Global Poverty Weekly Update June 15, 2015
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | June 15, 2015
Our Maternal/Child Health Campaign: Have You Taken Action?
Maternal/child health Legislation in the Senate and the House is forthcoming. But we don't want the day of the legislation's introduction to be the first time our senators and representatives are hearing about this chance to save lives. Building incredible political will begins now.
First, YOU. Have you written your local newspaper and/or spoken to your member(s) of Congress about the importance of maternal/child health and the upcoming legislation? Here are your resources:
Next, Your Community!
Materials for the International Conference: Lobby Day Meeting Info, Reception Invitation, and More
1. Preparation Checklist. Want to know what to expect? How to prepare? What to pack? Use this handy checklist as your guide!
2. Wait, How Do I Register? You can register online for the 2015 International Conference, to be held in DC July 18-21. Look to our dedicated conference page for all the details on logistics, agenda, etc.
3. Start Booking Your Meetings with Your Members of Congress for Lobby Day. Lobby Day is July 21, and we know that our maternal/child health campaign will be a priority issue we'll be discussing with our members of Congress. For convenience, you might try booking your Senate meetings for the morning and your House meetings for the afternoon. And please note: Group Leaders will be receiving information very soon about the availability of our policy staff to meet with groups to help with Lobby Day preparation. (Need scheduling and meeting prep tips? Check out this activist milestone!)
4. Report Your Lobby Day Meetings When They're Scheduled. Once you've booked your meetings, report them via our online form.
5. Invite Your Members of Congress to the Lobby Day Reception. Customize this invitation and ask your members of Congress to join you (and us) at the July 21 Lobby Day evening reception that will cap off the end of a terrific day of advocating on The Hill.
6. Need to Find Roommates for the Conference? Want to create a carpool? Seeking other logistics advice? This is the place! Subscribe to the IC Help Share e-list by sending an email to [email protected].
7. Are You a Runner or Walker? Grab your cape and running shoes and plan to join us for our 3rd Annual Everyday Hero Dash 5K/1 Mile Fun Run on Sunday, July 19 at 6:30 pm ET. Can't join us in person? Then why not join us virtually? That's right! You can still join in the Everyday Hero fun and complete your own race, on your own time, and earn your medal while wearing you very own Dash t-shirt. Advance registration for the July 19 event, and virtual race option, are both open and will guarantee you a medal at the event (or mailed to your home, if you are registering virtually). Click to register.
8. Have a RESULTS Story? Submit your favorite RESULTS tale to [email protected]!
Do You Know About Our Right to Education Work?
RESULTS Educational Fund is happy to announce its partner organizations to pilot the Right to Education Index (RTEI). These five organizations where chosen from a competitive applicant pool of 15 organizations and all have a history of engaging with government and ministry officials to strengthen the education system in their country, experience in collecting information from national sources, and the capacity necessary to drive national interest and debate around education. Read more on our blog.
Sam Daley-Harris Interviewed by Thom Hartmann
Watch an interview of RESULTS founder Sam Daley-Harris on the Thom Hartmann program The Big Picture!
June 24, 9 pm ET. Advocacy 101 Training and What to Expect at the International Conference. To join the meeting online, go to https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/28699630. Or, to join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, passcode 28699630 for audio only.
June 26, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
July 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
July 9, 1 pm ET. Advocacy 101 Training and What to Expect at the International Conference. To join the meeting online, go to: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/28699630. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, passcode 28699630.
July 11, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar (Global Campaigns). Details, including the registration link for the call, are forthcoming.
July 18-21. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Registration is open.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2015 Advocacy
2015 Global Congressional Scorecard (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Background on the New(est) Members of Congress
Quote of the Week
"Too many children die on the day of their birth and too many women’s lives continue to be cut short every day from causes that are entirely preventable. It is clear we need to do more."
– Mark Shriver, president of Save the Children Action Network