Global Poverty Weekly Update June 26, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of June 26, 2017
Quote of the Week
"Through RESULTS, I realized that there is always something that can and NEEDS to be done."
– Tade Mengesha, RESULTS Chicago advocate
RESULTS International Conference: What To Do Now
Join us in our nation's capital July 22-25 for the RESULTS International Conference. Check out the current list of speakers as well as the current menu of workshops that will be available at this year's International Conference. We also have a growing support materials page for the conference.
1. Check Your List. Run through this handy International Conference preparation checklist as we look forward to our time together in DC.
2. Participate in Lobby Prep. RESULTS groups all over the country are booking meetings with congressional offices – check out our sample meeting request letters – for our day on the Hill (July 25). As part of this, group leaders and their advocates are working with our policy staff to coordinate state-specific coaching calls in preparation for those meetings. Prep calls are already taking place, but a chance to get up to speed can be made available if you are attending the conference and can't make your state's particular call. Have a question about the process? Contact Lisa Marchal and we'll get those questions answered quickly and easily.
3. Policy Briefs. Check back occasionally for updated policy briefs related to our asks for our day on the Hill.
4. Report Your Meetings! Once meetings are booked for our day on the Hill (July 25), please let us know they are happening by noting them in our online tracking document.
5. Mark Your Calendar for the July 8 National Webinar. The upcoming July national grassroots webinar/conference call will be dedicated to the International Conference – tips, stories, excitement, connection, and making sure those who can't attend feel part of the action as well! Don't miss it! Saturday, July 8 at 2 pm ET. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
6. Sign up for Extra Training. Are you in DC the morning of July 22 or sticking around DC the Wednesday morning (July 26) after the conference? Come learn with others at an intensive session. Check out the details online and register for a spot.
7. Nominate for the 2017 Bob Dickerson Award. Now is the time to nominate fellow grassroots advocates for the Dickerson Grassroots Leadership Award. This is your chance to nominate a RESULTS volunteer who deserves recognition for their leadership, courage, persistence, and commitment. For more than 15 years, Bob Dickerson (Seattle, WA) was an inspiring RESULTS grassroots volunteer leader – tireless in his advocacy, unstinting in his encouragement and support of other activists, and a generous financial supporter of RESULTS' work. Bob carried in his heart every day, a sense of what living in poverty means for people everywhere, and channeled that emotion into action. From forging strong relationships with members of Congress, to generating media, galvanizing local volunteers and calling his community to action, Bob proved that an individual can exercise their power as an advocate to create remarkable change in the world. Our volunteers are the bedrock of RESULTS, and Bob epitomizes the very best of what it means to be a grassroots advocate. Two RESULTS volunteers will be honored with this award at the 2017 RESULTS International Conference, July 22-25 in Washington, D.C. To nominate a grassroots volunteer, please email your nomination (no more than one page) to Mark Campbell by Friday June 30. Please include how this volunteer has contributed to achieving the mission of RESULTS, why they are a model for powerful citizen engagement, and why they inspire you.
8. Get Some Assistance. Global poverty advocates: apply for scholarship help – what we call "gap funding." And check out our conference FAQ for cost-saving tips on flights and more.
9. Spread the Excitement. Use Twitter or Facebook to showcase your enthusiasm and boldly ask someone new to join us in DC this summer.
Special note: We will soon have available a customizable invitation for our Advocacy Day (July 25) evening reception, to be held at our conference hotel. You'll be able to invite congressional offices to join us for this special celebration.
Support Global Education: Calls to Congress, Letters to the Hill
1. Senate READ Act. The Senate is taking up legislation that will make an incredible difference in the lives of girls and boys around the world. 250 million kids – nearly 40% of the world’s children – can’t read a single sentence. The Reinforcing Education Accountability in Development (READ) Act has been introduced by Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Dick Durbin (D-IL), and this bill would make sure that the U.S. is working efficiently and effectively with developing countries to get more out-of-school children a quality education. The READ Act, formerly known as the Education for All Act, was already passed unanimously in the House earlier this year.
Click to take action today – ask your senator to vote "yes" when this legislation gets to the floor!
2. Can You Send a Number of Letters to Capitol Hill? Over the next few weeks, utilize the June action sheet to invite new advocates to take part in changing the world by asking Congress to speak to the Administration about a robust pledge to the Global Partnership for Education (GPE). As mentioned, the focus of this action sheet is writing a letter to your members of Congress – your representative and both your senators – that you can bring to DC with you to the International Conference and hand deliver. Write a single letter addressed to all of your legislators and make several copies, one for each office. Or write individual letters. Just write! Not attending the conference and need someone to deliver your letters? Ask your group leader or contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, directly for assistance. You can also pair the action sheet with this laser talk and make a call to your members of Congress about GPE, too.
News and Notes
1. Help Us Unlock a $25,000 Match: Time is Running Out! Right now your gift to RESULTS will go even further. For the month of June only, a longtime RESULTS donor and volunteer will donate $1,000 for every new monthly donor – up to $25,000! Read more about this terrific opportunity on our website.
2. Looking Ahead. July's national grassroots webinar (July 8) will focus on preparation for the International Conference, and in August (August 12), we'll have special guest Selamawit Adugna Bekele, a passionate education, youth, and gender activist from Ethiopia.
3. Some Inspiration for the Week. Why do we do what we do? Take a listen to this wonderful interview with RESULTS ally and expert Global Partnership for Education advocate Patrick Makokoro.
Upcoming Learning and Action Opportunities
July 3-7. House and Senate Recesses.
July 8, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
July 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
July 22-25. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC, at the Washington Court Hotel. Registration is open!
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2017 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.