Global Weekly Update October 13, 2014
Talk To Your Legislators About Supporting Gavi!
1. October Action Sheet. Our October action sheet, which is also posted on our website, is designed to help you ask your representatives and senators to write the Obama administration directly about supporting Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, which is saving lives around the world through their critical work of providing vaccines for easily preventable, poverty-related childhood killers. We also have a laser talk to help you make the request and a draft letter your legislator can use. Reach out to your members of Congress, particularly in a face-to-face or town hall meeting. Ask them to be part of a chorus of voices across Congress are asking for a pledge to Gavi of $1 billion over four years at the January 2015 replenishment conference.
Note: Targeted Action Just For House Democratic Leaders. Democratic House leadership has crafted a special letter to President Obama to make the $1 billion request. Many of you have representatives who are specifically on a target list, due to their leadership in the House, who we want to have sign this letter. If that's the case, check with your group leader, as Legislative Director John Fawcett has specifically contacted your group with instructions and help. Then take this action. If you did not receive a note from John, however, please use the October action sheet to ask your representatives and senators to write the Obama administration on their own!
2. House Resolution 688. While Congress won't officially add new cosponsors to any legislation until they reconvene, you can make cosponsorship requests during the recess! Keep information about the resolution, including the current cosponsor list, on hand. Also keep on hand a copy of the Dear Colleague letter that helps introduce the resolution and indicates who the House member should contact to cosponsor. Need even more help? Here's a laser talk to help you make the request!
International Webinar and Outreach Help
1. November 8 International Webinar. Instead having of our typical monthly national grassroots call in November, we will instead have the excitement of welcoming many advocates from our international affiliates to a webinar-style event. Mark your calendars for Saturday, November 8, at the special time of 11:30 am ET. Our guest will be Geoff Adlide, Director of Advocacy and Public Policy at Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. More information is forthcoming!
2. Outreach Resources Application. Been thinking about a creative Gavi-related outreach meeting for the fall, but needed a tiny budget to help? Stay tuned for information that can help!
Media Support? You Bet!
The terrible Ebola scourge is dominating the headlines, and one of the stories being brought to light is thee need for strong health systems and health solutions. We know one proven health solution: vaccine delivery for preventable disease that jeopardizes the lives of children and the strengthened health systems that come with such delivery capability. You can use elements of our media toolkit to catch the attention of editors who are already talking about this topic and are searching for fresh angles. Speak up at this important time!
- Editorial packet
- Sample pitches to your editor
- Laser talk to help you follow up on your pitch a week later
Debunking the Top 5 Reasons Not to Fundraise
Did you read this great message from our new board member and former fundraising coach, Cindy Changyit Levin? It’s a reminder of the power of fundraising as we enter this season of giving.
“Fundraising for RESULTS is one of the best ways to share our mission and passion with your community. Yes, it brings in money to sustain RESULTS, but it’s also a very effective way to grow support for your local group. Most partners agree that grassroots fundraising is a critical part of growing our organization to hasten us to the end of poverty, but many of our groups and free agents are not yet involved with fundraising activities. If you haven’t yet taken the step to get involved with an event or an online campaign . . . ”
"Vaccines are the tools of today and tomorrow that can potentially impact on the lives of millions
in a way that we have not been able to do with traditional medical interventions."
-Professor Zulfiqar Bhutta, Aga Khan University
October 14, 8 pm ET. Training Call: Clearing the First Hurdle with Community Grasstops – Connecting Global-Local Poverty Efforts. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. Are you postponing a call to a potential grasstops champion because you are unsure how the two of you can work together? Join this 30-minute call to help identify how to take meaningful actions with your grasstops champions.
October 15, 11 am ET. Encore Training Call: Finding and Connecting with the Grasstops. Dial in to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. This is a repeat of a call that took place earlier in the year! If you are new to RESULTS or just having a hard time finding or getting your grasstops champions (community influencers) to be in action with your group, this 30-minute call is for you! Join us as we learn how to discover grasstops champions; connect our global campaigns with local concerns; make your first introduction(s) successful; and utilize both active listening and good follow-up tactics.
October 20, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (605) 475-6777, passcode 7378587. Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
October 22, 7 pm ET and 8 pm PT. Grasstops Celebration Party. Dial in to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. Everyone is invited to the party! Join us as we share little or grand grasstops successes! This is a great time to be inspired by the work of RESULTS activists from across the country as we all reach out to our grasstops champions. As at every party, there will be opportunities for you to network and discover new grasstops groups to reach out to in your community. Come as you are and leave inspired. (Bring your own snacks and beverages!)
October 31, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
November 8, 11:30 am ET. Special International Webinar (note time). In lieu of our normal monthly national grassroots conference call, we'll join with advocates worldwide for a enlightening webinar related to our Gavi campaign. We'll welcome Geoff Adlide, Director of Advocacy and Public Policy at Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. More information soon.
November 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.