Global Weekly Update April 29, 2013
Call Today! Invite Your Senators to an Important May 7 Meeting on Ending Poverty
We are at an auspicious moment in history, when the successes of past decades and an increasingly favorable economic outlook combine to give developing countries a chance — for the first time ever — to end extreme poverty within a generation. Our duty now must be to ensure that these favorable circumstances are matched with clarity of purpose and resolute action to realize this historic opportunity
— Dr. Jim Kim, president of the World Bank
This vision of the end of extreme poverty . . . this is what we are working for. Don’t hesitate!
You can invite your senators to a high-level conversation on May 7 with Dr. Kim, hosted by Senators Brown (D-OH) and Isakson (R-GA), about global health, poverty, and truly grasping this chance to end deepest poverty within a generation. Senators’ schedules are famously full, but this is one invitation they might not want to miss. Take this invitation and share it with your senators today, particularly if they work on appropriations or foreign relations. The invitation itself contains information on the location and time of the meeting, as well as how to RSVP. We are living through a time of amazing opportunity for the end of extreme poverty. Inspire your senators to be part of this conversation!
Wednesday Night (May 1)! Final Webinar on New Child Nutrition Campaign
Wednesday, May 1, at 9 pm ET, join the final installment of a set of webinars designed to help you understand the latest angle to our global health work, child nutrition. This piece of our global health campaign hearkens back to our roots in basic child survival advocacy, and it is an an exciting addition. This advocacy strategy webinar will help you gain tools and support RESULTS to move this campaign forward. To join the meeting from your computer or mobile device, copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://fuze.me/19483611. To join the audio portion of this meeting, you can join via the webinar link, or choose your dial in method: dial-in number ((775) 996-3560) or Skype (fuzemeeting). When prompted enter room number 796141 and press the # key.
Watch this space for our May Action Sheet which will empower you to get congressional signatures on a key child nutrition sign-on letter, and read this concise campaign summary to grasp the “what” and “why” of this crucial campaign.
Powerful May National Conference Call on our New Child Nutrition Campaign
Gather with us at 2 pm ET on Saturday, May 11, for a great national conference call with other global poverty advocates. Our guest will be Kul Gautam. Mr. Gautamrsquo;s distinguished career has included serving as deputy executive director of UNICEF from 2000 to 2007, holding the rank of assistant secretary-general of the United Nations. RESULTS advocates from earlier days may be interested to note that Kul was the key senior UNICEF officer responsible for drafting the Declaration and Plan of Action of the 1990 World Summit for Children, the largest gathering of world leaders in history until that time. His expertise will help provide context and inspiration as we embark on our new child nutrition campaign in the run-up to a key high-level meeting on child nutrition on June 8. Read the remarks he gave at our 2010 RESULTS International Conference, gather with others, and join us for the call! Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
More Kudos to Our Advocates!
- Yunus Gold Medal Ceremony. Did you hear Professor Yunus thank RESULTS advocates for their history of advocacy for microfinance? Check out this round-up of the wonderful Gold Medal Ceremony held on April 17. Want to hear Professor Yunus in person? Mark your calendar and register today for the 2013 RESULTS International Conference! You will be blown away by the information, education, perspiration (it is DC in the summer, after all!) and inspiration you'll gain for your investment. Come join us!
- Tremendous Work on Appropriations! Your fast, nimble work on the small window of time we had to get signatures on key House appropriations “Dear Colleague” letters paid off! Read all about it on our blog! You helped get 101 signatures on the Global Fund/PEPFAR letter, 64 signers on the maternal and child health letter, 30 signatures on the bilateral TB letter, and 28 signers on the education letter. Well done! These letters are a tool we regularly use to influence the appropriations process, so your work makes a difference. We are in the process of tallying the signatures on the Senate appropriations letters, as that process closed just a few days ago. Stay tuned to our blog for that update.
- Basic Education Update. The end of April was also a busy time for our work on basic global education, as a series of high-level events took place on Capitol Hill. Take a look at what transpired in the blogpost “Education in the Global Spotlight.” Additionally, a new RESULTS report on global basic education, Is The World Bank Reaching Out-of-School Children?, is hot off the press! RESULTS advocates have been stalwart participants in moving things forward for global basic education, as described in this online piece by Education for All Campaign Manager Tony Baker. Read as he sings your praises for your media work in particular as it helped shore up strong global basic education support.
- Friends & Family Campaign. Congratulations to all of our Friends & Family fundraisers! Thank you so much for your participation. While the campaign officially ends April 30, we want everyone to have a chance to reach their personal fundraising goals. Therefore, through May, the online Friends & Family webpage will remain open for those who still need a bit more time, and everyone is welcome to submit donations by mail. Donations eligible towards the free IC registrations contest must be made online or postmarked by April 30. We’ll announce those winners on the May 11 conference calls. Questions? Contact Cindy Changyit Levin, Grassroots Development Associate.
Backed up by good research and evidence that is presented in a very simple, understandable manner, RESULTS has been a premier advocacy and lobbying organization much respected and admired in the Capitol Hill.
— Kul Gautam at the 2010 RESULTS International Conference
1. April 29–May 3. Congressional Recess.
2. May 1, 9 pm ET. Child nutrition advocacy strategy webinar. See Weekly Update for full dial-in instructions.
3. May 6, 8 pm ET. Building Bipartisan Champions Cohort Call. You can dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join these calls we plan to host every other month. Do you have a member of Congress who seems not to be open to our issues? Feel blocked at every turn? These calls will be designed to help you define the tools you need to plan a way to empower your members of Congress to be a catalyst toward a world where poverty no longer exists.
4. May 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. May 11, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
6. May 20, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. No meeting in April. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
7. May 21, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Details TBA.
8. May 31, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
9. July 20–23. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Registration is open!