Global Weekly Update October 29, 2012
Get Ready for World AIDS Day!
1. Built around the theme of World AIDS Day (December 1), our November 10 national grassroots conference call is a great occasion to gather with your group. Meet. Be inspired. Make plans. Join us! Dial (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before the 2 pm ET start time to join activists from all over the country!
2. In the meantime, check out our growing World AIDS Day 2012 outreach resource page. Use the materials to build a great year-end outreach event for your group!
3. Consider hosting a screening of the documentary How to Survive a Plague.
This film is a powerful look at the genesis of AIDS activism at the start of the pandemic. While the content is raw and depicts methods of action different than what we do at RESULTS, it is a snapshot of what was actually going on at the time when AIDS activism was really being born. It shows us the passion that is inherent when everyday people want to engage and lives are on the line.
Let us know if your group would like to participate in this outreach opportunity by providing the following information to Allyson Goldsmith.
- Date, time, location of your event(s)
- An estimate of the number of people you’ll be gathering for the screening
- Contact person responsible for receiving and returning the DVD (and the address to which we’ll be mailing the DVD)
- Short description of the event(s)
- We have a special licensing agreement, so please only request the DVDs if you are organizing a real outreach event and inviting people to join you.
- You cannot charge to see the movie as this would violate our licensing agreement.
- The DVDs must be returned to us in a timely fashion.
- Let us know if you would like a movie no later than November 14.
We’ll provide you with the following:
- A DVD and return envelope
- A sample meeting outline and discussion guide
- An action you can ask people to take
- Guidance on how to make the most of your outreach event
We may even have a person featured in the film as a guest on our November national grassroots conference call! Stay tuned.
Education for All Act: There is Still Time to Gain Cosponsors!
As another piece of our comprehensive advocacy work to advance support for global basic education, we’re going for 100 cosponsors on the Education for All Act of 2011. Have you asked your representative to stand up for access to an education for every young child? If now, there is still time to check out our action sheet, companion laser talk, and shareable online action for October. These tools can all assist you in crafting your own letter to your member of the House asking him/her to cosponsor the Education for All Act of 2011.
Help us get to 100 cosponsors! We can do it, and high cosponsorship will give us momentum for new legislation during the next congressional session. The time for action on education for all is now.
News from Around the RESULTS Universe
Childhood Vaccines Work. Cindy Changyit Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, has returned from her incredible trip to Uganda to see the difference vaccines are making in the life of children. Read the details of how she got to go on this trip, who traveled with her, what she saw, and how she was changed.
Standing Up for Grameen Bank. The Avaaz.org petition calling on Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to stop the government takeover of Grameen Bank is getting close to having the 750,000 signatures it’s seeking. Have you signed? It is especially meaningful to get behind this effort in light of the recent announcement that Dr. Muhammad Yunus, Grameen’s founder, will join us at the 2013 RESULTS International Conference!
RESULTS is Growing. Can You Help?
Do you know anyone interested in upcoming group starts in Alabama, Tennessee, or Virginia?
- November 1: RESULTS Birmingham Global Poverty Group Start, 6-8 pm CT. To be held at the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, 520 16th St. North. Contact Katy Windschill for more information.
- November 8: RESULTS Nashville Global Poverty Group Start, 6:30-8:30 pm CT. To be held at Belmont United Methodist Church, Room 124 (2007 Acklen Ave.). Contact Lisa Marchal for more information.
- November 28: RESULTS Richmond (VA) Global Poverty Group Start, 6:30-8 pm ET. To be held at Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market, Community Room (4 North Thompson St.). Contact Nick Arena for more information.
RESULTS offers condolences to all those who lost loved ones and prized possessions because of Hurricane Sandy. We hope for a safe recovery and a quick return to normalcy for all those impacted by the storm. You are in our thoughts.
“The key to ending extreme poverty is to enable the poorest of the poor to get their foot on the ladder of development. The ladder of development hovers overhead, and the poorest of the poor are stuck beneath it. They lack the minimum amount of capital necessary to get a foothold, and therefore need a boost up to the first rung.”
– Dr. Jeffrey Sachs
1. November 1, RESULTS Birmingham Global Poverty Group Start, 6-8 pm CT. Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, 520 16th St. North. Contact Katy Windschill, Global Grassroots Expansion Agent, for more information.
2. November 8, RESULTS Nashville Global Poverty Group Start, 6:30-8:30 pm CT. Belmont United Methodist Church, Rm. 124, 2007 Acklen Ave. Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Associate, for more information.
3. November 10, 2 pm ET: RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
4. November 14, 9 pm ET: RESULTS Introductory Call. Please RSVP for the call so we can welcome you. Dial in number: (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
5. November 19, 8 pm ET: RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal for more information on this monthly group call.
6. November 28 and December 12, 9 pm ET. Final New Activist Orientation for 2012. This orientation is ideal for those who are activists with us but who are still relatively new and would like more information on RESULTS’ history and methods. Contact Lisa Marchal to RSVP and dial in to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
7. November 28, RESULTS Richmond (VA) Global Poverty Group Start, 6:30-8 pm ET. Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market, Community Room (4 North Thompson St.). Contact Nick Arena for more information.
8. November 30, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Please RSVP for the call so we can welcome you. Dial in number: (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
9. House and Senate on recess until after the election.
10. July 20-23, 2013 – RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Dr. Muhammad Yunus and author/speaker Marianne Williamson are already set to join us. Mark your calendar now!