Global Poverty Weekly Update June 10, 2019
Quote of the Week
“I’ve seen optimism because I grew up in communities of recovery where people put their lives back together and find tomorrows that they didn’t think would be there. That fundamentally changed my life and is so much of where my hope comes from.”
~ DeRay Mckesson, newly announced keynote speaker for the 2019 RESULTS International Conference ~
Join us for the conference this year!
Top Action: Getting Published on the Global Fund
Let’s Fill in the Global Fund Media “Heat Map”! Your media work – particularly on the Global Fund – is starting to roll in from across the country. Let’s leverage the power of it in DC.
Where have we been published? Check out the Global Fund media map – our “heat map” showing all the spots around the country where you’ve been published once, five times, more than 10 times . . . it’s so motivating to see all the media piling up!
Can we fill in the blank spots on the heat map? Here’s how:
- An editorial packet (pitch to editors or use as basis for op-eds)
- The May Global Action Sheet and Meeting Guide. Use it to write letters to the editor and engage your community in writing letters, too.
- Online media action on the Global Fund that is shareable. Why not pass it along to your action network?
Once you get published, work with your fellow advocates to take to the International Conference a stack of printed letters and editorials on the Global Fund that you helped generate in your home state. Show how the issues we care about are being talked about back home. Create packets for each meeting that will be held with your senators and representatives.
Not sure how to get your letters and printed media to your state’s delegation for the International Conference? Contact us – we’ll help!
DeRay Mckesson is Coming to the International Conference
DeRay Mckesson is an educator and civil rights activist focused on issues of innovation, equity, and justice. He has recently published a new book of reflections on his life and activism, On the Other Side of Freedom: The Case for Hope. His award-winning podcast Pod Save the People dives deep into justice, culture, social issues, and politics.
DeRay was named one of the World’s Greatest Leaders by Fortune Magazine in 2015 and as one of the 30 Most Influential People On The Internet by Time Magazine in 2016. Join us to hear DeRay as he keynotes our conference, in addition to all the rich opportunities for connection, learning, fun, and effective advocacy that are awaiting you.
- Register today for this gathering in July 13-16 in Washington, DC. It will be a summer highlight, guaranteed.
- Ready, Set, Go! Not sure of everything that you need to prep? We have a handy checklist!
- Prep Help for Advocacy Day on the Hill. If you are registered for the conference and have indicated that you’ll be participating in Advocacy Day, be on the watch. Emails are going out to state delegations on how you can get support as you prep for Advocacy Day, the final day of the conference.
- Have You Booked Your Advocacy Day Meetings Yet? You might consider booking for the Senate side in the morning, the House side in the afternoon. And then let us know what you’ve booked. Need assistance? Don’t hesitate to ask your Regional Coordinator or staff.
- Read Up. Policy briefs on the issues we’ll be advocating on during the conference are now available. Our focus for the conference will be the Global Fund and global nutrition.
- Include Those at Home. Use the June Action Sheet to encourage letter-writers at home. How cool to hand-deliver a batch of letters to your senators and representatives! Or arrange to have folks dial into your Advocacy Day meetings. Folks at home can even set up an in-district follow-up meeting for the August recess. What other ideas can you think of?
- Last Call for Gap Funding Applications. Our priority in 2019 is to have all RESULTS chapters represented at the conference, so our resources will be spread around. Find out more and fill out the application online.
- Bob Dickerson Award Nominations Open. For more than 15 years, Bob Dickerson of Seattle was an inspiring RESULTS grassroots volunteer leader – tireless in his advocacy, unstinting in his encouragement and support of other activists, and a generous financial supporter of RESULTS’ work. At the IC, we seek to honor his spirit, found in our memories of him and found in the actions and attitudes of so many of our advocates. Nominate a fellow advocate today. Details are online, and the deadline to nominate is June 22.
- Invite Congressional Offices to the Closing Reception. A template invitation will soon be online for you to adapt and send.
- All the Information. Our main conference site is www.resultsconference.org. It’s all there for you!
Did You Know?
- The Reach Act on maternal/child health was reintroduced last evening through the leadership of Senators Collins (D-ME) and Coons (D-DE) and 22 original cosponsors. More information on the movement of this key legislation is forthcoming, as is a bill number. So exciting!
- We offer closed captioning during our monthly national grassroots webinar (global campaigns). You can access the captioning via this link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb
- If you go to our website and click on “Current Volunteers” in the upper right-hand corner, you’ll get a list of fantastic, pertinent resources just for you to aid you in doing your advocacy and organizing work. Need an action sheet? Want a training playback recording? Need to look up a legislator? It’s all there!
Next congressional recess coming up in August.
June 19, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
June 17, 8:30 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
June 20, 9 pm ET. Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch hosts the final installment of our book book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. Follow the syllabus and join in when you can. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
July 4. RESULTS Office Closed in Observance of Independence Day.
July 10, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
NO JULY NATIONAL GRASSROOTS WEBINAR.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page.
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.