Global Poverty Weekly Update November 6, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of November 6, 2017
"We must do our best to ensure that all children, especially those in conflict-affected areas, have access to education because education offers opportunities – the chance to get a decent job, to escape poverty and violence and to provide for a healthy family . . . Put simply, education is one of the most important investments a country can make in its people and in its future."
– Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA-39)
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S.Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
November 11, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Our guest will be Julia Gillard, Chair of the Board Directors for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) and former Prime Minister of Australia. We've invited RESULTS Canada, UK, and Australia to join us. It is a crucial time as we create the political will for full support of the GPE replenishment set for February 2 in Dakar, Senegal.
Use this ready made opportunity for outreach! Customize this invitation and send it to a few new folks via email and/or social media, and utilize a recent action sheet to create an empowering event. The webinar/conference call will be shortened to allow ample time for the group to gather, participate, take action, and be inspired. There is still time to invite people to gather and create an outreach event this Saturday!
Plus, for even more in-depth information about the replenishment and the run up to it, check out a great blogpost by Global Education Associate Milagros Lechleiter.
P.S. Do you have a question for former Prime Minister Gillard? Post it on our RESULTS Volunteers Facebook page!
November is here! Take a look at our new GPE action sheets for November and so much more.
1. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286 opened for co-sponsors in October 5, World Teacher Day. This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer.
2. House Resolution 466. As of November 6, there are 53 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington State) – including 14 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans, by early December?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bost, Boyle, Brady, Capuano, Carson, Clay, Cole, Conyers, Davis (D.), Davis (S.), DelBene, DeSaulnier, Dingell, Donovan, Doyle, Engel, Eshoo, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Johnson (E.B.), Kaptur, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lewis, Lofgren, Lowey, Lujan Grisham, Messer, Napolitano, Peters, Pocan, Rooney, Ross, Ryan, Sessions, Slaughter, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Wasserman Schultz, Welch, Wilson, Yarmuth, Young, Zeldin
3. Fresh Media Action Sheet. Help Us Cover All 50 States!
Utilize this *new* November media Action Sheet to generate letters to the editor on how and why GPE support is critical at this time. The states where we still need to get GPE media published in order to cover the map on this effort: Connecticut, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota.
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Friends and Family Fundraising Campaign will be held from November 13 through November 28. This online, peer-to-peer fundraising campaign is an opportunity to share your RESULTS work with your friends and family, grow your group, and help raise needed funds to support our work. Mark your calendars for the campaign and come along to the kick-off webinar on November 9, 8:30 pm ET. Join to review materials, hear tips for success, and ask questions. Log in at http://fuze.me/35823900, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35823900. Can’t join or have questions? Contact Ben McGarry, Fundraising Associate, at (202) 783-4800 x141 for one-on-one support. And grab the campaign guide, too.
P.S. To get started early setting up your fundraising page, go directly to our website.
1. Are You In a Town With No RESULTS Group? Then we are outreach-ing to you! November 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Come along to a RESULTS Global Free Agents webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902. Come along for an inspiring call about how you can commit to taking action with us on a regular basic and be part of the RESULTS network more thoroughly. Know someone who might be interested in this call? Don't hesitate to invite them!
2. RESULTS Action Network. RESULTS groups are busily collecting up names and contact information of people who might not be ready to be part of a RESULTS group but who would like to take action twice a month. Are you one of those people? Contact Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate, for details on how to start receiving those timely actions.
1. There is No Time to Spare. While there has been a great deal of progress over the last 40 years towards this goal, the harsh reality remains that we are in grave danger of missing the 2030 target unless the global community acts immediately and urgently to prioritize reaching those living in the most severe forms of deprivation on the planet – what is termed "ultra-poverty." This is the shared mission of Uplift and our partner in this effort, the RESULTS Educational Fund, and to this end we are very excited to unveil the inaugural Global State of Ultra Poverty (GSUP). Read more on our blog.
2. Global Education Monitoring Report. The 2017/8 Global Education Monitoring Report highlights the role of civil society organizations such as RESULTS Education Fund (REF) as crucial to advance the right to education and hold government to account for their legal obligations. REF’s Right to Education Index (RTEI) is one tool to help fulfill this call by focusing on national accountability, civil society engagement, and equitable distribution of rights fulfillment worldwide. Read on for more inspiring and informative details by Allyson Krupar, Senior Associate, Right to Education Index. And read more about the launch of the 2017/8 Global Education Monitoring Report in an informative report by Global Education Intern Seoyoung Hwang.
3. CNBC Report on Tuberculosis. Recently CNBC released a riveting piece shining light on the world's biggest infectious disease: tuberculosis. It illuminates the work that's left to do and why our advocacy is more relevant than ever.
4. New UNICEF Numbers on Child Survival. The annual UNICEF report on our progress in alleviating child survival is out. Dig in to see how far we've come and what's next.
November 9, 8:30 pm ET. Campaign Kick-off and Training. Join this kick-off for grassroots fundraisers participating in the annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast peer-to-peer fundraising campaign. Review materials, hear tips for success, and ask questions. Can’t join or have questions? Contact Ben McGarry at (202) 783-4800 x141 for one-on-one support. Log in at http://fuze.me/35823900, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35823900.
November 11, 2 pm ET. Outreach-Friendly National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Featuring Julia Gillard, Chair of the Board Directors for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) and former Prime Minister of Australia. We've invited RESULTS Canada, UK, and Australia to join us.
November 13. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising Campaign Begins.
November 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902.
November 20-24. Senate/House Recess.
November 28. Giving Tuesday.
December 31. Last Day for Leaders for Action. We have had a group of generous donors step up to create our Leaders for Action Matching Fund. All donations made through the end of 2017 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $100,000 thanks for Leaders for Action! Donate today.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference. Enjoy videos from the great 2017 gathering, or review resources related to the workshops held at the 2017 conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2017 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.