Global Poverty Weekly Update May 20, 2019
Quote of the Week
“I didn’t understand the importance of civic engagement until I got involved with RESULTS.”
~ RESULTS Advocate and REAL Change Fellow Keerthi Samanthapudi ~
International Conference: Final Day for Earlybird Rate
Earlybird registration ends today, May 22. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in Washington, DC.
- Have You Booked Your Hotel? You can book your hotels through the conference site.
- Gap Funding Still Available. Our priority in 2019 is to have all RESULTS chapters represented at the conference, so our resources will be spread around. Find out more and fill out the application online.
- Your Community Can Help You Get to the IC. This letter is designed to help you garner funds locally due to the fact that your experience at the IC will be a benefit to your community. When you bring back what you’ve learned to your community, you widen the impact of the International Conference and engage in outreach.
- Nominate a Journalist for the Cameron Duncan Award. RESULTS is now accepting nominations for the 2019 Cameron Duncan Media Award. This award is given each year to a journalist or editor for outstanding work on issues related to poverty. The award is named in honor of Cameron Duncan, a former associate executive director of RESULTS who devoted his life to fighting poverty. Read more about the award and how to nominate a journalist. Nominations are due by Friday, June 7.
- Bob Dickerson Award Nominations Open. For more than 15 years, Bob Dickerson of Seattle was an inspiring RESULTS grassroots volunteer leader – tireless in his advocacy, unstinting in his encouragement and support of other activists, and a generous financial supporter of RESULTS’ work. At the IC, we seek to honor his spirit, found in our memories of him and found in the actions and attitudes of so many of our advocates. Nominate a fellow advocate today. Details are online, and the deadline to nominate is June 22.
- Where Can I Find More Information? Our main conference site is www.resultsconference.org. It’s all there for you!
House Spending Bill Signals Strong Support for Global Fund
Last week, the House Appropriations Committee reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to the Global Fund. The State and Foreign Operations (SFOPS) spending bill for fiscal year 2020 (FY20) passed out of the full committee. Most of the global health accounts and the education accounts that RESULTS volunteers focused on during our appropriations push (that started back in January) received an increase from the House marks. Click for all the details on our blog. Your Global Fund media can undergird this strong, positive indicator and help make the case for the replenishment in October. The U.S. needs to show leadership and come to the replenishment table with at least $4.68 billion toward the $14 billion minimum target.
Now, Plan and Fundraise and Write!
- Second Trimester Group Plans. Let’s plan for a summer (May-August) of success. Find the easy planning form online.
- Spring Friends and Family Fundraising Now Has a Match! The campaign is on! You can explore our resources and set up your campaign now. We have a video on how to set you your campaign, along with a starter kit and a communications kit, to help you launch well. And through May 31, donations up to $10,000 will be matched. How generously cool is that?
- Get Published on the Global Fund. Wouldn’t it be powerful if, in addition to bringing a batch of advocacy letters from home when members of your group go to the Hill during the International Conference you could also bring a stack of printed letters and editorials on the Global Fund that you helped generate? And can we generate media in all 50 states?
- An editorial packet (pitch to editors or use as basis for op-eds)
- The May Global Action Sheet and Meeting Guide. Use it to write letters to the editor and engage your community in writing letters, too. Media as outreach? Why not?
- Online media action on the Global Fund that is shareable. Why not pass it along to your action network?
Not-To-Miss Special National Webinar on Organizing June 4
Tuesday, June 4 will be a RESULTS National Webinar with Dr. Hahrie Han, 8 pm ET. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/873308801 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, Meeting ID: 873308801. And check out Dr. Han’s book, How Organizations Develop Activists: Civic Associations and Leadership in the 21st Century.
Next Congressional recess: Last week of May
May. Spring Friends and Family Campaign. Set up your campaign today – we have all the support you need.
May 22, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
May 27. RESULTS Office Closed in observance of Memorial Day.
June 4, 8 pm ET. Special all-advocate webinar on organizing with Dr. Hahrie Han. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/873308801 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, Meeting ID: 873308801. And check out Dr. Han’s book, How Organizations Develop Activists: Civic Associations and Leadership in the 21st Century.
June 5, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
June 8, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
June 17, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
June 20, 9 pm ET. Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch hosts the final installment of our book book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. Follow the syllabus and join in when you can. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page.
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.