Global Poverty Weekly Update May 22, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of May 22, 2017
Quote of the Week
"We know what to do – are we willing to put in the effort?"
– Longtime RESULTS Snohomish volunteer Willie Dickerson
Senate Letters and the Budget: The Time is Now
What did you accomplish in the First 100 Days? A lot!
Let's it keep going in the next 100 days and beyond to support global development assistance for FY18 . . .
1. Senate Global Fund/PEPFAR, TB, Maternal and Child Health "Dear Colleague" Letters
*PLEASE NOTE* Closure dates on these letters are very dynamic and have been changing. For the most up-to-date closure dates and signer lists, please consult our appropriations blog.
Keep track of our appropriations campaign on our blog.
2. Editorial Packet on the FY18 Budget. Want to see your local paper write about preserving global development assistance funding in the FY18 budget? Then pitch the story to your editors and local writers! Send this editorial packet to your local editor, asking them to issue a call for the preservation of this vital funding.
Global Partnership for Education: Action Sheet and Laser Talk
Speak Up! Friends & Family Fundraising Campaign's 2nd Week Push
Speak Up is in its second and final week! Through May 26, advocates around the country are taking this opportunity to invite friends and family (and neighbors, colleagues, community) to support their work as a volunteer advocate with a donation to RESULTS. Campaign resources are still available on our website, including talking points about our work, sample emails and social media posts to promote your campaign, should you still wish to participate. Also you'll find step-by-step instructions (with pictures) on how to set up your fundraising page.
We are in an extraordinary organizing moment. People across the country are eager to engage with the political process and make a difference in the causes they care about. RESULTS is working to take full advantage of this opportunity to build our movement of passionate, committed everyday people. RESULTS grassroots advocates are helping to raise needed funds to ensure we can take full advantage of this unique organizing moment by participating in a peer-to-peer online fundraising campaign. Let's Speak Up!
Come Along and Bring a New Advocate: The 2017 RESULTS International Conference
Join us in our nation's capital July 22-25 for the RESULTS International Conference. Check out the current list of speakers as well as the current menu of workshops that will be available at this year's International Conference. Who have you invited to attend? Can we cover all 50 states?
1. Read More About It. Enjoy the latest blog post outlining the excitement and learning that await you. Grow your knowledge with us in DC!
2. Get Help Getting There. Global poverty advocates: apply for scholarship help – what we call "gap funding." And check out our conference FAQ for cost-saving tips on flights and more.
3. Share It. Use Twitter or Facebook to showcase your enthusiasm and boldly ask someone new to join us in DC this summer.
Mark Your Calendar
1. May Group Planning. The First 100 Days may be over, but our powerful work is not. Grab our fresh 2017 Group Planning Materials to springboard off your First 100 Days success and carry forward your plans into the balance of the year. (Planning materials available for individual advocates, too!) We’ve also updated our online form where you can submit your plans: www.tinyurl.com/RESULTS2017Plans. Take time in May to complete your 2017 Group Plan Summary and submit it online no later than May 31, 2017.
2. May 23, 9 pm ET. It's Go Time, Part 2: Next Steps and Best Practices for Engaging Your Community in Advocacy Webinar. All RESULTS volunteers who want to build the number of volunteers taking advocacy actions in their communities are welcome attend this webinar. This will be an interactive webinar where we'll share best practices, coaching and learning from each other. It will build on a similar webinar held in April. Login: http://fuze.me/34577774 or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34577774.
3. RESULTS & RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member Election. Would you like to take on a leadership role in governing our RESULTS community? Do you know someone who you think would be a strong voice for guiding our national organization? We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting nominations for the RESULTS & RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member election, which will be held this summer. The two seats currently held by Vanessa Garcia and Cindy Changyit Levin will become vacant in July. This election will fill these seats, so that we continue to have four grassroots volunteers serving on our board. You can nominate someone who you think would be a strong voice representing RESULTS volunteers OR you can even nominate yourself if you want to take a bold new step in your leadership journey. Nominations will close on Sunday, May 28. For a full description of nomination eligibility and the nominations process, check out our blog.
Upcoming Learning and Action Opportunities
May 23, 9 pm ET. It's Go Time, Part 2: Next Steps and Best Practices for Engaging Your Community in Advocacy Webinar. All RESULTS volunteers who want to build the number of volunteers taking advocacy actions in their communities are welcome attend this webinar. This will be an interactive webinar where we'll share best practices, coaching and learning from each other. It will build on a similar webinar held in April. Login: http://fuze.me/34577774 or join by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34577774.
Through May 26. Speak Up: Friends & Family Fundraising Campaign.
May 26, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
May 28. Nominations Due for Grassroots Board Member Election.
May 29-June 2. House and Senate Recesses.
June 10, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
July 22-25. RESULTS International Conference in Washington DC at the Washington Court Hotel. Registration is open!
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2017 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.