Global Poverty Weekly Update June 22, 2015
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | June 22, 2015
Our Maternal/Child Health Campaign: Have You Taken Action This Month?
Thanks to those who have contributed to us having over 60 pieces of maternal/child health (MCH) media printed or broadcast nationwide in 2015. Let's keep going! MCH legislation in the Senate and the House is forthcoming. But we don't want the day of the legislation's introduction to be the first time our senators and representatives are hearing about this chance to save lives. Building incredible political will begins now.
First, YOU. Have you written your local newspaper and/or spoken to your member(s) of Congress about the importance of maternal/child health and the upcoming legislation? Here are your resources:
Next, Your Community!
Mark Your Calendars for Saturday, July 11
Rep. David Reichert (WA-8) is scheduled to be our guest speaker on the National Grassroots Call/Webinar for our global campaigns at 2 pm ET on Saturday, July 11. The topic? Our continuing maternal/child health campaign! Registration information for the call is forthcoming. Invite your fellow advocates to join in for a motivating, informative hour.
Now is the Time to Get Ready! International Conference Lobby Meeting Info & More
1. Preparation Checklist. Want to know what to expect? How to prepare? What to pack? Use this handy checklist as your guide, and take a look at our International Conference resources page.
2. How Do I Register? You can register online for the 2015 International Conference, to be held in DC July 18-21. Look to our dedicated conference page for all the details on logistics, agenda, etc.
3. Start Booking Your Meetings with Your Members of Congress for Lobby Day. Lobby Day is July 21, and we know that our maternal/child health campaign will be a priority issue we'll be discussing with our members of Congress. For convenience, you might try booking your Senate meetings for the morning and your House meetings for the afternoon. And please note: Group Leaders have already received information about the availability of our policy staff to meet with groups to help with Lobby Day preparation. (Need scheduling and meeting prep tips? Check out this activist milestone!)
4. Report Your Lobby Day Meetings When They're Scheduled. Once you've booked your meetings, report them via our online form.
5. Invite Your Members of Congress to the Lobby Day Reception. Customize this invitation and ask your members of Congress to join you (and us) at the July 21 Lobby Day evening reception that will cap off the end of a terrific day of advocating on the Hill.
6. Need to Find Roommates for the Conference? Want to create a carpool? Seeking other logistics advice? This is the place! Subscribe to the IC Help Share e-list by sending an email to [email protected].
7. Are You a Runner or Walker? Grab your cape and running shoes and join us at the 3rd Annual Everyday Hero Dash 5k/1 Mile Fun Run! Don't miss your chance to help us celebrate RESULTS' everyday heroes, our advocates, on Sunday, July 19, 6:30-8:30 pm, at the International Conference. Register before the early registration deadline on July 6 to guarantee that you receive a medal at the event. Race event t-shirts will also be available for purchase online, in advance. Click to register.
8. Have a RESULTS Story? Submit your favorite RESULTS tale to [email protected]!
Grassroots Advocates: We're (Still) Looking for Your Opinions!
Missed the chance earlier this month to weigh in on our survey for grassroots advocates? Here's your chance to take part! The online survey remains open for your input, so share your thoughts with us today.
June 24, 9 pm ET. Advocacy 101 Training and What to Expect at the International Conference. To join the meeting online, go to https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/28699630. Or, to join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, passcode 28699630 for audio only.
June 26, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
July 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
July 9, 1 pm ET. Advocacy 101 Training and What to Expect at the International Conference. To join the meeting online, go to: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/28699630. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, passcode 28699630.
July 11, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar (Global Campaigns). Details, including the registration link for the call, are forthcoming.
July 18-21. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Registration is open.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2015 Advocacy
2015 Global Congressional Scorecard (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Background on the New(est) Members of Congress
Quote of the Week
"Too many children die on the day of their birth and too many women’s lives continue to be cut short every day from causes that are entirely preventable. It is clear we need to do more."
– Mark Shriver, president of Save the Children Action Network