Global Poverty Weekly Update November 20, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of November 20, 2017
Quote of the Week
"Thank you for taking the time to express your support for House Resolution 466, the Global Partnership for Education and U.S. funding for global health initiatives . . . I highly value the input I receive from citizens like you because it directly informs my voting decisions and policy positions and helps bring legislation to my attention."
– Letter to the editor by Rep. Brendan Boyle (D-13-PA) addressed to RESULTS Philadelphia advocate David Ehrenkrantz
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S.Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
We are continually grateful for the chance to be in partnership with all of you. It is a privilege to advocate together for a world free from the worst aspects of poverty – the kind of world in which we all wish to live. (Note: The RESULTS office will be closed November 23-24 in observance of the holiday.)
Leading with Action: Six Weeks to Gather Global Partnership for Education Support
Believe it or not, time is beginning to run short as we advocate for the Global Partnership for Education. With holiday time upon us, we essentially only have about six weeks for action before the February 2, 2018 GPE replenishment conference. But fantastic things can happen in six weeks. Take a look at our current GPE advocacy resources.
1. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286 opened for co-sponsors in October 5, World Teacher Day. This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer. Can we start making progress on cosponsors for this legislation?
2. House Resolution 466. As of November 22, there are 65 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington State) – including 18 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans, by early December?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Bilirakis, Bishop, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bost, Boyle, Brady, Capuano, Carson, Castor, Clay, Coffman, Cole, Conyers, Davis (D.), Davis (S.), Delaney, DelBene, DeSaulnier, Dingell, Donovan, Doyle, Engel, Eshoo, Evans, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Johnson (E.B.), Kaptur, Kihuen, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lewis, Lofgren, Lowey, Lujan Grisham, Messer, Moulton, Napolitano, Pallone, Peters, Pocan, Rooney, Rosen, Ross, Ryan, Serrano, Sessions, Slaughter, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Wasserman Schultz, Walberg, Welch, Wilson, Yarmuth, Young, Zeldin
3. Media Action Sheet. Help Us Cover All 50 States!
Utilize this November media Action Sheet to generate letters to the editor on how and why GPE support is critical at this time. The 14 states where we still need to get GPE media published in order to cover the map on this effort: Arizona, Connecticut, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota.
Breaking Through With Our GPE Message
Your Regional Coordinators recently talked about some ideas for making the case on supporting the Global Partnership for Education and making sure our message cuts through the all the conversation to really be heard and acted upon by our members of Congress. A few ideas to consider:
The Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Has Just Six Days to Go
From Hawaii to Maryland, our advocates who raise their voices to end the worst aspects of poverty are also are raising funds for change through the Virtual Thanksgiving Feast. In essence, what this means is that funds which are raised are leveraged for billions because of the multiplying effect of our volunteer's incredible advocacy.
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Friends and Family Fundraising Campaign will run through November 28. This online, peer-to-peer fundraising campaign is an opportunity to share your RESULTS work with your friends and family, grow your group, and help raise needed funds to support our work. You still have time to set up your site, share it online, and raise some of the most nimble and impactful funding we have available to us. (Or, if you can't run a campaign of your own this year, consider donating!)
Unlock a Matching Gift on Giving Tuesday, November 28
November 28 is Giving Tuesday, a national day of giving back. RESULTS is participating in Giving Tuesday with a special one-day matching offer: if we raise $5,000 on November 28, all donations will be matched 2:1! Your gift will go even further to provide resources and support for your work to end poverty. Pledge now to participate in our #GivingTuesday challenge, and we'll remind you when it's time to unlock the 2:1 match!
Could Our Free Agents Group or Our Action Network Be For You?
1. Are You In a Town With No RESULTS Group? December 18, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Come along to a RESULTS Global Free Agents webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902. This will be an inspiring call about how you can commit to taking action with us on a regular basic and be part of the RESULTS network more thoroughly. Know someone who might be interested in this call? Don't hesitate to invite them!
2. RESULTS Action Network. RESULTS groups are busily collecting up names and contact information of people who might not be ready to be part of a RESULTS group but who would like to take action twice a month. Are you one of those people? Contact Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate, for details on how to start receiving those timely actions.
Upcoming Opportunities and Calendar Items
November 20-24. Senate/House Recess.
November 23-24. RESULTS Office Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday.
November 28. Giving Tuesday.
November 28. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising Campaign Ends.
December 9, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
December 15, 1 pm ET. Final RESULTS Introductory Call of 2018. The perfect RESULTS primer for people newly interested in RESULTS. Contact us with any questions and have folks RSVP for the call.
December 18, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35703902.
December 18. Congressional Winter Recess Begins.
December 31. Last Day for Leaders for Action. We have had a group of generous donors step up to create our Leaders for Action Matching Fund. All donations made through the end of 2017 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $100,000 thanks for Leaders for Action! Donate today.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2017 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.