“I just want to do something to make a positive difference in the world. Advocacy has totally changed my life.”
– Minh Nguyen, RESULTS Houston
New Action Sheet! Take Advantage of the October Recess on Behalf of Reach Act
October means a congressional recess this year. And we have 201 names on the House version of the Reach Act (including the original lead). What does this combination mean? It means that now is the time to take action on the Reach Act (H.R. 3706), reaching out in-district/in-state, asking that the positive momentum behind the bill (H.R.3706/S.1911) translate into passage of the bill.
- Find your representatives and senators in your state and district. Go to their town halls and ask for face-to-face meetings using our online help so that when they come back after elections, they are ready to act by the end of the year. You can also set up a Google Alert that will automatically search the internet for information on events and e-mail you the results. Simply go to the Google alert site and follow the instructions to create an alert that will let you know when a candidate is having a public event (remember to separate your search terms by a comma).
- Follow up with congressional offices to see if they've promised to cosponsor the bill but aren't yet showing up in the official record. (Check online.)
- Follow up with offices for which you don't have an answer regarding cosponsorship of this notably bipartisan bill. Remember, you don't have a true answer until you move past "maybe"!
- *New Action Sheet Available Wednesday* Because we have so much House momentum in particular . . . if your representative is already a cosponsor, ask him/her to speak to Rep. Ed Royce, Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee, requesting that the committee move the Reach Act this year. Find out when your representative will make the request of Rep. Royce. Here is a laser talk you can use to make this request as well as a new action sheet will be available Wednesday to support your work.
- Additional talking point: Have you thanked your members of Congress for the 4.3 billion Global Fund pledge that was put forward this year on their watch? Let them know that you are thrilled with the pledge by the Obama Administration and any role they played in seeing it happen.
Find Reach Act resources online.
New survey data finds that nearly 9 in 10 people feel global extreme poverty rates have increased in the last two decades when it, in fact, has been more than halved. Check out this inspiring video and celebrate this progress. We can change this mindset and inspire people into action by hosting outreach events and informing the community of all of the progress we’ve made.
Now is the time to prepare for the opportunities of a new Congress and President in 2017. We have an exciting opportunity to inspire online advocates into offline actions by organizing powerful outreach events this fall, and educate our community on the progress we’ve made toward ending extreme poverty in the last two decades. Here’s how:
1. Set a date for an outreach event.
2. Inform your Regional Coordinator as well as Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate.
3. Invite your contacts, utilizing our outreach resources and the latest laser talk and a new outreach-focused action sheet available Wednesday.
4. If your outreach event is centered around our maternal/child health work, apply for an outreach mini-grant.
For more information, tabling materials, and other support, please reach out to Mark Campbell. We want to support you to build robust groups for the new president and Congress. Plan your outreach dates and times, and we'll support you. Be in touch with your regional coordinator. And use this link to set up a free VolunteerMatch ad for your event!
- Expansion: RESULTS will be in Manchester, New Hampshire, on October 17 and welcomes anyone interested in coming to our expansion workshop! Check out this link for more information. Our expansion staff will be making additional stops in Portland, Maine, and Philadelphia. Let us know if you have contacts in those areas as they work to grow our grassroots presence.
- Book Discussion with RESULTS Founder Sam Daley-Harris. October 25, 9 pm ET. Join Sam Daley-Harris, founder of RESULTS, as he shares what’s needed to create the political will to end hunger and the worst aspects of poverty. He’ll share lessons outlined in his book, Reclaiming Our Democracy, and from his work with the Center for Citizen Empowerment and Transformation. Find Reclaiming Our Democracy on Amazon. To join: http://fuze.me/33573378. Or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 33573378. Additional dates: November 15 and December 14.
- Fundraising: Gear up for the November 14-24 Virtual Thanksgiving Feast.
- Mark Your Calendars: July 22-25, 2017 is the date for the RESULTS International Conference. We'll have a new president and a different Congress. Timing couldn't be better to be in DC!
- Share Your Story: Do you have a story of your own advocacy that might inspire others? We're collecting stories! Click to share yours.
- Right to Education Index. The Right to Education Index website has launched! RTEI is a global accountability initiative to ensure that all people, no matter where they live, can enjoy their right to a quality education. We're proud that RTEI is a major project of RESULTS. Take a look at their intriguing work.
October 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
October 25, 9 pm ET. Join Sam Daley-Harris, founder of RESULTS, as he shares what’s needed to create the political will to end hunger and the worst aspects of poverty. He’ll share lessons outlined in his book, Reclaiming Our Democracy, and from his work with the Center for Citizen Empowerment and Transformation. Find Reclaiming Our Democracy on Amazon. To join: http://fuze.me/33573378. Or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 33573378.
November 12, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
July 22-25, 2017. RESULTS International Conference in Washington DC at the Washington Court Hotel. It's never too early to start planning!
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Global Grassroots Calendar
Report Your 2016 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board