Global Weekly Update November 19, 2012
Top Action for This Week: Reach Out to Your Member of Congress!
I will have a new legislator in 2013. What now?
Many of our advocates are facing a changing of the guard when 113th Congress takes it seats in January. How does one start getting to know a these new representatives and senators and prepare for future advocacy work with their offices?
1. If you are hosting a World AIDS Day event in your town, invite your new (or existing) representative and senators (and even your local health writers, while you’re at it)!
2. Begin your research by using the online tool available on RESULTS’ website to research the background and overall voting record of your legislators.
3. Check out the 112th Congressional Scorecard on our Global Poverty Actions and News page. This scorecard is updated with information on how your legislators voted on our issues and if they participated in important sign-on letters.
4. Look at the US Global Leadership Coalition’s 2012 Election Analysis for even more in-depth discussion of what might play out with Congress, both in terms of individual members and Congress as a whole.
World AIDS Day Outreach . . . Make December 1 a Powerful Day!
Almost 40 RESULTS groups/individuals are planning to screen the important documentary How to Survive a Plague, a raw look into the genesis of AIDS activism in America. We are thrilled that so many RESULTS folks are engaging in this powerful outreach to their communities. If you or your group are holding a screening, you’ll find many resources on our World AIDS Day Outreach Resources page. You’ll discover a sample meeting agenda and discussion guide, links to informational pieces you can print and share, top tips for hosting powerful outreach events, an action that attendees can take, and more.
If you are not holding a documentary screening, you and your group can still take a powerful action for World AIDS Day using our most recent World AIDS Day action sheet or our online action. Make your voice heard in support of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria and ask others to join you. Together, we can stand for the end of AIDS.
Giving Tuesday and California Fundraising Success
You’ve heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. What about Giving Tuesday? On Tuesday November 27, charities, families, businesses and individuals are coming together to transform the way people think about, talk about, and participate in the giving season. Check the RESULTS Facebook page and @RESULTS_tweets on Monday and Tuesday of next week; we’ll be sending out social media messages to share and retweet about how our supporters can donate to RESULTS on this major day of giving. In the meantime, post on our Facebook or Tweet us why you’re thankful or hopeful in the fight against poverty and we might share it!
Also, a huge thank you to our California RESULTS partners from Inland Empire who hosted an event on November 9. Over 40 people attended a very inspiring and fun post-election event with Meredith Dodson, Director of Domestic Poverty Campaigns, speaking about how we move forward after campaign season. They raised $1,400 and inspired monthly donors, too.
Shot@Life Champions Wanted and Year-End Wrap Up Work Begins
1. Shot@Life, an organization that is a friend of RESULTS and is dedicated to championing the decrease of vaccine-preventable childhood deaths, is preparing to train its newest group of champions at the 2013 Champion Summit February 10-12 in Washington, DC. New champions will have the opportunity to learn new skills in media, advocacy, and event planning. We have several RESULTS’ers who are Shot@Lifers; it is a great partnership! To apply, go to www.shotatlife.org/apply. Deadline to apply is December 15.
2. Unbelievably, the close of 2012 will be here in a few short weeks. RESULTS will be taking stock of its 2012 successes and using them to help us strategize for a powerful 2013. Are you and/or your group caught up on your reporting? Log your lobby meetings and other powerful advocacy actions using our easy online forms.
Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Associate.
“Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.” – Aesop
1. November 28 and December 5 (first session repeated on those dates) and December 12 (second session), 9 pm ET. Final New Activist Orientation for 2012. This two-session orientation is ideal for those who are activists with us but who are still relatively new and would like more information on RESULTS’ history and methods. Contact Lisa Marchal to RSVP and dial in to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
2. November 28, RESULTS Richmond (VA) Global Poverty Group Start, 6:30-8 pm ET. Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market, Community Room (4 North Thompson St.). Contact Nick Arena for more information.
3. November 30, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Please RSVP for the call so we can welcome you. Dial in number: (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
4. December 4, Training Call on Year-end Congressional Budget Decisions. More information to follow soon.
5. December 8, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
6. December 17, 8 pm ET: RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal for more information on this monthly group call.
7. January: Individual and Group Planning. More information to follow soon.
8. January 7, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Website Tour. More information to follow soon.
9. January 9, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Please RSVP for the call so we can welcome you. Dial in number: (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
10. July 20-23, 2013 – RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Dr. Muhammad Yunus and author/speaker Marianne Williamson are already set to join us. Mark your calendar now!