RESULTS Weekly Update January 17, 2023
Quote of the Week
“There are legitimate roles for the Federal Government for our protection and international affairs.”
– RESULTS Chicago volunteer Oscar Lanzi in a January 8 letter to the editor in The Times of Northwest Indiana
- “Set the Agenda” for the new Congress now
- Join U.S. and Global Policy Forums this Thursday
- Quick News on U.S. and Global Poverty
- Upcoming Events
- Grassroots Resources
“Set the Agenda” for the new Congress now
The first few weeks of Congress have been interesting to say the least. But important work still needs to be done. Ignore the headlines and focus on what you do best – convincing lawmakers of all backgrounds to prioritize practical solutions to poverty.
You are taking an important step in the process this month by setting goals for your 2023 advocacy work. We have an ambitious agenda this year, which kicks off in our Set the Agenda campaign. Even with the divided Congress, we intend to fully engage with lawmakers to convince them that:
- Expanding the Child Tax Credit (CTC) is the best solution to reduce child poverty in the U.S.
- Creating a Renter Tax Credit will provide low-income renters with resources to afford a safe affordable place to live
- Ending needless tuberculosis deaths is within our grasp if we invest in policies that work
- Ensuring mothers and children don’t die preventable malnutrition and disease
- Offering every child, regardless of where they live, a chance at a basic education
As with any Congress, success is not guaranteed. But that does not deter us. We push until it’s done. Thankfully, we are already on our way. Your work last year on the CTC, tuberculosis, global education and malnutrition moved us down the road toward ultimate success. Set the Agenda will move us closer.
TAKE ACTION: Help make our Set the Agenda a resounding success. Here’s what to do:
- Complete your 2023 Roadmap. If you want members of Congress to prioritize the end of poverty, you need a plan. Your 2023 Group Roadmap is that plan. Schedule a time to meet as a group in January to discuss and document your goals and plans. Use our 2023 Group Roadmap Guide for your planning meeting agenda, Individual Planning Form to set personal advocacy goals, and updated Group Roles document to choose the roles for your groups. Find these resources here under “Make your group plans”. Please complete your Roadmap by January 31. If you have questions, please contact Jos Linn for assistance.
- Set up lobby meetings and a lobby prep call. Getting face-to-face with lawmakers and their staff early in the year is critical to our success. Don’t wait to get started. Submit lobby meeting requests for each of the representatives and senators you cover. Also, RESULTS staff will coach you on our current policy requests and provide strategies for talking with your specific congressional offices about the issues. Please contact Katie Fleischer to schedule a lobby prep call for your state.
- Review new resources. Get ready for your lobby meetings and other actions by reviewing new background information, advocacy resources, and our map showing completed lobby meetings throughout the campaign on our Set the Agenda page.
Join U.S. and Global Policy Forums this Thursday
Join us this Thursday evening for our first Monthly Policy Forums of 2023! On the U.S. Policy Forum at 8:00 pm ET, RESULTS staff will discuss the legislative advocacy process and how our U.S. poverty policy priorities fit within that process. The goal is to provide you with additional context to help you strategize for lobby meetings and other actions throughout the year. During our Global Policy Forum at 9:00 pm ET, RESULTS staff will overview basic information on the annual appropriations process. You will learn how congressional appropriations works and how best to advocate in order to further our global campaigns priorities within appropriations.
TAKE ACTION: Join our U.S. and Global Policy Forums this Thursday, January 19. You must register for each forum to attend. Register for the U.S. Forum at 8:00 pm ET and the Global Forum at 9:00 pm ET today.
Quick News on U.S. and Global Poverty
Media hook for the week. The start of the new Congress is the time for constituents to set the agenda for those who represent us. Ending U.S. and global poverty should be at the top of their list.
Need media coaching? Join media office hour tomorrow. If you want to up your media advocacy game but need help getting started, finding hooks, locating data, or anything else, join RESULTS staff for our media office hour tomorrow, January 18 at 2:00pm ET. Join via Zoom at: https://results.zoom.us/j/93668005494 or (312) 626-6799, meeting ID: 936 6800 5494.
Attend Researching Your Members of Congress training next week. Join Regional Coordinator Allison Gallaher for tips and tools on how to learn more about your returning or new member of Congress – what they care about, how they plan to lead, and where we can connect with our issues. Bring your questions to this 90-minute training. The webinar is Wednesday, January 25 at 8:30 pm ET. Register today.
Attend Set the Agenda campaign orientation for new advocates next week. Over the past couple of years, so many people have reached out to learn more about RESULTS and consider getting involved. If you are newer to RESULTS and want to know more about how we are planning to engage with this new Congress and call on them to prioritize the end of poverty, RSVP to an orientation on Wednesday, January 25 at 8:00 pm ET. And if you are a RESULTS leader supporting newer advocates, watch for more resources soon.
Congressional schedule. The House and Senate are on recess this week.
Unless otherwise noted, registration ends one hour prior to the start of all webinars and trainings.
Tuesday, January 17: Together Women Rise Introduction to Advocacy Webinar, 8:30 pm ET. Join at this link.
Tuesday, January 17: U.S. Poverty Free Agents, 1:00 pm and 9:00 pm ET. Choose the time best for you. Contact Jos Linn for information on how to join.
Wednesday, January 18: Action Network Managers Webinar, 12:30 pm and 8:00 pm ET. Choose the time best for you. Click for the 12:30 pm ET session or click for the 8:00 pm ET session. No registration required.
Wednesday, January 18: Media Office Hour, 2:00 pm ET. Join via Zoom at https://results.zoom.us/j/93668005494 or dial (312) 626-6799, meeting ID 936 6800 5494. No registration required.
Thursday, January 19: U.S. Poverty Policy Forum, 8:00 pm ET. Register today.
Thursday, January 19: Global Poverty Policy Forum, 9:00 pm ET. Register today.
Monday, January 23: Global Poverty Free Agents, 7:00 pm ET. Contact Lisa Marchal for information on how to join.
Wednesday, January 25: Set the Agenda campaign orientation for new advocates, 8:00 pm ET. RSVP today.
Wednesday, January 25: Researching Your Members of Congress, 8:30 pm ET. Register today.
Wednesday, February 1: New Advocate Mentor Community of Practice, 8:00 pm ET. Register today.
Saturday, February 4: Monthly National Webinar, 1:00 pm ET. Register today.
Thursday, February 9: Grassroots Town Hall Discussion, 8:30 pm ET. Topic: “What does the RESULTS Board do and how do leaders make change within RESULTS?” To join, login at https://tinyurl.com/GRBoardFeb, passcode: Grassroots.
Thursday, February 9, Global Allies Program with Returned Peace Corps Volunteers, 8:30 pm ET. Register today.
Learn about the RESULTS Experts on Poverty.
Remember to please report your recent advocacy successes in lobby meetings, media, and outreach activities. Also, use our Volunteer Information Form to add or edit volunteer info and to sign up for updates and alerts.