Global Poverty Weekly Update December 2, 2019
Quote of the Week
“I only have one life, and I can’t waste it. The best way I know how to use my life is by making a difference in the world through RESULTS.”
– Beth Wilson, RESULTS Regional Coordinator
Grassroots Support Updates
Schedule for December and January
The Saturday, December 14 National Grassroots Webinar at 2 pm ET will focus on how we’re finishing up the year and how this will position us for a great start to 2020.
January 11, 1-2 pm ET (earlier time): Joint National Grassroots Webinar. We’ll lay out 2020 US and Global poverty campaigns and introduce “RESULTS 2020 Roadmap,” the planning process for groups and Free Agents.
To join the webinars online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. The closed captioning link is http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
We got some very helpful feedback on how to make our national webinars more efficient and helpful to all our grassroots in 2020. Read on . . .
Schedule starting in February
February 1, 1-2:30 pm ET: The new RESULTS National Webinar!
- 1-1:30 pm ET: US Poverty speaker and campaign information.
- 1:30-2 pm ET: Grassroots Café: organizing, shares, in-room activities with your group, calendar, events, etc.
- 2–2:30 pm ET: Global Poverty speaker and campaign information.
For February and beyond, except for July, national webinars will be held on the first Saturday of the month at 1 pm ET and will follow the February format outlined above. The move to the first Saturday in the month will give you more time in the month to take action while avoiding a number of holiday weekends.
Weekly Update. Starting by the end of January, we’ll be combining the U.S. Poverty and Global Poverty Weekly Updates. Whether you are working on one set of issues or both, you’ll find what you need for the week in one email instead of two. The e-mail version of the update will link to an extended version on the RESULTS website.
Text Actions. We hope to roll out the ability to receive RESULTS action alerts via text message during the first half of the year. More to come.
We hope you’ll enjoy these enhanced means of support, making your advocacy easier and even more powerful!
Global Fund Resolutions Pass Senate and House!
The U.S. pledged to the Global Fund in October. Now the Global Fund resolutions (H.Res. 517 and S.Res. 318) we’ve been working on this year have passed the both the Senate and House as of Tuesday afternoon. Incredible! This new development, with the continued positive pressure of thank-yous and media, will help us see through on our pledge.
Tell the Story. Let fellow advocates and supporters know that our advocacy has worked and that they are part of the success! Share the highlights using our blog post.
Share Thanks. Use our online media action or our online congressional action as a tool to thank House and Senate members for their support. Keep the issue front and center.
Invite Others to Step Up. Do you know one or two people in your personal and/or RESULTS network who are inspired and could take their advocacy to the next level with some support? Offer them an opportunity to take a transformational action. Use this laser talk to make your invitation. Let them know you’ll support them.
- Folks Can Get Published. Letters are being written and submitted every day. Others can join in, penning a letter to the editor highlighting the Global Fund success, bipartisan cooperation, and what it means for the world. In the meantime, use our December Action Sheet or our quick online action.
- Folks Can Request Cosponsorship on Nutrition. Get in touch with a representative or senator to ask for nutrition resolution cosponsorship via our online action, an in-district, or perhaps a conference call meeting. Even as we close the loop on Global Fund work, we are moving forward with our nutrition campaign in advance of key nutrition moments next year.
Advocacy Training Recordings Now Available
Recently, our Expansion Team completed a training series with many across the country interested in joining RESULTS for the first time. The recordings of this wide-ranging advocacy basics training are available to you online as well! Campaigns overviews, understanding Congress, media skills, meeting with members of Congress, and even a bit on grassroots organizing in general.
Check out the recording set on our website. (Click the drop-down for the recording for each topic listed.)
Webinar Naming Contest
In February, our national webinar take on a new format (combined U.S. and Global), new day (first Saturday of the month), and new time (1 pm ET). We think a fresh new move like this deserves a fresh new name as well. Since many of our best ideas come from our grassroots, we’re running a contest to name the new webinar. The winner will receive a free registration for the 2020 RESULTS International Conference. Submit your name suggestion for our new combined national grassroots webinar to [email protected] by Wednesday, January 8. The winner and new name will be announced on the January 11 national webinar.
Next Full Congressional Recess Starts December 21.
Action Network Community of Practice. December 4, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. Join in at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
New Advocate Orientation. December 10, 12 pm. ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on next steps. Sign up here.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. December 14, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
Global Free Agents Webinars. December 16, 2 pm ET only (special time). Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. Need a different time? Contact Ken Patterson.
Joint National Grassroots Webinar. January 11, 1 pm ET. It’s at an earlier time, and we’ll welcome our U.S. poverty colleagues.
To join the webinar online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
New National Grassroots Webinars Begin in February.
RESULTS International Conference. June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC. We’ll be celebrating our 40th birthday, and registration is now open. Will you be there?
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report Your Actions – Keep Up to Date!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
- Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.