Global Weekly Update: Oct. 7, 2019: Big Guest!
Quote of the Week
“Let’s be honest, we’re leaving you with a long to-do list – fighting injustice, promoting equality, protecting the planet. But, we promise you this: Over the next 11 years, we are going to do everything we can to remove one thing from that list. Actually we’ll remove three things: AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria.“
~ A Promise to 7-Year Olds Everywhere
Saturday Oct. 12: Global Fund Executive Director, Peter Sands
This Saturday at 2 pm ET, join us for the RESULTS Global Webinar. Our special guest is Peter Sands, the Executive Director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria. He’ll give us a recap of the October 10 Global Fund replenishment conference–who better to have as a guest? Join us–let’s see how we did and what is ahead. To join the webinar: https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
Keep Pushing on the Global Fund Resolutions
You’ve done outstanding work helping gather 126 cosponsors for H.Res. 517 and 11 for S.Res. 318 in support of the Global Fund, all in a very short amount of time. Your work on the resolutions, appropriations, and the media will be well represented to the world at the October 10 replenishment conference by a congressional delegation of at least four House appropriators: Rep. Martha Roby (R-AL), Will Hurd (R-TX), Pete Aguilar (D-CA), and Brenda Lawrence (D-MI).
TAKE ACTION: Even with Congress in recess, there may be a moment to add representatives to H.Res. 517 before the October 10 replenishment. Make your call today! Even if they don’t get on before the replenishment, your representative’s and senators’ support will be critical to protecting the Global Fund, and all of the other funding we advocate for, during the appropriations process next year.
Generating Global Fund Media in All 50 States
You have generated over 219 pieces of Global Fund media in 36 states so far! Media in all 50 states will put positive pressure on Congress to lead on the Global Fund and to continue to protect and strengthen effective development assistance programs in the future. Here are the states where we still need media and some actions you can take. States missing: AR, DE, GA, HI, KY, LA, MD, MS, NH, OK, RI, VA, VT, WI.
- Type into Google, “Newspapers in Louisiana”, for example, and get a list of outlets. Scan papers from those states online, find a hook, write, and submit. You are likely to find articles on measles, TB in deer, and the partisan divide–all great hooks for your Global Fund letter to the editor.
- If you know someone from one of the states above, ask them to use our online action to submit a LTE. All they have to do is edit the sample letter, put in their address, and the letter will automatically go to papers nearby. Very easy!
Want to Grow?
New Volunteer Advocacy Training Opportunity. There are so many “wow” moments in RESULTS—making a call for the first time, getting published, meeting with staff and members of Congress, speaking to a group, getting a response from an office, learning new skills and information through training. Who on your mailing list, in your action network, or in your personal network is ready to experience “wow”? Can your group think of 1, 2, 3, or 4 people you can offer “wow” to? If you can, you can probably grow your group. Here’s a special “wow” offer—let your 1-4 people know that RESULTS will train them to become the change-makers they want to become—for free! They can do this as part of your group, but also through our training series starting on October 17. Check it out here, and offer “wow”.
Plan for Growth. Growing RESULTS groups doesn’t always have to be about organizing outreach events. Why not identify the potential in people we already know, and support them in taking transformational action that inspire them and change the world? This idea is the focus of the new Sept.-Dec. planning document. This short form will help focus and guide you for enrolling and engaging others in advocacy. Click to fill out the form today. Your Regional Coordinators will also be supporting your group in this during the coming months.
- In Congress, the end of the fiscal year always stirs up a flurry of actions to ensure the government stays funded and that at least stop-gap spending bills are passed to avert the worst case – a government shutdown. Click onto our blog to get an update on what we know.
- There were two excellent briefings for congressional staff on October 3, one on TB, the other on maternal and child health. Both were well attended. We’ll let groups know if staff from their representative’s office attended.
- Why I Advocate for the Global Fund. Read this personal story about one of our advocates and why she advocates for the Global Fund.
Congress is on recess this week.
Save the Date! The next RESULTS International Conference (celebrating our 40th birthday) will be June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. October 12, 2 pm ET. Executive Director of the Global Fund, Peter Sands is our guest! To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
Global Free Agents Webinars. October 21, 1 or 8 pm ET. Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. If these times don’t work for you, contact Ken Patterson for support.
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions:Please Update Through September!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.