Global Poverty Weekly Update April 25, 2016
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of April 25, 2016
Quote of the Week
"I am amazed to find that I now walk into meetings with members of Congress feeling confident, informed, and empowered."
Earlybird Deadline is Saturday and Financial Assistance Available: 2016 International Conference
The International Conference is an opportunity to learn and connect, but also to move the needle on our issues and deepen relationships. Come to the 2016 International Conference and help us push the Reach Act toward passage. Meet the powerful schedulers in the offices of your representatives and senators in person. Then land that in-district or in-state meeting back home, too. Come and change the world!
1. Earlybird Rate Ends April 30 and Financial Assistance Available. Learning, connecting, making change, having fun, making memories. That's what's in store for all of us in DC during International Conference! Registration is open at the earlybird discount rate! If you want to come to the International Conference but are finding it difficult to gather all of the resources necessary to attend, let us know what your need is via our online form. We’ll do our best to support you!
2. Cameron Duncan Award Nominations Due Friday, April 29. Nominations are open for a few more days for the 2016 Cameron Duncan Media Award. This award is given each year to a journalist who has demonstrated outstanding reporting on issues related to poverty. The award is named in honor of Cameron Duncan, a former associate executive director of RESULTS who devoted his life to fighting poverty. While there is no formal requirement for the journalist to accept the award in person, we hope the winner will join us for the International Conference this June. Along with a short nomination letter/email (2-3 paragraphs), please submit links to relevant clips from the past 12 months that demonstrate the journalist's dedication to our issues. Please send all nominations to me Colin Smith, Director of Communications. Here’s a list of our recent honorees and more background on the award. Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions or ideas for nominees.
3. REAL Change Fellowship Applications due April 30. We are recruiting the next generation of young activists and leaders in fighting poverty at home and abroad. RESULTS will train and guide you to create personal relationships with policymakers in Congress and other branches of government. We’ll train and support you to speak powerfully and engage with the media and your community. RESULTS has proven over the past 35 years that when people like you use their voices effectively, we can make progress towards ending poverty. For more information, see our website. And for inspiration from our current cohort of REAL Change fellows, check out this post by Kaylee Rogers.
4. Pre-IC and Post-IC Intensives. We are offering two extra opportunities to gain skills and have an impact at the 2016 IC. Below are the details on each of the workshop. Please join us! Both workshops will take place at the Washington Court Hotel, the same location as the RESULTS International Conference. If you are interested, check out this online application form and details.
Pre-IC Workshop: Global Health Network Building. Friday June 24, 3-6 pm, then dinner.
Post-IC Workshop: We’re All in This Together: Global Fund Op-ed Writing Workshop. Wednesday June 29, 8:30 am-1:30 pm, including lunch.
5. International Conference Discount Code for United Airlines. Conference attendees now have access to a code for a discounted fare on their United flight to/from the International Conference. Here's what to do:
6. Want to Find a Roommate for the Conference? Subscribe to the IC Help-Share Group by sending an email to [email protected]. Then send a message requesting a roommate or offering room space. If you have questions on how the group works, contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate.
The Reach Act: Mother's Day is a Fantastic Media Hook
So the question is . . . have you written a letter to the editor and submitted it to your newspaper yet? Mother's Day is a perfect hook for talking about maternal/child health and the potential power of H.R.3706/S.1911, the Reach Act. Now is a golden window of time. Do you have 15 minutes to make a difference? Use this online action alert to write your local paper! (And, if you've been published, have you posted your piece on social media and sent a copy to your legislators?)
Additionally, this week we're rolling out a fresh editorial packet, a new action sheet, a Spring 2016 education and action/outreach guide, and more. Check out these resources on our maternal/child health issue page.
Do You Know a Great Board Candidate?
We are pleased to announce that the RESULTS & RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member election will be held this summer, with one seat being filled in July. Grassroots Board Members play a vital role in the RESULTS family, representing our volunteer network on the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of the Boards of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund. We are seeking nominations of RESULTS activists who would be strong candidates for this role. We encourage participation from any active RESULTS volunteer including those from diverse populations including young adults and racial and ethnic minorities. Eligible candidates to be a Grassroots Board Member must have at least one year active experience as a RESULTS volunteer in the United States. Nominations are due by Monday, May 2. For more information on qualifications and the nomination process, contact Jack McLaughlin.
Other Key Updates
1. Right to Education Index. In 2015, RESULTS Educational Fund and partners piloted the new global accountability tool, the Right to Education Index, in five countries — Chile, Nigeria, the Philippines, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe. The results of that pilot are now available in the Right to Education Index Pilot Report. RTEI has proven to be an effective diagnostic tool for identifying barriers to the right to education at the national level. It has also demonstrated itself as a powerful means of building civil society capacity and expertise around the right to education. Read more of this incredible report on our blog.
2. Road to Rio Friends & Family Fundraising Campaign. Watch for an update this week on the launch of the Road to Rio Friends & Family Fundraising Campaign . . . the run-up to the Olympics will mean a ramp-up of our support for RESULTS!
Upcoming Learning Opportunities
April 29, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
May 14, 2 pm ET. May National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots – Global Campaigns. Login information: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
June 25-28. RESULTS 2016 International Conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2016 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)