Global Weekly Update February 17, 2014
Top Actions: Appropriations Requests & Face-to-Face Meetings
We're trying to follow in the footsteps of the U.S. ice dancers . . . we're going for the gold! How? Appropriations requests and face-to-face meetings, of course!
To help you in this work, we have a new appropriations Action Sheet for February and corresponding backgrounders (scroll to the bottom of the webpage) that offer details on each appropriations request we're making.
Remember that the appropriations process allows us to make a bold statement about the level of funding for our key campaigns (education, economic opportunity, health) we think will make the best difference in the world . . . and to articulate the reasons behind our requests. It's the first big push for our advocacy year, and it is vital. Appropriations is also a great opportunity for you to have face-to-face meetings with your members of Congress. Remember that we have a 2014 goal of meeting with all House members and 1/3 of the Senators we cover as activists. Meet with those who represent you and make the kind of asks that will show them how serious you are about ending poverty!
- Pick the top two requests you would like the member to make to the Foreign Operations Subcommittee of Appropriations.
- Contact your foreign policy aides in DC, for both the Senate and the House, and, using this month's laser talk, ask if there is a form you must fill out to make your request. Also ask what the request deadline is.
- If you can, make your appropriations requests on the phone at that moment. No matter what, follow up with our one-page fact sheet-request pages via e-mail.
- Stay in touch with aide and let him/her know you would like to hear back what action your legislator has taken.
- Don't hesitate to get started and follow up regularly until you get a clear response.
Take a listen to the recording of the national conference call held this month and hear directly from RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter and Legislative Director John Fawcett about the impact your appropriations and face-to-face meetings make for the end of poverty. This isn't busywork; it makes a critical difference, and not many citizens would take the time to get involved at this level. It's a special opportunity.
Global Education: Webinar TONIGHT, Editorial Packet, and an International Call with the Global Partnership for Education CEO, and More!
So many of you were part of an impressive media push in advance of the pledging conference for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Our media helped put the conference on the map and laid groundwork for U.S. leadership. In short, your media helped move the needle. So what is available to help support you?
Tonight's Webinar Details
Join our policy team on February 19 for an important webinar at 9 pm ET. The topic will be the Global Partnership for Education pledging conference in June and how our basic education campaign will impact it. For audio, dial toll number (201) 479-4595 or toll-free number (855) 346-3893. For webinar, log onto https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/22975151. If prompted, enter meeting number 22975151 and then press #.
Editorial Packet with Sample Meeting Request and Activist Milestone Help
We’re officially kicking off our media push around the Global Partnership for Education for this spring, and we have a host of tools ready to help you set up editorial board meetings and generate editorials. Here is our brand new editorial packet that you can use, alongside our top tips on securing a meeting with your editorial board and sample meeting request that you can customize! Get started today! March 8 is International Women's Day, the perfect time for your paper to write about this issue, and your editor(s) will likely be grateful to receive encouragement and solid background information now so they can prepare to write a piece for this important day. Stay tuned for more tools to help support this work throughout the month ahead.
Find a downloadable version of the editorial packet online.
March 8 Conference Call
Mark your calendars for the March 8 International Women's Day national conference call when we'll be joining RESULTS U.K. and RESULTS Canada for an international webinar/video conference with Global Partnership for Education (GPE) CEO Alice Albright! The webinar will be held at the typical 2 pm ET time; login details will be available soon. This particular call/webinar could be an excellent opportunity to introduce someone new to RESULTS, as they'll get a sense of the international scope of our work, the power of our voice, and the insights of the leader of GPE in advance of our media work to support a strong U.S. pledge at this summer's GPE pledging conference! So be sure to note the date and spread the word.
Final Call for 2014 Planning; Earlybird International Conference Registration
1. Just a reminder to turn in your 2014 Individual Plannings Sheets (free agents) and Group Planning Summaries (groups) to your Regional Coordinator ASAP! Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate.
2. International Conference registration is open, and the earlybird rate ends April 6! Register now for the 2014 event of the year, to be held June 21-24 in Washington, DC. Keynote speakers: World Bank President Jim Kim and Children's Defense Fund founder Marian Wright Edelman.
Happy Birthdays are Benefitting RESULTS. Plus, Did You Know YOU Could Help a New RESULTS Group Be Born?
1. Thank you to Willie Dickerson and Teresa Rugg who had the great idea of combining their February birthdays to do a joint birthday celebration fundraiser for RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund. You can wish them "Happy Birthday" and make an online gift in their honor at their RESULTS Birthday website! They are even holding an action-taking, fundraising birthday party this Wednesday. They are halfway to their $500 goal! If you would like to create your own fundraising website for a birthday, wedding, graduation or other life event, please visit the RESULTS Celebrations website or contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, for assistance.
Also, if you have contacts in the St. Louis area, please invite them to the RESULTS St. Louis Celebration of Everyday Heroes on Saturday, March from 7 to 9 pm CT. Visit the event website for details.
2. Join the RESULTS Expansion Team webinar on February 26 at 9 pm ET! As part of our goal to start and 10 new U.S. poverty groups and 20 new global groups from our existing expansion network, we will discuss some of the best practices for starting new RESULTS groups and recruiting new activists. The webinar will focus on how to tell stories about our involvement with RESULTS and practicing how to add a sense of “urgency” based on our current campaigns. To join, go to http://fuze.me/22978863 and/or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting number: 22978863.
Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, it is an act of justice. Like [s]lavery and [a]partheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. YOU can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom.
— Nelson Mandela
(For a complete calendar, see our website.)
1. Next House and Senate Recesses of 2014: This week! Schedule face-to-face meetings.
2. February 19, 9 pm ET. Education for All and GPE (Global Partnership for Education) webinar. Learn about our 2014 campaign to secure a necessary pledge at the GPE replenishment conference in June. For audio, dial toll number (201) 479-4595 or toll-free number (855) 346-3893. For webinar, log onto https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/22975151, meeting number 22975151#.
3. February 26, 9 pm ET. Expanding RESULTS Congressional Coverage. RESULTS has a goal of expanding into new Congressional districts, and in 2014 a team of RESULTS volunteer Regional Coordinators have a goal of starting 20 new global groups from our existing expansion network, and 10 new US poverty groups. Join this webinar to discuss some of the best practices for starting new RESULTS groups and recruiting new activists. To join from your computer or mobile device, copy this link into your browser: http://fuze.me/22978863. To join the audio, call (201) 479-4595 or (855) 346-3893. If prompted, enter the meeting number 22978863, then press #.
4. February 28, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. March 8, 2 pm ET. RESULTS Global Conference Call with International RESULTS Affiliates. Alice Albright, Chief Executive Officer for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) will speak to RESULTS Activists from the U.S., the U.K., Australia, and other Global Partnership for Education campaign partners. Plan on bringing your entire action network and newly interested activists together for this major event.
6. March 12, 9 pm ET. In-depth Education for All and GPE (Global Partnership for Education) webinar to strategize on 2014 campaign efforts to secure funding for the GPE replenishment conference in June.
7. March 17, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
8. March 18, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. NEW DIAL-IN NUMBER. Dial (712) 775-7300, passcode 954747. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
9. March 21, 5 pm ET 21. REAL Change Fellowship Applications Due.