Global Weekly Update December 3, 2012
Former Utah Senator Robert Bennett, our Guest on Saturday’s National Conference Call
Join your friends from all over the country this Saturday, December 8, as we have our final national grassroots conference call for the year. Former Senator Robert Bennett of Utah, member of the RESULTS Educational Fund board, will help us get acquainted with the new Congress and think more strategically about how to establish relationships with our new members.
Robert F. Bennett’s first serious political experience was in 1962 when he managed the successful re-election campaign of his father, Wallace F. Bennett. Thirty years later, in 1992, he followed in his father’s footsteps with a successful campaign for himself, which took him to the Senate for eighteen years. While there, Bob was highly regarded as a pragmatic problem-solver and established himself as a powerful consensus builder among his constituents and colleagues, one of whom praised him as “the smartest man in the Senate.”
Come along to hear from this great guest. We’ll also have an open phones time so folks can celebrate their recent World AIDS Day work. There will be more, of course, so come be part of it as we celebrate a year of achievement! Dial in a few minutes before 2 pm ET on Saturday, December 8. The number to use is (888) 409-6709.
And speaking of dealing with the budget . . . get a head start on this month’s action related to preserving funding for poverty-fighting solutions during year-end budget negotiations. Check out the December action sheet!
You Made A Splash on World AIDS Day!
The reports are coming in, and the word is that you all have been doing a phenomenal job with outreach, media hits, and action-taking for World AIDS Day! Check out all that you did:
1. News on How to Survive a Plague screenings all over the country (with more updates coming at the start of next week).
2. News on fabulous media hits from all over the country.
3. Dr. Joanne Carter’s comments on the ground-breaking blueprint announced by the State Department last week, charting a course for an AIDS-free generation.
P.S. Did you know that we now have new RESULTS groups in Nashville (TN) and Richmond (VA), just in time to participate in the World AIDS Day excitement?
Year-end Reporting and Last Call for Board Nominations
1. Are you and/or your group caught up on your reporting? Unbelievably, the close of 2012 will be here in a few short weeks. RESULTS will be taking stock of its 2012 successes and using them to help us strategize for a powerful 2013. Log your lobby meetings and other powerful advocacy actions using our easy online forms.
Log other advocacy actions (media published, outreach events held, etc.).
Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Associate.
2. RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member nominations due. Grassroots Board Members serve for a term of three years, and represent the volunteer body on the Board of Directors and on the Executive Committee of the Board. It is the responsibility of the Board of Directors to work with the Executive Director in shaping the direction of RESULTS/REF, supporting strong development efforts, and advising the organization with regards to key policy issues.
Nominees for the Grassroots Board position must be a partner in an active RESULTS chapter. You may nominate yourself or another RESULTS volunteer (but please make sure they are interested in serving before putting someone’s name forward.) Nominations must reach the RESULTS office by no later than December 14. We will announce the slate of candidates after the New Year for an election in January. You can e-mail your nomination to Jack McLaughlin, fax it to (202) 466-1397 or mail it to RESULTS at 1730 Rhode Island Ave. NW Suite 400, Washington, DC, 20036.
Final Fundraising Events for 2012 are Finishing Strong
First in the alphabet, our Albuquerque and Austin groups helped us end 2012 with two fantastic events. Albuquerque hosted guests at a bed and breakfast, treating them to Belgian waffles and featuring RESULTS Senior Legislative Associate Allison Grossman, raising $2500. Austin partners raised $10,500 (and counting!) and highlighted both global and domestic poverty with an “Every Child Deserves a 5th Birthday” afternoon dessert reception featuring local author Julie Clawson as well as RESULTS senior associate on US poverty campaigns Jos Linn. Thank you very much! And good luck to RESULTS Olympia as they have their fundraiser on December 5.
But while groups are finishing their final fundraising events, there are still ways to contribute to RESULTS in the last weeks of December! If you’d like your loved ones to consider giving to RESULTS for your holiday gifts, please direct them to our online Annual Appeal webpage. We’ve set this page up for our donors who wish to make end-of-year contributions to fight poverty. And if you’re planning to run a Jingle Bell 5K race or other physical challenge, you can create your own online fundraising page on the RESULTS Race to End Poverty website. Contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, for help with online fundraising questions.
“It is ordinary people who always make extraordinary things [happen] to positively change other people’s lives . . . They are giving us hope and the ability to dream again . . . “
– Linda Mafu, head of Civil Society and Political Advocacy for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
1. POSTPONED. December 4. Training Call on Year-end Congressional Budget Decisions.
2. December 5 (first session) and December 12 (second session), 9 pm ET. Final New Activist Orientation for 2012. This two-session orientation is ideal for those who are activists with us but who are still relatively new and would like more information on RESULTS’ history and methods. Contact Lisa Marchal to RSVP and dial in to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
3. December 8, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
4. CORRECTED DATE – December 10, 8 pm ET: RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal for more information on this monthly group call.
5. December 14, 1 pm ET. Final RESULTS Introductory Call of 2012. Please RSVP for the call so we can welcome you. Dial-in number: (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
6. January: Individual and Group Planning. More information to follow soon.
7. January 7, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Website Tour. More information to follow soon.
8. January 9, 9 pm ET. First RESULTS Introductory Call of 2013. Please RSVP for the call so we can welcome you. Dial-in number: (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
9. July 20-23, 2013 – RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Dr. Muhammad Yunus and author/speaker Marianne Williamson are already set to join us. Mark your calendar now!