Global Weekly Update May 4, 2015
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | May 4, 2015
Join the May National Grassroots Webinar/Call This Saturday
If you need motivation for the continuation of our crucial maternal/child health campaign, want to hear inspiring stories from the field, need great tips, are looking for training opportunities, or just want to hang out with a few of the coolest folks around (the country) for a little bit . . . then this is the place! Saturday, May 9 is the date, and 2 pm ET is the time. (Arrive early, though!)
Register for the call today at https://www.fuzemeeting.com/webinar/register/1068886 and you're ready to go! Or, if you prefer audio only, call in to (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28758054.
Help Us GiveBIG Today, and Watch For a TPP Action Alert
1. The Seattle Foundation’s GiveBIG is back on May 5. All donations made to RESULTS from 12:01 am PT through 11:59 pm PT on May 5 via the GiveBIG website, will earn us a percentage offered by the Seattle Foundation. But here's where the GET gets bigger! In addition to the percentage we gain directly from participating in GiveBIG, we have been chosen for a special challenge grant! The Seattle International Foundation will give us an amazing additional $5000 if we are able to raise at least $5000 on the day of the event! We urge you to engage your friends and family to participate with a donation to RESULTS Educational Fund on May 5. Share the link to our donation page widely for the May 5 event so we can GiveBIG before the day comes to a close!
2. Some Advocates Have Asked . . . about our position on the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Watch our website and your inboxes for a related action alert in the next 10 days.
Mother's Day: The Ideal Media Hook for Maternal and Child Health
With attention turning in earnest to Mother's Day, many emotions and images. Women around the world wanting good futures for the children in their lives. The importance of caring for and nurturing the littlest among us. Why not harness that sentiment to make a media splash for our maternal/child health campaign? (We also are continuing to develop tools you can use to have conversations with your members of Congress about maternal/child health in advance of the legislation.)
First Week for May Drawing! In May, anyone getting a letter to the editor, op-ed, or editorial published on the maternal/child health campaign specifically will be entered into a drawing for a transferrable $300 credit toward the cost of the International Conference in July. Just write and report being published through our online form. Then you're entered!
After writing, schedule those face-to-face meetings for the next recess. Prepare to make your maternal/child health request(s) of your members of Congress.
The International Conference: News You Can Use
1. How Do I Register? You can register online for the 2015 International Conference, to be held in DC July 18-21.
2. June 1. That's the golden date by which you should have your IC hotel room booked. Also, that's the date when the late registration rate goes into effect. For all the details, go to our dedicated conference page.
3. The IC Gap Fund for Global Poverty Volunteers. This fund is meant to "bridge the gap," helping with a modest-but-meaningful amount of money and supporting people who wouldn't otherwise be able to come to the International Conference. Click to apply.
4. Need to Find Roommates for the Conference? Want to create a carpool? Seeking other logistics advice? This is the place! Subscribe to the IC Help Share e-list by sending an email to [email protected].
5. REAL Change Fellowship – Deadline Extended! The REAL Change 2015-2016 class is filling fast! This is a fabulous learning opportunity for young emerging leaders ages 18-30. But don't wait around. Check out the qualifications and expectations of a REAL Change Fellow and consider applying.
6. Calling All Everyday Hero Runners & Walkers! Grab your cape and running shoes and plan to join us for our 3rd Annual Everyday Hero Dash 5k/1 Mile Fun Run on Sunday, July 19 at 6:30 pm ET. Can't join us in person? Then why not join us virtually? That's right! You can still join in the Everyday Hero fun and complete your own race, on your own time, and earn your medal while wearing you very own Dash t-shirt. Advance registration for the July 19 event, and virtual race option, are both open and will guarantee you a medal at the event (or mailed to your home, if you are registering virtually). Click to register.
7. Tell Some Tales for our 35th. Submit your favorite RESULTS story to [email protected]!
May 9, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar (Global Campaigns). Register today!
May 11, 12 pm ET. Webinar: Advocacy 101 Training and What to Expect at the International Conference. To join, go to https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/28699630. Or, to join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, passcode 28699630 for audio only. On this webinar, RESULTS staff will overview the basics of how to have a good lobby meeting either at home during Congressional recesses or in DC during the RESULTS International Conference. We'll also touch on what to expect during our conference Lobby Day in DC and resources to help you prepare to make the most of this opportunity! (This training will be repeated on June 2 at 8 pm ET, June 24 at 9 pm ET, and July 9 at 1 pm ET.)
May 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
May 18, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. To join, go to http://fuze.me/27781074 or (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 27781074. Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly gathering.
May 29, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
July 18-21. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Registration is open.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2015 Advocacy
2015 Global Congressional Scorecard (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Background on the New(est) Members of Congress
Quote of the Week
“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.”
– Mother Teresa