Global Weekly Update: November 3, 2014
Top Action: Gather this Saturday (11/8) for the International Gavi Webinar at 11:30 am EST!
Make plans to come together on Saturday at 11:30 am EST for the International Gavi Webinar. You'll hear from Geoff Adlide, Director of Advocacy and Public Policy at Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. He'll let us know where things are on the replenishment and fill us in on new Gavi developments. Come with questions. You'll also hear from RESULTS UK and Canada on their Gavi plans–we are not doing this alone! This will be an inspiring webinar–bring guests!
Connecting on Saturday, November 8
- Connect via the internet to see the speakers: http://fuze.me/26310650. Please test a few days before the webinar. You can join via your web browser or enhance the experience by downloading and installing the Fuze application.
- Audio: There are three ways to connect to audio:
- Start the audio on your computer when you join the webinar,
- Dial the toll number (201) 479-4595 and enter meeting number 26310650#, or
- Dial toll-free number (885) 346-3893 and enter the meeting number 26310650#.
Live Test of the Technology Beforehand
If you want to do a live test of the technology, join me at 12 pm EST on Friday November 7. Log in and/or dial in using the information above and Ken Patterson be there to check in with you.
Timing is Perfect: Ask Your Reps & Senators, and Media to Act on Gavi
Elections are over. Candidates are done campaigning and the media is just about done opining on the race. Everyone is in need of real work. This is a great time for us to step up action on the Gavi resolutions and letters, and on the media. Here's what you can do–pick one (or two):
- Ask your representative to cosponsor House Resolution 688 on Gavi and child vaccines.
- Use our Gavi Laser Talk to call your representative's or senators' offices, ask for the foreign policy aide, and request that they write to the Presdident on Gavi.
- Watch a short video from the bottom of our Gavi Resource page to inspire & educate yourself, then write a letter to the editor using our online tool highlighting the need to invest in child vaccinations and healthcare system strengthening. Name your representative and senators in your letter and call on them to act. If you want ideas, draw from media other volunteers have alread generated.
- Ask the editor of your local newspaper to write something on Gavi. Let him/her know that one of the best way to protect ourselves from diseases like Ebola is to help poor nations strengthen their healthcare systems, which Gavi does. Send them this great, short background document. Learn more about working with editors here.
When We Aren't Doing Gavi 24/7…
Gavi has been our focus in recent months, but here are some important developments that you will want to know about:
New Global TB Report and TB Developments
Check out this RESULTS blog post, which highlights the latest global TB data (worse than we thought) and global collaboration efforts underway to end TB (better than we knew).
Release of RESULTS 2013 Annual Report
The 2013 RESULTS Annual Report is out and it's beautiful. Check it out.
Create a Virtual Thanksgiving Feast
We have much to be thankful for: food, healthcare, economic opportunity, education. Our work in RESULTS is to help more people access to things that help us thrive. Get others to support you in that work on Thanksgiving. It's easy create your own Virtual Thanksgivig Feast online to help us with 2014 fundraising goals–we have great resources available to help your online campaign be a success! If you need help setting up a page, or plan to participate, email Jen DeFranco so she can help you get started. To set up your page today simply use this link.
"But even as we scramble to respond to Ebola, much of the world lives out of reach of lifesaving vaccines developed years ago. We lose well over a million children every year to vaccine-preventable diseases. Tackling Ebola and building a healthier future depends not just on science and medicine, but on making sure those things reach the people who need them most."
Saturday November 8, 11:30 am ET. Special International Webinar (note time). In lieu of our normal monthly national grassroots conference call, we'll join with advocates worldwide for a enlightening webinar related to our Gavi campaign. We'll welcome Geoff Adlide, Director of Advocacy and Public Policy at Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. Find information on how to connect in this Weekly Update.
Wednesday November 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
Friday November 14, 11 am EST. Building and Maintaining Your Action Network. Have folks stopped in one of your RESULTS meetings and you're not sure how to engage them? Did you host a table at a RESULTS-related event and now you have a sign-in sheet full of names? Are you an Action Network Manager in your group? Time spent cultivating folks who have shown interest in RESULTS and your group is time invested well. On this 30-minute call, get some quick tips on how to engage these visitors to become more deeply enrolled in the work of RESULTS! Call (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
November 17, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (605) 475-6777, passcode 7378587. Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.