Global Weekly Update April 13, 2015
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | April 13, 2015
Maternal/Child Health and Nutrition Campaign Is Underway
1. Maternal/Child Health and Nutrition Campaign. Have you started taking action yet? We have what you need!
To sweeten the offer and get you started in action right away . . . in both the months of April and May, anyone getting a letter to the editor, oped, or editorial published on the maternal/child health and nutrition campaign specifically will be entered into a drawing for a transferrable $300 credit toward the cost of the International Conference in July. Just write and report being published through our online form. Then you're entered!
Schedule those face-to-face meetings for the next recess. Prepare to make your maternal/child health and nutrition request(s) of your members of Congress. Our RESULTS Baton Rouge group, who is still very much in training, secured a face-to-face meeting with their representative only a few weeks in to the life of their group so they could share their stories and experiences and build him in to a champion for global poverty issues. They are grounded in the vast experience of our grassroots history and propelled forward by the potential that we can continue building and working together to end preventable child deaths in our lifetime! That's the power of what we do, and that's the power you bring with you to every face-to-face meeting with Congress.
Catch Up on Reporting
Why Report Your Advocacy for This Quarter? We can't have the full grasp of your impact to share with the world were it not for the task of reporting. Report your 2015 advocacy with these (streamlined and relatively painless) updated reporting sheets:
Stories Needed, REAL Change Fellow Spots Filling Fast, and More on the International Conference
1. Did You Say "$100 Registration"? Best Deal in Town! You can register for the 2015 International Conference, to be held in DC July 18-21, today. Then let folks know they can register, too, by tweeting about the conference at hashtag #NVW2015, marking National Volunteer Week!
2. Tales to Tell for Our 35th Anniversary. Did you receive your postcard inviting you to share a RESULTS story for our 35th Anniversary celebration going on this year (and particularly at the International Conference)? Send it in! Don't have a postcard? Submit your story to [email protected]!
3. REAL Change Fellowship – Extremely Popular! The REAL Change 2015-2016 class is approximately half full, and it's only April! This is a fabulous learning opportunity for young emerging leaders ages 18-30. But don't wait around. Check out the qualifications and expectations of a REAL Change Fellow and consider applying.
4. The RESULTS International Conference: What’s In It For You? April 16 at 8 pm ET and April 17 at 1 pm ET. Know someone who might be interested in coming to the International Conference but has questions? Bring that guest to this quick preview of the big event of 2015! Join the online meeting: http://fuze.me/28157166, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28157166.
5. Need to find roommates for the conference? Want to create a carpool? Seeking other logistics advice? This is the place! Subscribe to the IC Help Share e-list by sending an email to [email protected].
6. The IC Gap Fund for Global Poverty Volunteers. This fund is meant to "bridge the gap," helping with a modest-but-meaningful amount of money and supporting people who wouldn't otherwise be able to come to the International Conference. Click to apply.
7. Nominations Open for the 2015 Cameron Duncan Media Award. This award is given each year to a journalist who has demonstrated outstanding reporting on issues related to poverty. The award is named in honor of Cameron Duncan, a former associate executive director of RESULTS who devoted his life to fighting poverty. While there is no requirement for the journalist to accept the award in person, we hope the winner will join us for the International Conference this July. Along with a short nomination letter/email (2-3 paragraphs), please submit links to relevant clips from the past 12 months that demonstrate the journalist's dedication to our issues. Please send all nominations and direct any questions to Colin Smith, Director of Communications. Nominations are due Friday, April 24.
8. It's a bird . . . it's a plane . . . No, it's a RESULTS Everyday Hero! Grab your cape and running shoes and plan to join us at our 3rd Annual Everyday Hero Dash 5K/1-mile Fun Run on Sunday, July 19 at 6:30 pm ET. Don’t miss your chance to help us celebrate our everyday superheroes, and see all our RESULTS runners come out the hero when they finish. Advance registration is now open and will guarantee you a medal at the event. Race event tech shirts will also be available for purchase but will need to be purchased in advance. Click to register.
Yes, RESULTS is International!
Read up on the latest exciting advocacy success achieved by our partners in Kenya and Zambia. You'll be inspired!
April 16, 8 pm ET. The RESULTS International Conference: What's in it For You? Do you know someone who's interested in the International Conference but has questions? Bring that guest to this quick preview of the big event of 2015! Join the online meeting: http://fuze.me/28157166, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28157166.
April 17, 1 pm ET. The RESULTS International Conference: What's in it For You? Do you know someone who's interested in the International Conference but has questions? Bring that guest to this quick preview of the big event of 2015! Join the online meeting: http://fuze.me/28157166, or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 28157166.
April 24, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
April 27, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. To join, go to http://fuze.me/27781074 or (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 27781074. Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly gathering.
May 9, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar (Global Campaigns). Registration info coming soon.
July 18-21. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Registration is open.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2015 Advocacy
2015 Global Congressional Scorecard (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Background on the New(est) Members of Congress
Quote of the Week
“Don’t let complexity stop you. Be activists. Take on the big inequities. It will be one of the great experiences of your lives.”
– Bill Gates