Global Poverty Weekly Update November 13, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of November 13, 2017
Quote of the Week
"We must do our best to ensure that all children, especially those in conflict-affected areas, have access to education because education offers opportunities – the chance to get a decent job, to escape poverty and violence and to provide for a healthy family . . . Put simply, education is one of the most important investments a country can make in its people and in its future."
– Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA-39)
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S.Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
Leading with Action: The Global Partnership for Education
Believe it or not, time is beginning to run short as we advocate for the Global Partnership for Education. With holiday time soon to be upon us, we essentially only have about six weeks for action before the February 2, 2018 GPE replenishment conference. But fantastic things can happen in six weeks. Take a look at our new GPE action sheets for November and so much more.
1. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286 opened for co-sponsors in October 5, World Teacher Day. This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer.
2. House Resolution 466. As of November 15, there are 59 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington State) – including 16 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans, by early December?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Bishop, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bost, Boyle, Brady, Capuano, Carson, Castor, Clay, Coffman, Cole, Conyers, Davis (D.), Davis (S.), DelBene, DeSaulnier, Dingell, Donovan, Doyle, Engel, Eshoo, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Johnson (E.B.), Kaptur, Kihuen, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lewis, Lofgren, Lowey, Lujan Grisham, Messer, Moulton, Napolitano, Peters, Pocan, Rooney, Rosen, Ross, Ryan, Sessions, Slaughter, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Wasserman Schultz, Welch, Wilson, Yarmuth, Young, Zeldin
3. Media Action Sheet. Help Us Cover All 50 States!
Utilize this *new* November media Action Sheet to generate letters to the editor on how and why GPE support is critical at this time. The 14 states where we still need to get GPE media published in order to cover the map on this effort: Arizona, Connecticut, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota.
(Also, check out this great infographic on how GPE works.)
Breaking Through With Our GPE Message
Your Regional Coordinators recently talked about some ideas for making the case on supporting the Global Partnership for Education and making sure our message cuts through the all the conversation to really be heard and acted upon by our members of Congress. A few ideas to consider:
The Virtual Thanksgiving Feast is in Full Swing
From Hawaii to Maryland, our advocates who raise their voices to end the worst aspects of poverty are also are raising funds for change through the Virtual Thanksgiving Feast. In essence, what this means is that funds which are raised are leveraged for billions because of the multiplying effect of our volunteer's incredible advocacy.
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Friends and Family Fundraising Campaign began Monday and will run through November 28. This online, peer-to-peer fundraising campaign is an opportunity to share your RESULTS work with your friends and family, grow your group, and help raise needed funds to support our work. Have questions? Contact Ben McGarry, Fundraising Associate, at (202) 783-4800 x141 for one-on-one support. And grab the campaign guide, too. Set up your site, share it online, and raise some of the most nimble and impactful funding we have available to us. (Or, if you can't run a campaign of your own this year, consider donating!)
Information on our Free Agent and Action Network Options
1. Are You In a Town With No RESULTS Group? Then we are outreach-ing to you! November 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Come along to a RESULTS Global Free Agents webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902. Come along for an inspiring call about how you can commit to taking action with us on a regular basic and be part of the RESULTS network more thoroughly. Know someone who might be interested in this call? Don't hesitate to invite them!
2. RESULTS Action Network. RESULTS groups are busily collecting up names and contact information of people who might not be ready to be part of a RESULTS group but who would like to take action twice a month. Are you one of those people? Contact Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate, for details on how to start receiving those timely actions.
For Your Reading List
1. Global State of Ultra Poverty Report. While there has been a great deal of progress over the last 40 years towards this goal, the harsh reality remains that we are in grave danger of missing the 2030 target unless the global community acts immediately and urgently to prioritize reaching those living in the most severe forms of deprivation on the planet – what is termed "ultra-poverty." This is the shared mission of Uplift and our partner in this effort, the RESULTS Educational Fund, and to this end we are very excited to unveil the inaugural Global State of Ultra Poverty (GSUP). Read more on our blog.
2. Global Education Monitoring Report. The 2017/8 Global Education Monitoring Report highlights the role of civil society organizations such as RESULTS Education Fund (REF) as crucial to advance the right to education and hold government to account for their legal obligations. REF’s Right to Education Index (RTEI) is one tool to help fulfill this call by focusing on national accountability, civil society engagement, and equitable distribution of rights fulfillment worldwide. Read on for more inspiring and informative details by Allyson Krupar, Senior Associate, Right to Education Index. And read more about the launch of the 2017/8 Global Education Monitoring Report in an informative report by Global Education Intern Seoyoung Hwang.
3. CNBC Report on Tuberculosis. Recently CNBC released a riveting piece shining light on the world's biggest infectious disease: tuberculosis. It illuminates the work that's left to do and why our advocacy is more relevant than ever.
4. New UNICEF Numbers on Child Survival. The annual UNICEF report on our progress in alleviating child survival is out. Dig in to see how far we've come and what's next.
Upcoming Learning and Action Opportunities
November 17, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer for people newly interested in RESULTS. Contact us with any questions and have folks RSVP for the call
November 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35703902.
November 20-24. Senate/House Recess.
November 28. Giving Tuesday.
November 28. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising Campaign Ends.
December 9, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
December 31. Last Day for Leaders for Action. We have had a group of generous donors step up to create our Leaders for Action Matching Fund. All donations made through the end of 2017 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $100,000 thanks for Leaders for Action! Donate today.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference. Enjoy videos from the great 2017 gathering, or review resources related to the workshops held at the 2017 conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2017 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.