Global Poverty Weekly Update March 4, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Americans should know that the Global Fund has saved lives, and the Global Fund has an opportunity to help develop solutions to ending the epidemics [of HIV, TB, and malaria]. We are at a point where we need to invest more to achieve the goal of ending the three diseases as epidemics by 2030. Americans should also know that the U.S. has been taking a leadership role in this, including in the Global Fund, and that that leadership is needed to drive us through to the end.” Read more.
~ Maurine Murenga, Global Fund Advocates Network advocate and Global Fund ~
Be Inspired by the Extraordinary Maurine Murenga on March 9
Saturday, March 9, 2 pm ET, National Grassroots Webinar for our Global Poverty Campaigns. We will be welcoming Maurine Murenga, a Global Fund advocate and ally of RESULTS. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Ms. Murenga’s personal journey and advocacy expertise will make her an undoubtedly captivating guest. You can read her bio online.
And if you could utilize closed captioning for our national grassroots webinars (global campaigns), you can access it here: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb
Appropriations Deadlines Approaching
Appropriations Requests. The House Subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations has set a deadline for appropriations requests from members of Congress as March 28. That means individual congressional offices will have their internal deadlines for receiving requests much, much earlier than that. Don’t hesitate to send in your requests! Don’t wait!
- FY20 Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Request
- FY20 Tuberculosis Request
- FY20 Child Health and Nutrition Request
- FY20 Global Partnership for Education Request
- Appropriations Basics webinar playback.
- Appropriations explainer, to help you understand the process more thoroughly.
- Laser talk for making your appropriations requests.
- An online appropriations action you can share with others, click to our action alert.
Also Time-Sensitive: Two Sign-on Letters Open for Signatures
- House sign-on letter supporting the Global Fund and PEPFAR – no closing date set yet.
- House sign-on letter supporting the basic education and the Global Partnership for Education – closing date is March 18.
Please complement your appropriations requests by also making the request that your representatives sign onto these letter of information and influence.
How Are We Doing Setting the Agenda?
The Ticker of Accomplishment is Climbing. The 116th Congress must hear about our poverty-related priorities so that those priorities become the priorities of our legislators.
Our “Set the Agenda” aspirations for the next eight weeks . . .
- Every group/free agent meets with each congressional office they cover.
- Every group/free agents has at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress
- Every group/free agents makes an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting.
Then celebrate by taking a look at the Set the Agenda ticker.
Opportunities Not to Miss
- Using the Champion Scale for Greater Influence with Congress. Wednesday, March 13, 8:30 pm ET. What exactly are we trying to do with our advocacy? We want to determine where our elected officials in terms of their championing of our issues. And we have a tool to help you do just that. We’ll then map out next steps to move them into greater leadership on our issues. Ken Patterson, Director of Global Grassroots Advocacy, will lead. Join via Zoom at https://results.zoom.us/j/379628924 or dial in using (669) 900-6833, or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 379628924.
- Monthly Giving March. Now, through March 28, each new monthly donor added to the mix will gain us a $500 match, up to $10,000! What a remarkable opportunity to help provide a predictable stream of funding for our work together. For more details, go to our online page.
- 2019 International Conference Registration is Open. Earlybird rates are in effect. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in DC.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Accepting Applications. Share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
Next Congressional Recess: Week of March 18
March 6, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
March 7, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
March 9, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Guest: Maurine Murenga, Global Fund advocate. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
March 13, 8:30 pm ET. Using the Champion Scale for Greater Influence with Congress. What exactly are we trying to do with our advocacy? We want to determine where our elected officials in terms of their championing of our issues. And we have a tool to help you do just that. We’ll then map out next steps to move them into greater leadership on our issues. Ken Patterson, Director of Grassroots Advocacy, will lead. Join via Zoom at https://results.zoom.us/j/379628924 or dial in using (669) 900-6833, or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 379628924.
March 18, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
March 21, 9 pm ET. Quiet Leadership. Continuing on the third Thursday of each month up until the International Conference, Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch will host an encore of the book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. You can find the syllabus online. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and register before the May 15 earlybird deadline!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.