Global Poverty Weekly Update May 9, 2016
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of May 9, 2016
"The Reach Act (S. 1911 and H.R. 3706) will ensure that USAID, our country’s main international development agency, cultivates a clear and measurable strategy to help achieve this goal. This legislation focuses on increasing evidence-based interventions and would create new innovative funding sources, like private/public partnerships, to complement our investment. By cosponsoring this legislation, our Congress has the opportunity to keep this momentum moving forward and create a legacy worth remembering. It’s hard to imagine a more powerful way to work together."
– Veronica McDuffee, RESULTS Global Grassroots Organizer. Read more of her letter to the editor to the Idaho Statesman.
To support your media work on the Reach Act, we'll have special guest John Breunig on the May 14 national grassroots webinar! Join us at 2 pm ET that day to hear some terrific insights on working with with the media. Breunig is editorial page editor and former editor of the Stamford Advocate and Greenwich Time newspapers in Connecticut. Breunig has written about how his county copes with the widest income gap in the nation, and works annually on his papers’ campaign to assist struggling families. He was a runner-up in 2014’s National Society of Newspaper Columnists contest, and has won several awards for 9/11 coverage. His work has appeared in the New York Times, USA Today, The Week and the San Francisco Chronicle. Read his column in the Stamford Advocate, written after being awarded the Cameron Duncan Media Award at the 2015 RESULTS International Conference.
To join on Saturday: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
Due to political uncertainty in Brazil, the way forward with the Nutrition for Growth Summit has yet to be determined. So we're redoubling our efforts on making the Reach Act a reality.
Now is the time for representatives and senators to encourage the leadership of the House Foreign Affairs and Senator Foreign Relations Committees to work on the Reach Act. Media is making the case, and you've almost placed media in every state in the nation. Cosponsors are increasing the drumbeat of support. It's time for congressional leadership to act!
How can you call on congressional leadership to show the courage moms and kids deserve?
Check out these resources on our maternal/child health issue page as well as on our media toolkit page. Or you can take a quick online action framed around Mother's Day since we're only just past the holiday.
Our Reach Act Quarter 2 (April-June) goals: 150 cosponsors and 15 new Republicans. So far we have 129 cosponsors (55 Republicans) and 9 new Republicans. Let's knock it out of the park these next two months by calling for action in the media!
The International Conference is an opportunity to learn and connect, but also to move the needle on our issues and deepen relationships. Come to the 2016 International Conference and help us push the Reach Act toward passage as well as support replenishment of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria at the September 16 replenishment meeting in Canada. Meet the powerful schedulers in the offices of your representatives and senators in person. Then land that in-district or in-state meeting back home, too. Come and change the world!
1. Financial Assistance Available. Learning, connecting, making change, having fun, making memories. That's what's in store for all of us in DC during International Conference! Register today! If you want to come to the International Conference but are finding it difficult to gather all of the resources necessary to attend, let us know what your need is via our online form. We’ll do our best to support you.
2. Pre-IC and Post-IC Intensives. We are offering two extra opportunities to gain skills and have an impact at the 2016 IC. Below are the details on each of the workshop. Please join us! Both workshops will take place at the Washington Court Hotel, the same location as the RESULTS International Conference. If you are interested, check out this online application form and details.
Pre-IC Workshop: Global Health Network Building. Friday June 24, 3-6 pm, then dinner.
Post-IC Workshop: We’re All in This Together: Global Fund Op-ed Writing Workshop. Wednesday June 29, 8:30 am-1:30 pm, including lunch.
3. REAL Change Fellowship Applications Extended to May 31. We are recruiting the next generation of young activists and leaders in fighting poverty at home and abroad. RESULTS will train and guide you to create personal relationships with policymakers in Congress and other branches of government. We’ll train and support you to speak powerfully and engage with the media and your community. RESULTS has proven over the past 35 years that when people like you use their voices effectively, we can make progress towards ending poverty. For more information, see our website. And for inspiration from our current cohort of REAL Change fellows, check out this post by Kaylee Rogers.
4. Want to Find a Roommate for the Conference? Subscribe to the IC Help-Share Group by sending an email to [email protected] Then send a message requesting a roommate or offering room space. If you have questions on how the group works, contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate.
5. International Conference Discount Code for United Airlines. Conference attendees now have access to a code for a discounted fare on their United flight to/from the International Conference. Here's what to do:
Recently RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter sent an email inviting all of you to join our Road to Rio Fundraising Challenge. We hope you have all signed up for this exciting campaign! The money we raise will benefit the advocacy work we are already doing. This campaign is a fun and easy way for us to all be fundraisers and celebrate the global collaboration of the 2016 Summer Olympics being held in Rio de Janeiro. This is the first time we are coordinating with RESULTS affiliates in the UK and Canada on a collective fundraising effort. You can get started by setting up your personal friends and family page here: https://friendraising.donorpro.com/campaigns/322. If you need help setting up a page, contact Grassroots Fundraising Associate Jen DeFranco.
May 14, 2 pm ET. May National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots – Global Campaigns. Login information: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
June 25-28. RESULTS 2016 International Conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report Your 2016 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)