Global Weekly Update September 15, 2014
Top Action: Support Child Vaccines Through Cosponsors and Media
Our goal: To get the United States to pledge $1 billion over four years at the Gavi replenishment conference in January of 2015. The U.S. pledge will support Gavi in raising $7.5 billion to vaccinating 300 million children from 2016 through 2020, saving over 5 million lives.
Got 2 minutes? Use our online action to ask your representative to cosponsor House Resolution 688 in support of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. We currently have 41 cosponsors on the resolution with a goal of 115 by October 1. If your representative is already a cosponsor, thank him/her and ask them to invite other representatives to cosponsor. You can call your representative's office through the Capitol Switchboard, (202) 224-3121, or you can look up your representative's direct contact information on our website.
Got 5 minutes? Pitch our new Gavi editorial packet to your editor! You can use elements of our new media toolkit to make it happen in 1, 2, 3!
- Editorial packet
- Sample pitches to your editor
- Laser talk to help you follow up on your pitch a week later
Got 10 minutes? Call your representative's office and request a face-to-face meeting with your representative. (Get tips online on how to do this.) When you meet, ask that your representative please cosponsor House Resolution 688 in support of Gavi's effort to save millions of children's lives using vaccinations. If your representative is already a cosponsor, thank him/her and ask them to invite other representatives to cosponsor. You can call your representative's office through the Capitol Switchboard, (202) 224-3121, or you can look up your representative's direct contact information on our website.
Got 20 minutes? Use our September Action Sheet (also in PDF format) to write a letter to the editor on the power of vaccinations. The action sheet contains everything you need, including a sample letter. You can find contact information for your local media outlets on our website.
Need to know more about our Gavi campaign? Check out our resource page.
Additional Gavi Campaign Info
1. Gavi Resolution in the Senate and a Sign-on Letter in the House. Stay tuned for news on a Gavi support resolution expected to be introduced in the Senate soon as well as word of a sign-on letter open to members of the House.
2. Strong Advocacy Can Help Build Group Health. We have organized the Gavi vaccination campaign to do great things in the world and build more powerful group's and advocates between now and January. Take advantage of the extra support RESULTS is providing:
- Organize a great community outreach meeting. Use our outreach guide!
- Develop grasstops relationships. Contact Teresa Rugg for training and support, including information on the upcoming support call on Tuesday, September 16 at 9 pm ET. On the 16th, dial into (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 for a great half hour. If you are new to RESULTS or just having a hard time finding or getting your grasstops champions (community influencers) to be in action with your group, this call is for you! Join us as we learn how to discover grasstops people, connect our global campaigns with local concerns, make your first introduction(s) successful, and utilize both active listening and good follow-up.
- Build your local action network. Help more people take action and understand their personal power. Contact Lisa Marchal for training and support, including more information on the upcoming support call on Friday, September 19 at 1 pm ET (corrected time). On the 19th, dial in to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 for a great 30-minute call. Time spent cultivating folks who have shown interest in RESULTS and your group is time invested well. Get some quick tips on how to engage these visitors to become more deeply enrolled in the work of RESULTS! (Find great info online, too.)
Grassroots News You Can Use
1. Check out this hot-off-the-press article written for Devex on the Global Partnership for Education by our own advocate Colleen McCracken! Also, take a look at this blogpost by advocate Cindy Changyit Levin entitled "Raising My Voice & My Kids."
2. Our partners at RESULTS UK are thrilled at the latest move the UK Parliament has made to protect their foreign aid contributions. Read more on the RESULTS UK website.
3. Know anyone who'd like to be part of a new RESULTS group in Madison, Wisconsin? Check out this meeting invitation for October 4. Plus, read about some wonderful expansion efforts happening right now in Arizona and Kansas.
Have You Seen the Changes?
Have you seen our new and improved Friends and Family pages? If you haven't yet taken a minute to view the pages, check them out today. They are easier than ever to set up for events like birthdays, anniversaries, and milestone events through our Celebrations campaign! And we already have pages established for our Virtual Thanksgiving Feast ready for teams or individuals start using today! Taking on a physical challenge soon? Why not fundraise for RESULTS while you do it? We have our Race to End Poverty page already set up for you to make every mile matter.
Maybe your group is hosting an event soon? Why not run your online donation campaign in conjunction with your event to include out of town friends and family in your event virtually? The development team is ready and available to help set up pages for groups, teams, individuals . . . just let us know. Contact Jen DeFranco to get your page started today.
"One of the great liabilities of history is that all too many people fail to remain awake through great periods of social change . . . Today, our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change."
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
September 16, 9 pm ET. Finding and Connecting with Grasstops Champions in your Community. Dial into (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 for a great half hour of learning how to build relationships with community influencers.
September 19, 1 pm ET (corrected time). Building and Maintaining Your Action Network. Dial in to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. Time spent cultivating folks who have shown interest in RESULTS and your group is time invested well. On this 30-minute call, get some quick tips on how to engage these visitors to become more deeply enrolled in the work of RESULTS!
September 24, 9 pm ET (new date). Growing Your RESULTS Group Support Call. Dial in to (712) 432 3100, passcode 761262. RESULTS has a goal of expanding into new Congressional districts, and in 2014 a team of RESULTS volunteer Regional Coordinators have a goal of starting 20 new global groups and 10 new U.S. poverty groups from our existing network. Learn how you can help us reach these goals.
September 26, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
October 1. Training on bird-dogging. Watch this space for more information!
October 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
October 11, 2 PM ET. The international conference call/webinar/outreach event on Gavi is being postponed, but we'll keep you informed. In the meantime, mark your calendars for the traditional 2nd Saturday national grassroots conference call. Dial (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before the hour to join, and remember that we post audio files of our calls, as well as the companion PowerPoint presentations, on our conference call recording webpage.
October 20, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (605) 475-6777, passcode 7378587. Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.