RESULTS Weekly Update January 24, 2023
Quote of the Week
“Across the United States, there seems to be a consensus that our country is suffering from a “housing crisis.” Renting a home keeps getting more difficult for people with less money.”
– RESULTS South Kitsap, WA volunteer Leslie Boyer in a January 17 letter to the editor in the Kitsap Sun
- End January strong with your plans and meeting requests
- Quick News on U.S. and Global Poverty
- Upcoming Events
- Grassroots Resources
End January strong with your plans and meeting requests
Both the House and the Senate return to Washington, DC this week. As the winter progresses, their calendars will get busier. Lobbyists are talking to them about their priorities. We must do the same.
That’s why RESULTS has set a premium on our Set the Agenda campaign. The campaign is simple: plan, lobby, and follow up. Building political will in Congress is a tough process. With a campaign goal of meeting with every member of Congress we cover, we are making a significant impact right out of the gate.
Fortunately, you have gotten a head start by completing your 2023 Roadmaps and lobby meeting requests in January. But don’t let your momentum slip. If we want to tackle child poverty, housing instability, global health, and global education, it will take a strong and concerted effort from all of us. Let’s go!
TAKE ACTION: Set the agenda with the new Congress. Start by completing these actions by January 31.
- Complete your 2023 Roadmap. Meet with your group to discuss and document your 2023 goals and plans. Use our 2023 Roadmap resources to help set an inspiring agenda for the year. Find resources here under “Make your group plans”. If you have questions, please contact Jos Linn for assistance.
- Request lobby meetings and schedule a lobby prep call. Submit your lobby meeting requests for each of representative and senator you cover. RESULTS staff will coach you on our current policy requests and provide strategies for talking with your members of Congress about our issues. Please contact Katie Fleischer to schedule a lobby prep call for your state.
- Review Set the Agenda resources. Read our new policy briefs to prepare yourself on the issues, use our sample meetings request to ask for lobby meetings, and practice our new laser talks to get comfortable with what to say. Check out all the fabulous resources to help you have powerful lobby meetings this year on Set the Agenda page.
Quick News on U.S. and Global Poverty
Make sure to claim your EITC this year. You work hard. See if the earned income tax credit can work just as hard for you. Did you earn less than $59,187? Then you may be eligible for the earned income tax credit. Do you have a child that qualifies you for the earned income tax credit? Check to see if you also qualify for the child tax credit or the credit for other dependents.
EITC Awareness Day this Friday. On January 27, the IRS will recognize EITC Awareness Day. The event is designed to spotlight the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which lifts millions of workers, children, and families out of poverty each year. Lawmakers, organizations, and advocates use Awareness Day to remind eligible people to claim their EITC on their taxes each year. Stay tuned to the RESULTS Blog for more about the EITC later this week.
Media hook for the week. Use the hook ideas below to submit a letter to the editor this week. If you need a template, use our online media actions to edit and submit your letter today.
- U.S. Poverty: Tax season has started but millions of low-income families will owe more because the expanded Child Tax Credit has expired. Congress should pass bipartisan legislation this year expanding the CTC again to cover all low-income children.
- Global Poverty: How will the 118th Congress prioritize global access to education, maternal and child health, and more? Americans are eager to see them show leadership on these issues.
Learn how to research your members of Congress tomorrow. Join Regional Coordinator Allison Gallaher for tips and tools on how to learn more about your member of Congress. Learn how to find what they care about, how they plan to lead, and where we can connect with our issues. Bring your questions to this 90-minute training. The webinar is Wednesday, January 25 at 8:30 pm ET. Register today.
Join our Set the Agenda orientation tomorrow. Over the past couple of years, many people have reached out to learn more about RESULTS. If you are newer to RESULTS and want to know more about engaging the new Congress on the end of poverty, RSVP to our Set the Agenda orientation on Wednesday, January 25 at 8:00 pm ET. And if you are a RESULTS leader supporting newer advocates, watch for more resources soon.
Register for the February National Webinar. Our next RESULTS National Webinar is on Saturday, February 4 at 1:00 pm ET. Our theme will be creating effective relationships with members of Congress, with a particular look at how you can work with fellow advocates for inclusive, powerful lobby meetings. Please join us! If you have not registered for a 2023 national webinar, please register for the webinar today. Once you register, you will be registered for the remaining national webinars this year.
Update on in-person events in 2023. After several years of remote meeting, we want to expand opportunities for RESULTS volunteers to gather together in-person in 2023. This year, we’ll focus on supporting in-person gatherings by city, state, or region. Staff will be available to provide support and join you for these gatherings as we are able. We’ll also look at holding small, strategic, fly-in lobbying events in Washington, DC. Finally, we will hold a virtual gathering for the RESULTS network later this year (similar to our virtual International Conferences but smaller) with the intent of holding a large, in-person International Conference in Washington in 2024.
Congressional schedule. The House and Senate are in session this week.
Typically, registration ends one hour prior to the start of all webinars and trainings. Also, if you do not fall within the target audience listed for each event, you are still welcome to attend unless listed otherwise.
Wednesday, January 25: Set the Agenda campaign orientation for new advocates, 8:00 pm ET. RSVP today.
Wednesday, January 25: Researching Your Members of Congress, 8:30 pm ET. Register today.
Friday, January 27: Diversity & Inclusion 101 Focus Group, 12:00 pm ET. This gathering is for those who attended Diversity & Inclusion 101 in 2021 or 2022. To register, contact Lakeisha McVey.
Wednesday, February 1: New Advocate Mentor Community of Practice, 8:00 pm ET. Register today.
Saturday, February 4: Monthly National Webinar, 1:00 pm ET. Register today.
Thursday, February 9: New Advocate Orientation, 12:00 pm ET. Register today.
Thursday, February 9: Grassroots Town Hall Discussion, 8:30 pm ET. Topic: “What does the RESULTS Board do and how do leaders make change within RESULTS?” To join, login at https://tinyurl.com/GRBoardFeb, passcode: Grassroots.
Thursday, February 9: Global Allies Program with Returned Peace Corps Volunteers, 8:30 pm ET. Register today.
Wednesday, February 15: Action Network Webinar, 12:30 pm and 8:00 pm ET. Join to learn how better to activate and support your group’s action network (online) members. No registration required. Join the 12:30 webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/93288388695. Join the 8:00 webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/91531456676.
Wednesday, February 15: Media Office Hour, 2:00 pm ET. Bring your media-writing questions. No registration required. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/93668005494 or (312) 626-6799, meeting ID 936 6800 5494.
Thursday, February 16: U.S. Poverty Policy Forum, 8:00 pm ET. Register today.
Thursday, February 16: Global Poverty Policy Forum, 9:00 pm ET. Register today.
Learn about the RESULTS Experts on Poverty.
Remember to please report your recent advocacy successes in lobby meetings, media, and outreach activities. Also, use our Volunteer Information Form to add or edit volunteer info and to sign up for updates and alerts.