Global Poverty Weekly Update March 25, 2019
Quote of the Week
“[People] need leaders who help them shine, who help them fulfill their potential . . .”
~ David Rock, Quiet Leadership ~
(Check out our calendar to find out when the Quiet Leadership book club is meeting next. Hint: April 18!)
Appropriations: Pivoting to the Senate
The dust will be settling this week on your fantastic work on both House appropriations requests (which the State and Foreign Ops Subcommittee are calling for by March 28) and House “Dear Colleague” sign-on letters (letters of positive support and influence) across our appropriations areas.
- FY20 Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Request
- FY20 Tuberculosis Request
- FY20 Child Health and Nutrition Request
- FY20 Global Partnership for Education Request
Signatures are being collected and final counts will available soon. In the meantime, we can keep the momentum going by moving to the Senate. “Dear Colleague” letters are being formulated. In the meantime, the very same appropriations requests that went to the House can now go to the Senate.
Use this link for all four appropriations memos, as well as this laser talk. Make a call to your senators, ask for the foreign policy aide, and take those requests to the Senate if you haven’t already!
Five More Weeks for the “Set the Agenda” Campaign
Advocates across our entire network have blown past the 200-meeting mark, and the ticker is climbing. But this is just the start . . . and there is another recess the week of April 15, which is another great opportunity for meetings.
Our “Set the Agenda” goals stretch until the end of April . . . so we have about five more weeks to achieve our aspirations for this first trimester of the year.
- Every group/free agent meets with each congressional office they cover.
- Every group/free agents has at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress
- Every group/free agents makes an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting.
We want to know how we’re doing toward our goal, and we know that through reporting.
#ItsTimetoEndTB Congressional Briefings March 27 and 28
World TB Day was Sunday, but there are still events going on.
Briefings – Invite Your Members of Congress! RESULTS is co-sponsoring TB briefings in both the House and Senate this Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, to highlight the continuing TB pandemic and discuss what can be done. Invite your legislators and their staff to attend.
- House invitation for March 27 briefing – NOTE UPDATED LOCATION
- Senate invitation for March 28 briefing
Get Published. At your next RESULTS meeting or gathering, write letters to the editor about support for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria using our monthly action sheet for March.
What Does the International Conference Offer?
“The RESULTS International Conference was an eye opener for me. I realized that anyone and everyone can be an advocate for issues that matter. I never thought I’d go to the U.S., much less Capitol Hill. But on the last day of the RESULTS International Conference, that’s exactly where I found myself. Standing in front of the Capitol dome with hundreds of other advocates, all I could think was, ‘This is a central place of power. Decisions are made here. And here I am.’” – Joyce Matogo
2019 International Conference Registration is Open. Earlybird rates are in effect. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in Washington, DC.
Extra opportunities for learning intensives that will help you build skills. Cool “lightning” talks. Deep dives into our policy issue areas. Mixing and mingling with old and new friends, staff and RESULTS allies. Chances to network with advocates from around the world.
Now is the time to start saving, start raising travel funds, start planning. Check out the emerging schedule and make your plans!
And check out this brief video which talks about the value of the IC in the words of past attendees!
News You Can Use
- Monthly Giving March. Now through March 28, each new monthly donor added to the mix will gain us a $500 match, up to $10,000! We need just six more monthly donors to do go unlock the full match. What a remarkable opportunity to help provide a predictable stream of funding for our work together. For more details, go to our online page.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Accepting Applications. Share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
- Special April Guest Speaks on Malaria and Global Health. April 13, 2 pm ET.National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. We are excited to have Margaret McDonnell with us. She is the executive director of the UN Foundation’s Nothing But Nets campaign, a campaign tied in with the Global Fund as well as wider maternal/child health. You can see her bio online.
- Check out a Striking New Blog Piece. Read the profoundly powerful first-hand story of Shakila Enayatzade . . . her experience surviving TB and the life-saving work of the Global Fund. (There’s even more on the blog. Take a look around!)
Next Congressional Recess: Week of April 15
April 3, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
April 4, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
April 13, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Featuring Margaret McDonnell, Executive Director, UN Foundation’s Nothing But Nets campaign. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
April 15, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
April 18, 9 pm ET. Quiet Leadership. Continuing on the third Thursday of each month up until the International Conference, Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch is hosting an encore of the book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. You can find the syllabus online. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and register before the May 15 earlybird deadline!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.