Global Weekly Update October 24, 2011
Time-Sensitive Action: Call Your Rep. About the Education Sign-On Letter — Deadline Extended Through Wednesday, October 26!
Please call the foreign policy aide for your representative ASAP and ask that he or she sign on to the Schakowsky sign-on letter to Secretary of State Clinton. The letter asks the Obama administration to make a three-year pledge of $375 million to the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) at the upcoming replenishment conference in November. The last day they can sign on is this Wednesday, October 26. Stay in action on it it until you get a yes or no answer!
Thanks to your persistent work, we now have at least 29 supporters on this critical letter. Great work! More will sign if we just ask them to.
Current signers: Schakowsky (D-IL), Moran (D-VA), Christensen (D-VI), Woolsey (D-CA), Lujan (D-NM), Napolitano (D-CA), Lofgren (D-CA), Farr (D-CA), Holt (D-NJ), Jackson-Lee (D-TX), Polis (D-CO), Conyers (D-MI), Green (D-TX), Van Hollen (D-MD), Kildee (D-MI), Price (D-NC), Gonzalez (D-TX), McDermott (D-WA), T. Ryan (D-OH), Andrews (D-NJ), Lee (D-CA), Speier (D-CA), McNerney (D-CA), Honda (D-CA), Eshoo (D-CA), Rothman (D-NJ), Davis (D-CA), Hastings (D-FL), Rush (D-IL)
If your Rep. is already a signer, thank him/her and ask if they can influence one other House member to sign as well. If your congressperson hasn’t yet signed, here are some useful resources to help you with this request:
- A laser talk for making the request and the phone number for the Capitol Hill switchboard: (202) 224-3121.
- A copy of the sign-on letter to Secretary of State Clinton and/or the media we’ve generate our investment in GPP. You can send it to the aide before or after the call.
- A fact sheet on global education that explains why education is so critical.
Your efforts are critical to getting the administration to make this needed investment. Please take a couple of minutes to do this today or tomorrow.
Tell the World . . . We See the End of AIDS?
Very few people know of recent research demonstrating that early treatment of HIV can reduce transmission rates by up to 96%, or that if we scale up treatment now that we can ultimately reduce the cost of the AIDS pandemic, or that we could save a million lives by 2015 if we doa better job of addressing TB and HIV together. Check out our short fact sheet on The Beginning of the End of AIDS. It’s exciting!
But the end of AIDS won’t happen unless we all focus and invest the resources needed. That’s why we want to take the message of the possibility to end AIDS into World AIDS Day, December 1, 2011, and into the RESULTS International Conference, July 21–24, 2012. We must ensure that decison makers maintain focus and commitment.
You can start by getting the message out to your community this World AIDS Day. We even have financial resources to help you out.
- Apply for a World AIDS Day Mini-grant. The deadline for applications is October 31! RESULTS Educational Fund offers grassroots groups the opportunity to apply for funding through a grant application process. These grants are awarded for community advocacy activities such as outreach events, film screenings, and media plans that promote TB and TB-HIV advocacy. The grants range up to $5,000 and must be administered by a current RESULTS partner, but can also benefit local partner organizations. To receive funding by December 1, you should apply early. Apply now!
- Plan an outreach event to build HIV/AIDS awareness in your community with local AIDS groups. Use this World AIDS Day resource page and fact sheet to help you plan.
- Consider engaging one of the 59 members of Congress on the AIDS Caucus in your event, or one of the guest speaker we can send to your town. Contact Lisa Marchal for a list or check out the biographies of the speaker group on our World AIDS Day resource page.
- Have World AIDS Day be your kick-off to the RESULTS International Conference July 21–24, 2012. Next year the RESULTS IC will overlap with the International AIDS Conference in Washington, DC, and this presents some amazing opportunities for activism. Read RESULTS/REF Executive Director Joanne Carter’s remarks on why this moment matters. Work with your local AIDS activists and invite everyone to DC in 2012. It’s gonna be big!
Got Hot Leads?
We need your help to get groups started in Mississippi, Louisiana, Idaho, Montana. If we had chapters in these states we could cover an additional 8 senators! But it takes good leads to get groups started, and the best leads are personal ones. If we can tell someone in Idaho that you told us to call them, they are much more likely to talk to us and trust us. Please contact Ken Patterson if you have leads for new activists in any of these 4 states.
You can also send potential new activists to our 30-minute Introduction to RESULTS conference calls. We provide a great overview to RESULTS and inspire them to get involved. Upcoming calls are:
Tonight, Monday October 24 at 9 pm ET. Call in to (712) 432-3100, passcode: 761262
November 7 & November 30 at 9 pm ET. Call in to (712) 432-3100, passcode: 761262
RSVP for all Introductory calls here.
Fundraising as Outreach? Yes!
Have you ever considered a fundraiser as an “outreach event”? Some groups find that putting on a quality, enjoyable event is a great way to put RESULTS’ best foot forward in your community and build a local network of support. Whether you have a big name to draw attendees (like a member of Congress) or simply a fun idea (like a holiday party or wine tasting), a fundraiser can be a chance turn donors into action takers and vice versa. A fundraiser is sometimes a foot-in-the-door to draw people who have been impressed by what you do but who are too intimidated to come to an actual outreach event. Whether people write to Congress or donate $50, they will still be vital members of our RESULTS family and part of your local network!
Also check our fundraiser schedule in the sidebar to the right to see if you can invite friends or colleagues to join us.
Contact Cindy Changyit Levin at [email protected] for support in holding a RESULTS fundraising event.
If AIDS is defeated, it will be thanks to an alliance of science, activism and altruism.
— “The End of AIDS?” in The Economist, June 2, 2011
October 24: RESULTS Introductory Call. Register today!
October 28: RESULTS Houston Fundraiser. Contact Cindy Levin for more information.
November 2 and November 16: Two-session RESULTS New Activist Orientation, 9 pm ET. (712) 432-3100, passcode 7612622
November 4: RESULTS Santa Fe Fundraiser. Contact Lydia Pendley at[email protected] for details.
November 7: RESULTS Introductory Call. Register today!
November 12: Global Conference Call. 2:00 pm ET. (888) 409-6709. Theme: The End of AIDS!
November 30: RESULTS Introductory Call. Register today!
December 4: Bremerton, WA, Fundraiser. Contact Beth Wilson.
July 21–24, 2012: RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC
RESULTS has moved! Our new address, effective October 4 is:
RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund, 1730 Rhode Island Ave, NW, 4th Floor, Washington DC 20036
No change to phone numbers; new fax number to be updated soon. Thanks for your patience as we complete our transition.