Global Poverty Weekly Update March 28, 2016
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of March 28, 2016
Quote of the Week
"Let us take action this World Tuberculosis Day with steps to end this disease that has plagued mankind since the dawn of time. It is by raising our voices that there is hope."
– Guest column by RESULTS advocate Willie Dickerson, Queen Anne & Magnolia News
National Grassroots Webinar/Conference Call April 9, 2 pm ET
The topic? Nutrition. Our guest? Lucy Martinez Sullivan, executive director of 1000 Days. Login information: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Get the word out and gather everyone for a powerful hour.
The Reach Act: New Goal for June!
150 cosponsors on the House version of the Reach Act before the International Conference, including 15 more Republicans. You've already reached 110 (including the bill's lead), with at least 20 of them being Republicans!
The legislation has real bipartisan movement, and we must capitalize on it. Keep up the excellent work, both in the House and in the Senate. (S.1911 has 14 names on the legislation.) Furthermore, we continue to work to blanket the nation with media on the Reach Act.
Four big ways to advocate:
1. Book meetings with your legislators to discuss the Reach Act and make your requests.
2. Call your representative about the Reach Act. Ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
3. Or write your senators! Again, ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
4. Even write your local paper! Have you tweeted out your latest published piece?
Want to see the outcomes of all the incredible work you did on appropriations for FY17? Read all about it!
Earlybird Discount for International Conference (And a Discount on United Airlines)
1. Support to Help You Get to the International Conference. Learning, connecting, making change, having fun, making memories. That's what's in store for all of us in DC during 2016 International Conference! Registration is open at the earlybird discount rate! If you want to come to the International Conference but are finding it difficult to gather all of the resources necessary to afford lodging and registration, let us know what your need is via our online form. We’ll do our best to support you!
2. International Conference Discount Code for United Airlines. Conference attendees now have access to a code for a discounted fare on their United flight to/from the International Conference. Here's what to do:
Do You Know the Power of REAL Change? Plus, RESULTS Keeps Expanding!
Are You an Aspiring Young Advocate-Leader? Then we are looking for you! We are recruiting the next generation of young activists and leaders in fighting poverty at home and abroad. RESULTS will train and guide you to create personal relationships with policymakers in Congress and other branches of government. We’ll train and support you to speak powerfully and engage with the media and your community. RESULTS has proven over the past 35 years that when people like you use their voices effectively, we can make progress towards ending poverty. For more information, see our website. And for inspiration from our current cohort of REAL Change fellows, check out this latest post by Kaylee Rogers.
Have You Seen Everywhere We've Been Growing? Read up on all the expansion work that's been happening this winter, and invite friends, family, and colleagues in the areas where RESULTS is now starting to be involved in this great venture from the ground up!
Upcoming Learning Opportunities
March 31, 2 pm ET. Advocacy 101 Webinar. This training will overview the basics on how to secure an in-district lobby meeting and make sure the meeting is a success. We'll also touch on resources to help you prepare to make the most of this opportunity! To join the meeting online, go to https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/31404402. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 31404402.
April 9, 2 pm ET. April National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots – Global Campaigns. Focus: Nutrition. Login information: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
April 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
June 25-28. RESULTS 2016 International Conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2016 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)