Global Poverty Weekly Update August 12, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio, one of our key allies and a leader for fair and progressive tax policy, for health care, for workers’ rights, and our champion for over two decades on global tuberculosis spoke to us and said many things that were inspiring. But he also said again, what he said before, which is that he really thinks that RESULTS is the best citizens advocacy organization that he knows.”
Joanne Carter, August National Webinar, speaking about the International Conference
It Will Take All We Have on the Global Fund
On the August 12 Joint Global/US Poverty Webinar (listen to the recording here), we outline our plan to generate overwhelming support for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria (Global Fund) replenishment on October 10. The President has proposed cutting funding for the Global Fund when we need a significant increase. Congress has pushed back against the White House—so far. We need to ensure that the House and Senate continue their bipartisan leadership to ensure the U.S. comes up with one-third of the $14 billion needed by the Global Fund over the next three years. The rest of the world is watching the U.S.—we need to let them know that the U.S. will continue to lead and that they that they must step-up on the Global Fund as well. Here’s what you can do:
Take Action on House Global Fund Resolution 517. H.Res. 517 calls for continued U.S. leadership on Global Fund, which will help save and additional 16 million lives over the next three years and move the world closer to ending AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria once and for all.
- Got 5 minutes? Use our online action to write to you representative, calling on them to cosponsor H.Res. 517. Then send the action to a friend.
- Got 10 minutes? Call the foreign policy aide in your representative’s office directly and ask them to have the congressperson cosponsor H.Res. 517. You can follow up by sending them a fact sheet and asking when they can respond to your request.
- Got more time? Use our August Action Sheet (Word version) to engage others in writing letters to your representative and senators on the Global Fund resolutions (a Senate resolution will be introduced in September).
- Another powerful action. Set up a meeting with your members of Congress or attend a town hall meeting during the August congressional recess. See our resources here for setting up meetings. Congress is away from Washington until September 9, so you have time to meet with them while they are at home. Check their website, call their office to find out when they are holding town hall meetings.
Generate Global Fund Media. We need Congress and the world to know that the U.S. public is behind the Global Fund replenishment. Our goal is to generate media on the Global Fund in all 50 states to encourage Congress to take action, and to demonstrate to the world that the U.S. will lead on the Global Fund. Here’s what you can do:
- Use the resources on this blog post to generate letters to the editor, opeds, editorials, and other media in support of the Global Fund replenishment. Help us get published in all 50 states—check out the map.
Calendar of Events
August 1 – September 9. Congress is at home for recess—meet with them.
August 13, 12 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
August 19, 1 or 7 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. If these times don’t work for you, contact Ken Patterson for support.
August 21, 8:30 pm ET. Webinar: “ ‘Wow, I got published!’: Making Media a Transformational Experience.” We can use RESULTS campaign actions to create transformational experiences for new advocates that will inspire them and lead them toward longer-term engagement with our RESULTS Groups. Join us and get practical guidance on using organizing practices and our media actions to spur deeper engagement. Join here: https://results.zoom.us/j/586201507, or dial 929-436-2866 or 669-900-6833, ID: 586201507#
September 4, 8:30 pm ET. Action Network Community of Practice. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? Then join the Action Network Community of Practice. This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm ET. Join: in: https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial in: 669-900-6833, Meeting ID: 427 674 133.
September 14, 2 pm ET. Global National Webinar. To join the webinar online, login online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
September 19, 8:30 pm ET. Repeat of “ ‘Wow, I got published!’: Making Media a Transformational Experience.” Join here: https://results.zoom.us/j/586201507, or dial 929-436-2866 or 669-900-6833, ID: 586201507#
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Group Member or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.