Global Poverty Weekly Update October 28, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.”
~ Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ~
Closing the Loop
Though the US made a pledge to the Global Fund, we must still ensure the US delivers on it. Here’s the plan:
- Close the Loop with Others. Celebrate the success of the pledging conference and the US pledge of $4.68 billion over three years by closing the loop with anyone who took action, heard about the Global Fund from you, or has contributed financially to RESULTS. And continue to persist in building momentum for Global Fund support.
- Let fellow advocates know that our advocacy has worked and that they are part of the success! Share the highlights using our blog post.
- Use our Global Fund congressional online action as a tool to request cosponsorship on Global Fund resolutions H. Res. 517 and S. Res. 318 (which are still open) or to thank members for cosponsoring.
- Invite Others to Step Up. Identify one or two people in your personal and/or RESULTS network who are inspired and could take their advocacy to the next level with some support. Offer them an opportunity to take a transformational action. Use this laser talk to make your invitation. Let them know you’ll support them. And take action with them. Folks can . . .
- Publish a letter to the editor highlighting the Global Fund success, bipartisan cooperation, and what it means for the world. Use our October Action Sheet or our quick online action.
- Contact a representative or senator to ask for nutrition resolution cosponsorship via our online action, an in-district, or perhaps a conference call meeting. Even as we catch our breath, we will be moving forward with our nutrition campaign in advance of key nutrition moments next year.
- Make a Plan. Let us know your plan to grow via our online group planning form for the third trimester. And watch for more information to come on our Virtual Thanksgiving Feast online fundraising opportunity.
1. National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. November 9, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
We’ll talk about why we need to continue our advocacy – both for group growth and for ensuring that Congress delivers on its Global Fund pledge during this complicated and uncertain time in Washington, DC. More details to come!
2. Reporting. Is your advocacy reporting up to date? Now’s a great time to catch up.
3. GR Board Meeting. The first quarterly public Grassroots Board Meeting is coming Tuesday, November 12, at 9 pm Eastern time. Your elected Board members would like to hear from you: needs, suggestions, concerns, thoughts, ideas, and questions. Please join us for this one-hour, quarterly event. Dial (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 292096907. Or use meeting URL https://results.zoom.us/j/292096907. Questions? Contact Willie Dickerson.
4. National Webinar Survey. As RESULTS approaches our 40th year, we are looking for ways to streamline how we inform and support our volunteers who advocate on U.S. poverty, global poverty, or both while still maintaining the high quality of their effectiveness and impact. Our monthly national webinars are a key tool in supporting our grassroots. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts through this latest survey – we are seeking your input on our monthly webinars and how we can improve them to meet your needs. The survey will be open through Tuesday, November 12.
Virtual Thanksgiving Begins Nov. 1
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast (VTF) will kick off on November 1st! The VTF is RESULTS’ fall peer-to-peer online fundraising campaign – a chance to raise needed funds for our work to end poverty and spread the word about your great advocacy work.
You can find materials and learn more on our fundraising page under “Online Campaign” as well as at https://results.salsalabs.org/vtf2019. Contact Mea Geizhals at (202) 783-4800 x131 with any questions.
Thanks to all of our peer-to-peer fundraisers!
In anticipation of our child survival campaign work in 2020, you may be interested in this series by the Wall Street Journal titled “Bending the Curve for Mothers and Children.”
Save the Date! The next RESULTS International Conference (celebrating our 40th birthday) will be June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC.
November. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Online Fundraising Campaign.
Action Network Community of Practice. November 6, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? Then join the Action Network Community of Practice. This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm ET. Join in at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. November 9, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
New Advocate Orientation. Wednesday November 12, 12 pm. ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on next steps. Sign up here.
Global Free Agents Webinars. November 18, 1 or 8 pm ET. Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. If these times don’t work for you, contact Ken Patterson for support.
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report Your Actions – Keep Up to Date!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
- Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.