If you have not yet taken the opportunity to participate in a fundraising campaign in 2015, we invite you to join other grassroots volunteers in committing to help RESULTS meet our fundraising goal of $100,000 through the grassroots fundraising campaign. That figure can seem daunting, but we all know the difference our collective impact can make. It's easy to help us meet that goal through our simple Friends and Family Campaigns! And you can get started in three easy steps:
1. Set a fundraising goal.
2. Create your own fundraising page. (Email Jen DeFranco or Jerusa Contee for assistance). Our current campaigns that are already in place, and actively being used, are already set up here:
3. Then invite your friends and family to donate to your page. The funds raised through our events and Friends & Family Campaigns are unrestricted funds that allow RESULTS to support us as advocates, as well as maintain its independence to work on the issues and strategic projects where we will have the most impact.
Your Vote is Needed
RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund is looking to fill one grassroots board position to serve a term of three (3) years beginning in November of 2015. (There are four grassroots board seats in total.) Grassroots board members represent the volunteer body on the Board of Directors and on the Executive Committee of the Board. It is the responsibility of the Board of Directors to work with the Executive Director in shaping the direction of RESULTS, and to advise on major policy for the organization, as well as providing fiduciary oversight. The Executive Committee of the Board is the primary governing body of the organization. Members meet frequently by teleconference and are in communication via e-mail and telephone calls. Members must be able to participate at this level and are expected to chair or serve on a Board Committee(s) as well as participate in fundraising for the organization. Grassroots board members play a particular role in representing grassroots perspectives on the board. Thank you to all who nominated dedicated volunteers as candidates to serve on the board – your nomination was recognition of their commitment and leadership skills. And thanks to the nominees who agreed to be considered. We’re honored!
Our grassroots board candidates include Mark Campbell, Lisa Peters, and Beth Wilson. You may vote for one candidate, and you can click to view candidate bios. Remember voting ends Monday, November 9 at midnight ET. Then click here to vote. Please share this with other active RESULTS members.
October 21, 9 pm ET. Support Call to Assist Your World AIDS Day Outreach. Meeting URL: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30470802. Or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30470802.
October 30, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
Next RESULTS Free Agents (Global Campaigns) Webinar will be in December.
November 14, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar (Global Campaigns). Login information (no registration necessary): https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
June 25-28. RESULTS 2016 International Conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2015 Advocacy
2015 Global Congressional Scorecard (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)
Quote of the Week
"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties." – Henri-Frederic Amiel