Global Poverty Weekly Update December 20, 2018
Quote of the Week
Optimism is a political act. Those who benefit from the status quo are perfectly happy with a large population of people who think nothing is going to get any better. In fact, these days, cynicism is obedience. What’s really radical is being willing to look right at the magnitude and difficulty of the problems we face and still insist that we can solve those problems.
– Alex Steffen
(With thanks to our founder Sam Daley-Harris for the reminder of this great quote.)
Final Moments to “Reach” Out to Congress
Can We Achieve 50% of Congress on the Reach Every Mother and Child Act? As of December 20, there are 212 names on the House version of the bill and 50 (Hooray!) on the Senate version. Can we reach 218 in House? Even in these final hours of the 115th Congress, we can grow the list of cosponsors and build the bench of support for maternal and child health. Ask your representative to support maternal and child health by cosponsoring the Reach Act today.
We recognize that, as we all get familiar with this new website and the way that it’s linked with our existing resources, we’ll discover items here and there that need attention (broken links, etc.). Have no fear! After the office reopens in the new year, we’ll be able to begin addressing these items. And we trust you’ll love the new look and usability of the site!
2. The RESULTS Office will be closed for winter break Dec. 25-Jan. 1. We look forward to all that is ahead when we reopen January 2.
Resources and Opportunities As We Finish out 2018
1. Build Relationships with the New Congress. Use the December Action Sheet now and into the start of January to introduce yourself and your RESULTS group to the new Congress. This is particularly important if your district/state has new legislators.
2. Help Your Community Connect with RESULTS. Then use the December laser talk to invite folks to your first RESULTS meeting of 2019 in January!
3. Double Your Impact. Donations until midnight on December 31 are eligible for a match (up to $50,000). What makes this particularly exciting is that, through the power of advocacy, every $1 you donate to RESULTS can unlock at least $100 in U.S. investments in critical anti-poverty funding that support countries to vaccinate babies, give children a quality education, and provide economic opportunities so that everyone can thrive. That’s because your donation unleashes an army of volunteer advocates who press lawmakers to support the policies and funding that can break down the structures that perpetuate poverty. Donate before the new year begins!
Looking Ahead to Our Opportunities in Early 2019
1. First National Grassroots Webinar of 2019! While precise plans are still coming together, we are excited to note the first webinar of the year on Saturday, January 12 at 2 pm ET. We will be launching right into our appropriations work, some of the most uniquely specific and powerful work we do at the top each year, affecting all of our campaigns for the following fiscal year. Join this webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
2. Group Planning Materials. The week of January 7, renewed group planning resources will be available online. As we all re-set in the new year and watch the opening of the 116th Congress, we’ll take a bit of time to get our rosters, plans, and dreams set for the upcoming year. Be on the lookout for resources to help you do just that.
3. Appropriations. Also in January, we’ll be sharing fresh resources for our FY20 appropriations work (action sheet, issue backgrounder, etc.) And you can mark your calendars now for January 29. That’s the day we’ll have a webinar titled “Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns,” 9 pm ET, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
4. The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Application is Open! Check out and share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
Your Reporting Tells Us When We Reach New Milestones
We love knowing of all the advocacy actions you accomplish. Your thorough reporting is how we can keep track for our own reporting, celebrating, and next steps. As of December 19, you reported at least 573 meetings with members of Congress and their offices, 157 outreach events, and 353 media pieces. How high would those numbers be if you finished your reporting?
MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THE 2019 RESULTS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE – Grand Hyatt Washington (DC) – July 13-16. Watch the dedicated webpage for announcements as plans unfold.
December 25-January 1. RESULTS Office Closed for Winter Break.
January 9, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
January 10, 1:00 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
January 12, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
January 14, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
January 29, 9 pm ET. Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns, 9 pm ET, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- Learning Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar (coming soon for 2019)
- Report 2018 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.