Global Weekly Update August 20, 2012
Top Action: Urge Your Rep. to Sign GPE Letter. Letter Closes 8/27!
Where would you be without your education? Certainly not reading this, probably not at your current job, certainly not prospering as you are today. You’d be shut out of much of what is going on in the world. It would be horrible.
So do you think that the US should actively be working to get the 61 million out-of-school children into school? We can do that in two ways: 1) Support USAID’s efforts to get 15 million kids in school by 2015, 2) Support Global Partnership for Education’s (GPE) goal of getting 25 million kids in school by 2014. Even if they do some double counting, this means that we can put more than 25 million kids in school if we support both efforts in the coming years.
And we have the resources! USAID requested $573 million to carry out their education plan in 2013. Both the House and the Senate have put $800 million in there spending bills for 2013. This means that we can accomplish USAID’s goals and also invest $125 million in GPE in 2013. That’s what Rep. Schakowsky is calling for.
Take Action! Ask your Rep. to sign on to Rep. Schakowsky’s sign-on letter to Secretary of State Clinton.
- You can find a laser talk here to make your call. Use the Capitol Switchboard number: (202) 224-3121.
- Find an on-line action alert to send out to others here.
- Find our August Action Sheet on GPE with more information and guidance here.
- Find a current list of signers here.
Education For All Continues in September & October: Join Campaign Call on 8/28
We’ll continue focusing on our Education for All (EFA) efforts in September and October. We’ll be working on media, gathering support for the EFA Act (HR 2705), identifying EFA champions in the Senate to introduce the EFA Act in that chamber, and educating the public. Here are some upcoming ways to learn more about September and October EFA Activities:
- Tuesday August 28 at 9 pm ET: Join a phone conference with our EFA Campaign Manager, Tony Baker, and our Senior Policy Associate, Allison Grossman. You’ll get all the details on our upcoming campaign efforts. Dial: (712) 432-3100, passcode: 887871.
- Saturday September 8 at 2 pm ET: Global National Conference Call. The focus of the call will be on EFA. We are still confirming our guest speaker. Dial: (888) 409-6709.
- Participate in the GPE Reading Changed My Life photo and video contest — consider engaging your community.
Take Action: Sign and Share Microfinance Petition on Grameen
The government of Bangladesh is weakening the world’s flagship microfinance organization, Grameen Bank, and taking away the rights of the women shareholders. Here are some actions you can take:
- Sign the Grameen Bank petition then share with friends via email, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
- Read this excellent op-ed from The Times of Trenton on the Grameen situation, then share it. Ask you ppper to consider reprinting it.
- Check out our blog entry on this issue for more background in and action items.
Great Grassroots Opportunities!
- Join the Social Media Rapid Response Team. There will be an introductory call on 8/29 at 9 pm. RSVP to Laura Ochoa. Dial (866) 503-7713, passcode 4091413579.
- Check out the RESULTS Blog. We update it regularly with new information and stories. Check out this post on the Stop TB Talk Show during the International AIDS Conference.
- Take the International Conference Survey. We really want to make next year’s conference even better. Please give us your feedback.
- Please report your activities. It’s important we know about your advocacy efforts:
- Log lobby meetings here: http://tinyurl.com/2012LobbyReportForm (see what you reported here: http://tinyurl.com/RESULTSLobbyReportData)
- Log other actions here: http://tinyurl.com/2012GlobalBenchmarks (see what you’ve reported here: http://tinyurl.com/2012GlobalBenchmarksData)
The International Conference was a major stepping-stone in terms of my advocacy training, but it is the commitment and resiliency shown by RESULTS on a day-to-day basis that provides me with the skills and conviction I need to do the best I can in fighting for the end of global poverty.
— Luke Record, RESULTS Group Leader at Fairfield University, reflecting on his experience at the RESULTS International Conference
- August 27 at 8 pm ET: Global Free Agents Call. Contact [email protected] (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS)
- August 28 at 9 pm ET: EFA Campaign Overview Call for September and October. All advocates welcome. 712 432-3100, passcode: 761262
- August 29 at 9 pm ET: Social Media Rapid Response Team. Dial (866) 503-7713, Conference code: 4091413579. Please RSVP to Laura Ochoa at [email protected]
- September 8: National Conference Call: Focus on EFA
- September 5 (9 pm ET) and 21 (1 pm ET): Introduction to RESULTS calls: Encourage people ot RSVP for the call. Dial in number: 712 432-3100, passcode: 761262