Global Weekly Update October 7, 2013
National Grassroots Conference Call This Saturday on Global Fund! Plus, Great Support Resources for our Global Fund Media Push.
The October 12 National Conference Call. Global Fund replenishment will be the theme of our call. We will welcome special guest, RESULTS ally Carol Nyirenda, Executive Director of CITAM+ of Zambia. Dial (888) 409-6709 at 2 pm ET on October 12 to join, and invite others to join as well using this customizable flyer!
Generating Media on the Global Fund: Our top action for October will be to generate media on the Global Fund replenishment conference. The October Action Sheet (in Word) focuses on getting a letter to the editor placed. And a full editorial packet on the Global Fund is here! (News that the U.S. is the host country for the Dec. 3 replenishment conference will be a good hook for editors!)
Want to Hold an Education and Action Meeting in Your Community? Adapt our "meeting in a box" sample agenda and build your own powerful E&A meeting in support of the Global Fund, a meeting that will also showcase RESULTS in your town!
Did You Miss the October 3 Call Which Provided a Global Fund Update? Don't worry; it was recorded! You can access a recording of the call, plus the companion Powerpoint, on our blog.
Congratulations! You Got Published! Now What?
Obtain a hard copy if one is available, for your use and for your files. Then find the online version and send a copy to Blair Hinderliter, Lisa Marchal, Ken Patterson, and the listserv. If you can't find an online version, a scanned or hard copy will do. The office mailing address is 1101 15th St., NW, Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20005.
Next, leverage your media work! Get others to comment on your piece online or respond with letters of their own. Share what you've written on Facebook and other social media. Send a copy of the media to your representative and both senators. Include a note with the media highlighting why it's important to our issues and what you would like them to do.
It's powerful to present your year's media file to your legislators once a year or at the International Conference and at outreach meetings. We do the same in the DC office by sending key media compilations to the Administration, key members of Congress, partners organizations, and more.
Fall Fundraising Gets Creative
Give Thanks with a Virtual Thanksgiving Feast. For the month of November, we will create a webpage for a "Virtual Thanksgiving Feast." You can invite your friends to donate online in to help those who suffer from hunger during this time of feasting and plenty. You can hold an actual feast with your friends or just treat it as an online way for people to engage with us. Listen into this Saturday's conference call or check the weekly updates for more info in the coming weeks.
RESULTS Fundraising in the "Middle-Earth News"? New RESULTS donor Lily Milos runs a blog for fans of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. When she saw our LOTR Virtual Villains Challenge, a virtual walk/run to benefit RESULTS Educational Fund, on Twitter she convinced her friends to complete a run/walk together to earn one of our Tolkien-inspired medals. She even wrote a feature article for the Middle-Earth News about it and tweeted it to their 26,000 followers. To join them, register here before October 31 to earn a real, shiny medals for completing a 5K, 10K, or 13.1 mile challenge on your own…anytime and anywhere! Questions? Contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate.
Sharing the RESULTS Story
We Get Results, celebrating Reclaiming Our Democracy. Tune in to RESULTS advocate Mary Albertson's monthly radio show at 1 pm ET on October 22 by going to www.bodymindspiritradio.com. She'll be featuring RESULTS founder Sam Daley-Harris who'll be discussing the 20th Anniversary re-release of his book Reclaiming our Democracy, chatting about his book tour, and challenging listeners with ways they can take action alongside RESULTS. (Whet your appetite by reading the special feature on Sam in UNICEF's Field Notes blog as well as his comments in the Austin American-Statesman.)
RESULTS Blanketing the Nation. What would it mean to have a RESULTS group in every state and 2/3 of all Congressional districts? How much more impact would we have on changing public policy if we had that kind of reach? Dream with us by watching this inspiring video by our own Frank Gilbert, Regional Coordinator.
We can reach our goals of ending poverty, boosting shared prosperity, and sharing that prosperity with future generations — but only if we work together with an altogether different sense of urgency . . . Just six months ago, the board of governors for the World Bank Group laid a foundation for a social movement by endorsing our two goals and declaring that we can end extreme poverty by 2030. Now we are seeing interest from all corners. Political leaders, including President Obama and UK Prime Minister David Cameron, are calling for an end to poverty. Faith-based groups such as World Vision are calling for an end to poverty. The ONE campaign, Oxfam, Save the Children, RESULTS, and many other civil society groups are calling for an end to poverty.
1. October 9, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
2. October 12, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Theme: Generating Global Fund Media for the Replenishment. Special guest: Carol Nyirenda, Executive Director of CITAM+ of Zambia. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
3. October 15, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going. The Cameron Duncan Media Award is given to a deserving journalist at the annual International Conference, and we want to create professional media champions worthy of this award! Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
4. October 16. World Food Day. Contact Carly Pildis, Outreach and Advocacy Associate, if you want to plan an event for friends, colleagues, your chapter, or local school.
5. October 21, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
6. October 25, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
7. October 28, 8 pm ET. Building Bipartisan Champions Cohort Call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join. This cohort meets every other month to brainstorm ways to move the needle on our issues in more challenging Congressional contexts.