Global Weekly Update February 20, 2012
Top Actions for This Week: Funding Global Poverty Programs
1. Got 5 minutes? We have a new online action you can take. Write a quick letter to your legislators about a smart, poverty-fighting appropriations request about which you are particularly passionate, then share the link to the online action with a couple of your friends.
2. Got 15 minutes? Take a look at our handy appropriations request chart, individual fact sheets for each appropriations request, and the February action sheet. Together, these resources will give you what you need to write a letter that you can send through the websites of your members of Congress about powerful FY13 global program funding, or appropriations decisions.
3. Got 20 minutes? Request a face-to-face meeting with your Representative or Senators so that you can make our FY13 appropriations requests in person. For just the right words to say, take a glance at our February laser talk. Want a dose of inspiration before you make that call to the scheduler? Hear the powerful words of Dr. Jeffrey Sachs from January and of health advocate Jigna Rao from a couple Saturdays ago; both have been guests on our national grassroots conference calls this year.
Friends & Family Fundraising Campaign Lifts Off!
February 21 marks the official launch of our Friends & Family fundraising campaign! From now until March 31, we encourage you to reach out to everyone in your circle, from our parents to our drycleaners to help us reach a goal of $30,000! Whether you are sending letters through the mail or using the online fundraising webpage, we encourage you to start today and give yourself lots of time to make personal follow-up calls. Help and tips can be found at online.
Even if you don’t feel comfortable making your own webpage, you can still direct your friends to go online to make a donation to another team or partner. This is your chance to tell everyone how important RESULTS and ending poverty is in your life! Thank you for all your participation. The success of this campaign will be all because of you!
News You Can Use About Our Tuberculosis and Global Fund Work
You have already been hard at work getting media to influence the conversation around fully funding the Global Fund. We must keep going! Our editorial packet and our letter to the editor online action will help you take that next step. Why not send the packet to your local newspaper today or write that letter to the editor you’ve been putting off? Our media is being heard by the Administration. It will make a difference.
Also, time is running out! Finish your 2012 World TB Day mini-grant application. These powerful mini-grants can be used to help build community partnerships, strengthen media relationships, and educate your members of Congress on the issue of TB. Check out the details online and remember that the deadline to submit your application is 6pm ET on February 27th.
The 2012 RESULTS International Conference: Read What’s New as We Prepare for You!
RESULTS activists from around the globe will gather together for the RESULTS International Conference 2012 in Washington, D.C. July 21-24, 2012 at the DoubleTree Hotel in Crystal City. The IC offers inspiring, high-level speakers; educational workshops on effective poverty solutions; advocacy skills trainings; and the experience of lobbying on Capitol Hill. All of this happens in an atmosphere of passion, collaboration, support, and fun. Some fun updates:
- Peter Daou has been confirmed as a speaker for a session entitled “Using Social Media to strengthen our activism and increase our numbers”. Named by the New York Times as “one of the most prominent political bloggers in the nation” and by the Washington Post as one of a handful of online experts pioneering “a whole new way of campaigning,” Peter Daou has advised leading organizations, companies and campaigns, including the United Nations Foundation, Clinton Global Initiative, AARP, and Intel, among many others. This session will bring your use of social media to the next level and is not to be missed!
- Remember: Registration is only $150 until April 16. Be sure to register TODAY!
- Also, the individual and team that raise the most money online with our Friends & Family Campaign each win one free IC registration!
Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.
– Jonathan Swift
February 21: Friends & Family Fundraising Campaign begins.
February 27: Second session of two-session New Activist Orientation. 9:00 pm ET. Register today!
March 8: Researching Your Member of Congress training call. (Note: You will want to be in front of a computer with internet access for this call.) 9:00 pm ET. (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
March 10: RESULTS National Conference Call for Global Campaigns. 2:00 pm ET. Dial (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before the call.
March 24: World TB Day
March 31: RESULTS Texas Regional Conference. Contact Anne Child for more information.
March 31: Friends & Family Fundraising Campaign ends.
July 21–24: RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC